HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 7:30 PM

Repurposed 1846 Church in Ferguson's Cove

I've been driving by this one off and on for a few years now and had observed with great curiosity its slow transformation from neglected old church to beautifully renovated property.

Was surprised to see an article in the Herald today to learn that it is now a bed and breakfast.

Quote:
Built in 1846, the Stella Maris chapel in Fergusons Cove had fallen into a state of disrepair after years of sitting vacant.

Several years ago, community residents began debating what to do with the church, which abuts the York Redoubt National Historic Site and boasts coastal frontage with a spectacular view of Halifax Harbour and the open ocean.

In 2012, in search of a new beginning, Eva Kroger and Tom Foster came upon the church and saw an opportunity.

“We drove by, we happened to spot this property and we thought it was perfect,” Kroger said.

Three years later, the business partners are putting the finishing touches on a massive renovation project that saw them restore, virtually by their own hand, the church into a bed and breakfast.

“From a builder’s perspective, the building is not your typical church design; it doesn’t have the steep roof, referred to as a 10-12 pitch, and the two towers, I could change them to make them appear more like a residence,” said Foster, who is a contractor.

This is their second foray into restoring an old property, having collaborated on converting a dilapidated cottage in Hawkestone, Ont., on Lake Simcoe into a Mexican-style residence.

Once Kroger, who will manage the Star of the Sea bed and breakfast, became a registered massage therapist, the pair set their sights on a new challenge and moved to Nova Scotia from Ontario, attracted by the proximity to the ocean.

“I think, first of all, we were really struck by how lovely the people were,” she said.

“Everything just struck us as positive about this area.”

The church belonged to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Halifax-Yarmouth and was administered through St. Michael’s Parish before the pair bought the property for $240,000.

As the church, located at 4 Redoubt Crescent, is designated a municipal heritage property, they had to go through an extensive process to get their plans approved.

But they say they received “overwhelming” support from the community, particularly at public information meetings, and from Coun. Steve Adams, who helped them navigate the process.

Foster was itching to get started.

“I’m a worker; I’m anxious to work, not draw and talk,” said Foster, who will be living in a separate area of the renovated church.

It didn’t have electricity or running water so the partners brought in the appropriate workers to complete those tasks. The rest was done by Kroger and Foster in what they call a labour of love.

They built three bedroom units, one equipped with a fully stocked kitchenette allowing for longer-term stays. Each unit has a bathroom and shower, as well as a breakfast nook with ocean views.

“I know this was a big reno, but I’ll be perfectly honest, it’s bigger than I expected,” Foster said.

“I’ve done a lot of renovations, and I underestimated the effort required to bring this one in.”

Kroger will offer in-house massage in a sunroom addition. A deck that appears to extend over the water allows unobstructed views of McNabs Island, Point Pleasant Park, the harbour and the ocean.

“The cruise ships come right by here,” Kroger said. “You can see the people on the cruise ship, standing there.”

Victoria Foulger and Christopher Webb, owners of nearby Pavia Gallery Espresso Bar & Cafe in Herring Cove, were early supporters of the project and directed a couple from England to the church. They became the first guests two weeks ago.

“When I had those people here for nine days, I was nervous. It was the first time. I was like ‘What if I don’t get the breakfast done on time,’” said Kroger, who will be living nearby.

“And it went perfect. I don’t know, it just comes naturally.”

The year-round operation is accepting reservations, even as the finishing touches are being put on the project.

But Foster wants to renovate the two towers to highlight the craftsmanship that went into building the original structure.

“I’ve got the original gothic windows still from the side of the building. I want to put those, incorporate them up in there, so that you sit at a command post, so to speak, right over the harbour here — the ultimate spot to have your morning coffee.”
http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...-and-breakfast

On Google maps: https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.59872...0140701T000000

"That's what I'm talkin' about!"

I'd love to see this kind of creativity and dedication applied to more of our remaining old buildings in the downtown area. The Dennis Building as a boutique hotel? Yep... Bring it on!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues