HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downburst View Post
^I'm (unfortunately) very unfamiliar with Philadelphia. Where is Schuylkill Yards in relation to those plans?
Pretty much the part of the outlined "study area" in the link above that is NOT over the railroad tracks.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
Not sure if anyone posted these but thee came in an email reminder for the Open House for the rail yards (capping) open house this Wed.

Updated plan summery
http://static1.squarespace.com/stati....03_PUBLIC.pdf

Summary of initial feedback
http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...inal_Small.pdf
excuse my ignorance, but is it not possible to cap the Powelton yard as well, or is the best we could ever hope for is pedestrian bridges? Was just looking at the View32 thread and it dawned on me that even after the proposed capping that those handful of blocks near Drexel would still be a bit walled off because of that yard.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab View Post
excuse my ignorance, but is it not possible to cap the Powelton yard as well, or is the best we could ever hope for is pedestrian bridges? Was just looking at the View32 thread and it dawned on me that even after the proposed capping that those handful of blocks near Drexel would still be a bit walled off because of that yard.
I hope it is possible for lightweight, woodframe construction of rowhomes along the edges. You could make some pretty expensive houses given the location, and I think it would serve to integrate the neighborhood better.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downburst View Post
^I'm (unfortunately) very unfamiliar with Philadelphia. Where is Schuylkill Yards in relation to those plans?
If you look at the renderings of this Schuylkill Yards proposal, do you see the large rail yards to the right of the planned development in these renderings?

These are rail yards for SEPTA and Amtrak. The plan is to have Schuylkill yards development completed in 20 years by 2036, and have the rail yards capped over and completely developed in 34 years by 2050.

In this rendering below, there are train tracks running down the middle. Everything to the left is this Schuylkill Yards development, plus a few other developments like the planned Cira II office tower. Everything to the right is the massing for the eventual buildings and parks that will cap those rail yards.

Again, in this rendering, everything south of the train tracks is the Schuylkill Yards proposal, everything north of the tracks is the eventual capping of the rail yards:

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 1:53 PM
Bostonian

^Summers, that's exceptionally helpful, thank you.

Obviously I need to get down to your fair city soon!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 3:40 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

Final draft of this will be made from the final meeting today (3-16-16) from 4p - 7p.

I cannot make it, but we need some development geeks there to persuade for a full capping, and to make sure they aren't trying to reduce the scope of this plan..

http://www.phillydistrict30.com/upco...street-station

Somebody Go!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 3:47 PM

^^^ While we all want full capping, just a bit more connection on the southwest portion would go a long way to filling the Powelton Yard void. Of the four exposed sections of track, there was a park over the southern-most one in the draft immediately preceding this one. Now there's no connection south of Drexel Park (but for the two proposed pedestrian bridges). Looking at the plan, it seems to me that putting money and effort into capping the area between the two pedestrian bridges would be all that is needed to fully link this to the adjacent neighborhood, if we can't get full capping anytime soon.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 3:56 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

There are only about (3) places to drive into this new neighborhood. (2) of which are lining Drexel Park where kids will be playing...BRILLIANT!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 4:12 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch+Eng View Post
There are only about (3) places to drive into this new neighborhood. (2) of which are lining Drexel Park where kids will be playing...BRILLIANT!
I count five:

-2 on Spring Garden
-2 by Drexel Park
-1 at 30th and Arch

That said, I do agree that isn't enough. I know the reason why they're not extending Arch and you can't really argue with it ... but what about Race? It's already "close enough" that the grading shouldn't be a problem.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 4:33 PM

I'm digging all this action across the Schuykill. Starting with Cira 2, it's like good looking skyscrapers are trying to get away from Comcast.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Making it difficult for drivings to get into and through is to my mind a feature, not a bug

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
I'm digging all this action across the Schuykill. Starting with Cira 2, it's like good looking skyscrapers are trying to get away from Comcast.
Maybe the skyscrapers have a height complex and just want to stand out somewhere

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 7:46 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingDutchman View Post
Making it difficult for drivings to get into and through is to my mind a feature, not a bug
Maybe, But drivers are still going to drive, and kids are still going to dart out between cars after a ball.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Maybe, But drivers are still going to drive, and kids are still going to dart out between cars after a ball.
And trucks have to make deliveries, and people will still take cabs/Uber... If we learned anything from the transit-ways and superblocks of the seventies, it's that a lack of connection and traffic flow kills a neighborhood. This thing will be like an island in the sky if it's floating above the tracks with a few "tethers" connecting it with the rest of the city grid.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 9:55 PM

Anyone who is at or went to the 30th Street District plan info meeting tonight, let us know if you found out anything interesting! I'd have go if it weren't for class

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 10:06 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

I'm headed to 30th st station in a bit. I Stopped at Slainte Pub for a couple of quick drinks.

I'm wearing black jeans, black shoes, a brown leather jacket and a gray shirt. If any of you show up, keep an eye out and say hi!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Anyone who is at or went to the 30th Street District plan info meeting tonight, let us know if you found out anything interesting! I'd have go if it weren't for class
I wish I could go! I'm trapped in the Lehigh Valley until Spring Break on Friday

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 11:51 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

So, I just got back from the open house. There wasn't really too much new news, but I'm glad I attended. There were 26 information boards on display, and some people answering questions. There were no models or anything like that. All of the display boards are expected to be on their website tomorrow, but most of the information can already be found on this thread.

I asked if they thought this project could pilfer projects from other parts of the city. I mean, I love this proposal, but would it negatively affect other parts of the city? There was really no good answer for that.

The idea of connecting the subway underneath (The blue line) with 30th street station was getting a ton of attention. It was pretty overwhelming actually.

Nothing else to report really. For some reason, I guess I expected more from the open house.

Last edited by Philly-Drew; Mar 17, 2016 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 12:03 AM

Just got back from the meeting. A new 1300 foot building! After waking up and realizing it was just a dream haha.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 12:31 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
And trucks have to make deliveries, and people will still take cabs/Uber... If we learned anything from the transit-ways and superblocks of the seventies, it's that a lack of connection and traffic flow kills a neighborhood. This thing will be like an island in the sky if it's floating above the tracks with a few "tethers" connecting it with the rest of the city grid.
There are significant grade concerns and that will muck with connectivity.

Unless you want to regrade 32nd all the way from Market to Powelton, you're not getting Race all the way across the railroad tracks as a full street. It might look flat, but there's a short section of intolerable grade right before you hit the intersection. That's why it's planned to be a pedestrian walkway: you can use a stairway with an embedded ramp for that short stretch of steep grade.

That also implies that Summer Street would be the first possible full street easement all the way across the Powelton Yards. The problem with that, though, is that Summer is a narrow interstitial street (but that doesn't mean it can't be used as a service way!).

Any cap over the bottom of Powelton Yards will be a full forty feet higher than JFK. That is one of the site's most significant long-term challenges. The planners have elected instead of link the bottom to the station area and the top to Mantua and Powelton Village, leaving the part of the yards with the greatest grade and landing challenges to be developed last.

I did gather one interesting little tidbit from the Brandywine rep (sorry, Philly-Drew, I was there when Jim Saksa and the Sic Transit Philly guy were there -- too early for you): the 950' tower is planned to be the last part of Phase 1. And that is precisely because Drexel needs to move its engineering labs before it can happen.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals