HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:40 AM

U of I plans satellite campus in the South Loop

Joined by Mayor Rahm Emanuel and University of Illinois President Timothy Killeen, Rauner plans to announce tomorrow morning a project called the Discovery Partners Institute, which would be built on a 62-acre site along the Chicago River south of Roosevelt Road that is being developed by Related Midwest. Related calls the site "78" in reference to hopes of becoming the city's 78th neighborhood. The property also has been floated as a possible site for Amazon's second headquarters, which the city and state jointly are pursuing.

The institute would be funded initially by as much as $200 million in private donors lined up by the governor, according to people who've heard the pitch. Exactly what programs will be represented is unclear, but it likely would involve both the university's flagship campus and the University of Illinois at Chicago and both research and instruction activities. In broad strokes, the idea is to get academics and companies to collaborate on "pushing the art of the possible," said one executive who was pitched on the idea by Rauner. It's part of a broader innovation corridor envisioned by the governor that has multiple "nodes."

Article: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...gos-south-loop
and http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...018-story.html

SGX opens US office in Chicago

SINGAPORE Exchange (SGX) has expanded its international footprint with the opening of SGX America in Chicago.

Having a presence in the US will enable it to better serve a growing client base in this region and meet the rising international investor appetite to access and risk-manage Asian exposure, it said on Friday.

SGX chief executive officer Loh Boon Chye said: "This is an important milestone in SGX's international expansion strategy and reinforces our status as Asia's most-connected exchange.

"SGX's knowledge of the Asian markets, and the diversity of our Asia-linked futures and options will resonate with investors in North America who are increasingly looking East for growth opportunities across asset classes. A physical presence in the US will also better enable us to develop connectivity with the world's largest equities and fixed income market."

Article: http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/comp...ice-in-chicago

Chicago FinTech Startup Raises $2.1M to Help Orgs Avoid Credit Card Fees

In many transactions between consumers and businesses these days, a fee-incurring credit card is involved. Many consumers aren’t aware of it, but when they use their reward-based credit cards at a business, that business is often paying the associated fees.

For a long time, businesses had no way around this. But in 2013, new federal regulations began allowing businesses to pass the credit card fees onto their customers.

Now, CardX, a Chicago-based business-to-business FinTech startup, wants to help businesses, government organizations and educational institutions do just that. The startup, founded in 2013 by Jonathan Razi, sells credit card terminals, virtual terminals and consumer-facing online payment portals, all three of which automatically require customers to pay any associated credit card fees at their time of purchase.

Article: https://www.americaninno.com/chicago...rd-surcharges/

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:14 AM

^ Nice. From the article:

Quote:
"Given the size and depth of the market, spanning financial institutions, funds, trading firms and Futures Commission Merchants, the US is an important market for us, both for our financial and commodity derivative products," he added. "Chicago is home to a vibrant trading community with a long history in the global futures and options market, making it a natural first base for us."

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Which paper are you reading? Most of the reporting is pretty impartial, but with the volume of articles they run about new developments and corporate expansions it's laughable to argue that they're "anti-Chicago". They don't go out of their way to feature bad news, and they certainly don't praise other cities or the suburbs.

That doesn't mean they don't attack certain politicians or institutions in their editorials, but there's a literal shit-ton of valid critiques to be leveled at the city and state leadership who are often corrupt, misguided or both.
Maybe you're right. It just a general impression I've got over the years; I've felt like they laser in all negative news, while viewing any positive news with an eye of scepticism. But I have no hard evidence of that.

I do recall marothisu saying that they didn't believe his positive employment numbers for the area. If true, you do got to at least wonder about that.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Maybe you're right. It just a general impression I've got over the years; I've felt like they laser in all negative news, while viewing any positive news with an eye of scepticism. But I have no hard evidence of that.

I do recall marothisu saying that they didn't believe his positive employment numbers for the area. If true, you do got to at least wonder about that.
They have a lot of impartial stuff, but their opinion articles usually run negative to Chicago a lot of the time (not always of course). When Chicago "loses" on things, they kind of go overboard too. Like when GE went to Boston, they were writing articles as if it was only between Boston and Chicago instead of many other cities.

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
They have a lot of impartial stuff, but their opinion articles usually run negative to Chicago a lot of the time (not always of course). When Chicago "loses" on things, they kind of go overboard too. Like when GE went to Boston, they were writing articles as if it was only between Boston and Chicago instead of many other cities.
Crain's is heavy on the doom and gloom. How many articles were written on population loss before they finally started diving into the actual demographic changes that occurred? A dozen?

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:07 PM

^ To be fair, every city newspaper writes a doom and gloom article about Chicago's population every time new data comes out. Obviously not something to be proud of, but it's not really enlightening when the exact same story gets rehashed each year

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:42 PM
The City

Wasn't there supposed to be a more formal announcement today about the U of I supercampus in the south loop?

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:53 PM
પટેલ. કે ન

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Wasn't there supposed to be a more formal announcement today about the U of I supercampus in the south loop?
I think this was it

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...-officials-say

New U. of I. Research Center In S. Loop To 'Jolt' Job Growth, Officials Say

By Heather Cherone | October 19, 2017 2:30pm
@HeatherCherone

"This is a big win for the city of Chicago, and a big loss for the West Coast," said Mayor Rahm Emanuel of the Discovery Partners Institute.

SOUTH LOOP — The redevelopment of 62 acres of undeveloped South Loop riverfront will include a new public-private research facility that supporters said will deliver a "jolt" to Chicago's economy by super-charging job creation and economic development.

The University of Illinois will create the Illinois Innovation Network, which is designed to develop "solutions in computing and big data, advanced materials, food and agriculture, and biosciences and health," officials said.

The first piece of that network will be the Discovery Partners Institute, set to be built on long-vacant land near Roosevelt Road and the Chicago River donated by real estate firm Related Midwest, which plans to build a new neighborhood just south of Roosevelt Road between the river and the Metra railroad tracks.

A rendering of the Discovery Partners Institute in the South Loop. [Credit: Icon/Skidmore Owings Merrill/3XN]

The public celebration of the project came on the same day proposals were due to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, who is looking for an American city to build the tech giant’s second home.

Rauner's office said in a statement that the institute "is referenced in the City of Chicago’s bid to win the Amazon HQ2 competition.

"This is a pipeline of talent that can drive economic growth and increase competitiveness for every type of business," Rauner said.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/10/1...on-hq#comments

Today, state and local bigwigs convened along the south branch of the Chicago River to officially unveil plans for a $1.2 billion research facility. Illinois Governor Bruce Rauner was joined by University of Illinois System President Tim Killeenm, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, and Related Midwest President Curt Bailey to announce the Discovery Partners Institute (DPI) as a key piece of the sprawling 62-acre Near South Side development known as The 78.

At 62 acres, The 78 is one of the largest undeveloped parcels in the entire city. |Mark Segal

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:02 PM
The City

Kinda sounds like a lot of hoopla right now. I'm bored

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:06 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Kinda sounds like a lot of hoopla right now. I'm bored
Really? All of these massive developments coming out in the past few weeks and you're bored? You're acting like an insufferable, spoiled child. Visionary proposals may be just that, but are exciting regardless. Being a contrarian is not your strong suit; give it up, TUP.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:20 PM
પટેલ. કે ન

This is a pretty realistic final list of real candidates for HQ2

Of the listed six I would say NYC would be the least likely due to its high costs.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazo...222812878.html

Amazon HQ2 Will Likely Be One of These Six Cities

Barb Darrow

Fortune

October 18, 2017

The deadline for cities to apply to become Amazon’s second headquarters (or HQ2) is Thursday. While proposals have come from all over the map, it is unlikely that any metro area with fewer than 4 million people will make the grade, according to Everest Group, a Dallas-based consulting and research firm.

Only cities of that size are likely to have the both the basic infrastructure and base of skilled employees to supply Amazon’s needs. Amazon amzn has said the new location could eventually employ 50,000 skilled people with average annual salaries of more than $100,000. These are not blue-collar jobs, and filling skilled jobs in these numbers is not easy, Eric Simonson, managing partner of Everest’s research group, told Fortune.

Given that, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, New York, and Washington D.C. will likely be Amazon’s top candidates, according to Everest.

No other company’s office expansion plan comes close to this in scale and that poses challenges, according to Everest’s research. ...

It would be difficult for cities like Pittsburgh, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, Charlotte, Cincinnati, or Denver to scale up to 50,000 skilled workers over the next decade, according to Everest.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:28 PM
પટેલ. કે ન

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/10/1...-nast-traveler

Chicago rated top big U.S. city by Condé Nast Traveler readers

Voted second best in 2016 and third in 2015, Chicago has moved up the list once again

by Jay Koziarz Oct 19, 2017, 10:30am CDT

For the first time, the Second City was voted the number one big city in the U.S. to visit by the 300,000 readers of Condé Nast Traveler. This year’s CNT Readers’ Choice Awards saw Chicago advance one spot from its number two ranking in 2016. The lifestyle and travel publication singled-out the city’s recent culinary accolades, popular riverfront cruises, reputation for world-class live comedy, and the 2017 edition of the Chicago Architecture Biennial as contributors to its top billing.

“This title is a testament to the innovation found in our amazing architecture, the ingenuity captured at our award-winning restaurants and 67 breweries, and the congenial character of Chicagoans,” said Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel via official statement this week. “While our 77 neighborhoods each have unique cultures and characteristics, we are one Chicago, and we are proud of this distinction.”

The news coincides with City Hall’s continued push to attract more tourists to Chicago. After announcing an ambitious goal in early 2014 to draw 55 million annual visitors by the year 2020, the city is on pace to break 54 million visitors in 2017.

By Morgan Olsen
Posted: Thursday October 19 2017, 11:58am

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/blog...readers-101917

Chicago named best big city in the U.S. by Condé Nast Traveler readers

It's undeniable: 2017 is Chicago's year to shine. Earlier this year, our dining scene landed in the national spotlight after Chicago was named Restaurant City of the Year by both Bon Appetit magazine and Condé Nast Traveler. Now, for the first time ever, the city nabbed the title of best big city in the U.S., according to Condé Nast Traveler's Readers' Choice Awards. The travel mag collected “hundreds of thousands of votes” through its 30th annual survey—so many, in fact, that they had to create two lists: one for big cities and another for smaller metropolises.

Chicago swept the No. 1 spot for big cities, topping New York (second place), San Francisco (third) and Honolulu (fourth). Interestingly enough, Los Angeles didn't even make the cut. Here's what the magazine had to say about our fair city:

“Despite its ‘Second City’ nickname, Chicago is no stranger to the best: It was the center for the biggest architecture biennial in North America this year and home to a number of innovative chefs earning James Beard accolades. When in doubt, take a boat tour of the city and float beneath some of the country’s tallest buildings; catch stand-up at, well, the Second City; or see if you can actually get a reservation at Alinea, a leader in molecular gastronomy.”

If you think you're excited about this spiffy honor, just imagine how stoked Mayor Rahm Emanuel is

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
This is a pretty realistic final list of real candidates for HQ2

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazo...222812878.html

Amazon HQ2 Will Likely Be One of These Six Cities

Barb Darrow

Fortune

October 18, 2017

Given that, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, New York, and Washington D.C. will likely be Amazon’s top candidates, according to Everest.

Also Philly.

Maaaaaybe Denver could make the cut, given that it's growing and is primarily a white collar town. I know a lot of people like to think Pittsburgh is a top contender because of Carnegie Mellon... but I dunno..... It seems too small, and doesn't have the same types of innumerable flights (and presumably public transportation) like the other cities listed.

Old Posted Today, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Also Philly.

Maaaaaybe Denver could make the cut, given that it's growing and is primarily a white collar town. I know a lot of people like to think Pittsburgh is a top contender because of Carnegie Mellon... but I dunno..... It seems too small, and doesn't have the same types of innumerable flights (and presumably public transportation) like the other cities listed.
I'll be surprised if Amazon goes with a metro area under 2 million people (except for maybe Austin). The whole "close to Carnegie Mellon" or "Harvard, MIT" stuff is complete BS. Anybody who knows tech, has worked in it, and has had to staff up people of a huge size for a non research lab would never consider this to be important as far as talent goes. People who aren't in the industry seem to think that Amazon is a top company, and while they're good, it's still not the ideal landing place for graduates of programs like MIT, Harvard, and Carnegie Mellon.

Old Posted Today, 12:08 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Really? All of these massive developments coming out in the past few weeks and you're bored? You're acting like an insufferable, spoiled child. Visionary proposals may be just that, but are exciting regardless. Being a contrarian is not your strong suit; give it up, TUP.
Dude, calm down. Not being contrarian. How about a dose of realism here? Do you not see the political posturing with Rauner, Emanuel, and others having this sham of an announcement without funding, without any definitive plans, solid commitments, or any real details whatsoever? This is about getting re-elected.

I am not a fool. I love and root for solid economic development, whether economic or demographic, when it happens in Chicago. Hell, I'm the one who started this thread. But I will not sit there and gush over fantasies, especially when I've seen it over and over before without a single shovel hitting the dirt or a solid commitment.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest