HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 12:30 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
There's a "a few photos of you city" thread for that. This one is for full immersion.
But, I'm speaking as one who appreciates photos, it's still too many. Serious artistic publications would never do that. It's the limits of the human attention span.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 1:49 AM
perhaps . . .

I'm not asking for any rules, limits or changes. I stay here because of the photos - 100%. But, I have to admit, while I see so many great shots (often of one of my favorites: Montréal) in this thread, I can only take a small portion at a time. So I scroll through and stop on a few, then scroll faster and faster looking for the change of the next post. Sad to see so much good stuff go by, but I can't look at that many photos of anything, continually coming at me. I am forced by human nature to skip them.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 2:02 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Hmm... well, Martin, this isn't a mod comment, just a fellow forumer comment - if you'd be willing, perhaps split your post in two. Still post both right after each other, if you want, but just split it so the page has fewer total? I don't know. I try to do that if I remember in my thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...215126&page=17 It just keeps fewer photos on any individual page, without impacting at all how many you post.

And yes I know I'm just as bad and my city is less interesting and all of that. It's literally just a suggestion based on the above two posts. That's it.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 2:04 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We flipped to a new page at an awkward time, so...

Hit back a page to see the rest.

And check out this dude! Great photographer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmas View Post

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 3:50 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
I'm not asking for any rules, limits or changes. I stay here because of the photos - 100%. But, I have to admit, while I see so many great shots (often of one of my favorites: Montréal) in this thread, I can only take a small portion at a time. So I scroll through and stop on a few, then scroll faster and faster looking for the change of the next post. Sad to see so much good stuff go by, but I can't look at that many photos of anything, continually coming at me. I am forced by human nature to skip them.
I personally miss seeing the huge epic threads that used to be a regular occurrence in the common "My Photos" sections (and before that when it and Cityscapes and Skylines threads were merged and then divided alphabetically). I remember Kilgore, flar, -AX- and Coldayman were probably my favourites but Martin both as a photographer and his instagram compilations is definitely nearing that level. That section doesn't seem as active as it once was and I really want more. I don't mind having the posts in the common thread but I do understand why some wouldn't prefer it. Amazing posts can get lost and people aren't always prepared to devote the time and attention to huge posts when perusing a more casual thread. But when you clicked on one of their dedicated thread posts you knew exactly what you were getting into.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 5:17 AM
perhaps . . .

These giant posts are fine with me. I may not be able to process them all, but it's only a loss to me. If I just randomly scroll to every 20th photo of a Martin Mtl post I still get an amazing photo experience. I am where you (Nouvellecosse) say you were: I know to expect this in this thread. It's a good thing. I think "overposting" only happens in discussion type threads when such posts get in the way of the discourse. I also don't like it when the same photos are posted across every possible thread that the poster feels they are connected to. Frustrating.

This thread should carry on just as it is - meaning, in whatever manner it's gracious content providers wish. The rest of us: just say thank-you.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 6:29 PM
Montérégien

The last sets were GREAT !
Especially that last Montreal one, MartinMTL ! Thanks for all this work. That's one of the reasons I log in here everyday. And Christmas' work too. Your presence here is refreshing.

And to continue with my (modest) contribution to this thread even though I am away, I'll post some recent drone footage of Shawinigan. Some forumers may know that I am obsessed with towns and villages. And I don't think my love story with Shawinigan is ever going to cease

I hope you enjoy !

And message to other forumers : it's always a real treat to discover pictures of cities or towns other that TO, VAN or MTL here. I remember great posts featuring Nelson BC, Cobourg ON or Stratford ON. We even need more of Regina, Victoria, Charlottetown, London... Please, keep them coming! They're awesome. Either if it's your own work or someone else's.

so... SHAWINIGAN

Approaching downtown, above the Saint-Maurice river

Shawinigan, la cité par Serge sur YouTube

Downtown Shawi, with Saint-Pierre (left) and Saint-Marc (right) churches

The City Hall, built in 1946-1947

The tower is known as La Cité de l'Énergie (height: 115 m). It's an interactive museum that showcases the wicked industrial history of this place that was at Canada's hydro-electric vanguard at the turn of the 20th century.

Parc de l'Île-Melville, in the middle of the river

---
Watch the whole drone video here :
Video Link

Last edited by Laceoflight; Jul 22, 2017 at 6:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 6:08 PM

delete

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Jul 28, 2017 at 12:54 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
I'm the same, anymore then about 5-10 and I just scroll past. Like the last post, I just saw a few and they were great but waaaaay too many.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I'm the same, anymore then about 5-10 and I just scroll past. Like the last post, I just saw a few and they were great but waaaaay too many.
Just last month you posted a 21-pictures (giant Flickr pics at that). My last post was just 4 pictures more and all of them very light Instagram pics. And it was still waaaaaay too many for you ?

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Jul 23, 2017 at 8:07 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 10:03 PM
Ham-burgher

This is all so silly. If you don't want to look through that many photos, then don't. If you do, then enjoy! It really is that simple.

And this is a picture thread. So pictures are to be expected, whether they're a relative few in one post or a bundle.

Thanks to all who share them.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Just last month you posted a 21-pictures (giant Flickr pics at that). My last post was just 4 pictures more and all of them very light Instagram pics. And it was still waaaaaay too many for you ?

LOL not saying i'm not guilty of it but I'll try to keep it to 10 or under. Like most here are stating anymore then that and pics tend to be skipped.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
This is all so silly. If you don't want to look through that many photos, then don't. If you do, then enjoy! It really is that simple.

And this is a picture thread. So pictures are to be expected, whether they're a relative few in one post or a bundle.

And thanks to you

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 11:38 PM

Yeah thanks Martin. Keep em' coming !

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 11:46 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post

We love to see the photos, or we wouldn't click on the threads. I think it's just good practice to not overdo it. There are 20 posts per page, and if everyone posted 100 pictures, that would be 2000 photos per page, which is too much. Limiting to what a normal attention span can accommodate is just sensible, it gives more variety, and people will appreciate it more. For people posting their own photos, or otherwise, you can post unlimited numbers in the City Photos section and the Found City Photos section.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 1:45 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We went to Matturday Wright Live again tonight. Such a fun time. My favourite was buddy talking about starting a business where guys can rent dogs to hit on girls around town and if he doesn't get laid, the dog is put to sleep. "And people calls their dogs furbabies, sure that's not the same thing at all. It's not like when orphanages runs out of room they starts killing youngsters. At least, not that we know. Oh fuck off with your gasping, if you loves them that much fucking adopt one." And buddy making fun of engagement photography, "Sure I'm friends with the biggest kind of downtownie girl, I don't think she ever set foot off Water Street, and her engagement photos is all on the wharf or in the woods. And she was the biggest slut around, my God, if I said her name half the guys in this audience would know her. And she's in a white sun dress with this innocent expression on her face like, "I wonder what dick tastes like?".

And missus, "Tinder is disappointing. Like, don't just tell me you have a big dick. That doesn't tell me anything. I need to know what that was like. I need to know how you got changed in the locker room in high school and the guys gasped and your nickname was horsedick and then somehow your teacher mentioned that to your mother and then she's worried, oh God, how is he going to treat women when he grows up, I need to talk to him about his horsedick, and I need to know how awkward those conversations were, and how embarrassed you were... you can still be a feminist and vulnerable with a big dick."

And the other missus from before, "So, all of you who have been here before know me, but what you don't know: I'm gay. Yep, I came out in November. [APPLAUSE] That wasn't my parents' reaction. They're low key Trump supporters, so I figured revenge is as good a reason to come out as any - when he won, I told them."

Video Link

(Set to a Muslim girl from Kosovo who became famous in the UK - they do everything just a little better. It's still brainless pop, but with a little more insight)

Matturday Wright Live by R C, on Flickr

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jul 24, 2017 at 1:58 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:52 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Nooooooooooooo. Martin Mtl, please keep posting in whatever fashion and number you want. This little discussion need not conclude that any changes are required. The more the better: it's up to the viewer to view them all of just one. For me, I just find it interesting concerning attention span . . . I never wanted to try to change what you do. Keep it up and ignore us all!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 6:59 AM
Look at me!

I will also support Martin's frequent instagram postings. Forget the haters, keep posting.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 7:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
LOL not saying i'm not guilty of it but I'll try to keep it to 10 or under. Like most here are stating anymore then that and pics tend to be skipped.
Aside from your ADHD, YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Try playing with your fidget spinner while viewing the photos..

Relax.. spin spin.. look at the photos.. spin spin..

There you go!

No need to thank me..

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 3:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A couple of pictures from Halifax Pride. Organizers estimated the crowd at over 120,000 (I think it was 120,000 last year) and the PM was there.

Source

Source

Source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada