HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news...s_tor&c_id=tor

Yep, Dustin McGowan is giving it another go; he hasn't pitched regularly in the bigs since the last time Gibbons was manager!

As alluded to in the article, the Jays are afraid they might have another Chris Carpenter scenario on their hands. They're so scared, in fact, that they've signed him to a two-year $3MM extension with an option for a third. He's pitched a grand total of 56.1 innings between Toronto and the minors since 2008! I chose the wrong profession...
He's only 30. He could conceivably put it together if his arm's healthy. There are a lot of examples of pitchers that become very serviceable in their 30s.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 2:01 AM

Yeah, it's true and I hope it's the case for McGowan. We'll see how it goes this spring.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 3:40 PM

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseba...ay_closer.html

Great news that Santos is healthy. Closer was one of the questions marks coming into this season. If Janssen also returns to form after his surgery, we'll be pretty solid in the bullpen.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 11:11 AM

Santos-Janssen-Delabar ==> Three big arms on the back end. It's been a while since the Jays could say that.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 11:39 AM

Some interesting things developing as Spring Training draws to a close.

Anybody following the Jays in the slightest will know Romero is seriously damaged goods. His issues are both mechanical and mental. Naturally, the club is behind him '100%' which can only mean one thing - he's totally buggered. They keep saying he's a lock to start the season in the rotation but given his numbers - 9.00 ERA with 12 BB in 11 IP - he won't be heading north to Toronto. It's looking more and more like Happ will make the team as the fifth starter, while Romero is destined for the DL and a future of obscurity in the minor leagues - too bad. On the bright side, it looks like we'll get to see what Happ can do over a full season.

Less interesting is the closer role. Janssen hasn't recovered from off-season shoulder surgery, so a mostly-healthy Santos will fill that role. If Santos comes up lame, then Delabar will fill in.

It also looks like Lawrie won't be ready to start the season, so DeRosa - .429 2 hr 7 rbi - will get some work at third. I would also expect Izturis to get some reps at the corner as the Jays try to work all those bodies into the lineup.

Speaking of Izturis, not sure what's happening at second yet. The Jays are obviously really high on Bonifacio but he hasn't done well defensively to date. He'll play somewhere, though, that's for sure.

Lastly, Rasmus is hitting his usual .179 and while he's not in any imminent danger of losing his job, he'd better look over his shoulder as Bonifacio, Davis and Gose jockey for position behind him. My feeling is the Jays won't hesitate to move him/ bench him if he doesn't perform - he's had ample opportunity to show his stuff to date and failed.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 5:10 PM

My opinion is that Bonifacio will get the start at 2B. And I agree with you about Rasmus. He's a solid for a start in CF but will have to perform offensively. I'm not worried about him playing CF, his defense is sound enough, it's his bat that will need to perform. Even if it's only around .240, so long as he's getting on base or driving in runs, that is what will be required of him.

As for Romero, I had hoped he would turn last season around in Spring Training, but it's looking more and more that he's carried that loss of confidence in his ability with him all winter. With hindsight the Jays should have sent him down to LV 51s last June/July when his struggles became really evident. It worked (to some extent) for Lind, and I believe that if Romero had swallowed his pride and gone down, he would have been back up soon enough with a lot more confidence and back to his 2011 season stuff.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 3:04 AM

Yeah, but his problems are not only mental, but mechanical, too. There's something seriously wrong with his delivery and nobody knows how to fix it. This is something that could take years to fix or perhaps never get sorted.

It's a good thing they have Happ to step in. Behind him they've got Bush, Vargas and Germano. Not great, really, so they've obviously got their fingers crossed that Romero will get his act together.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
Yeah, it's true and I hope it's the case for McGowan. We'll see how it goes this spring.
McGowan pitched one inning in a minor league game yesterday - no injury or soreness...yet!

You never know, we might see him at some point this season. Wouldn't that be nice if he could come back and be close to 100%?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 11:17 PM

I see Romero has been optioned down to Class A Dunedin.

Romero To Dunedin

This should give Ricky the chance to work on his mechanics without any pressure to win. It's needed, as he's not had a good Spring Training at all, and last season goes without saying the woes he went through. I quite imagine to see him back up by July, or maybe if there's some big injuries to the starting rotation.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 3:41 PM

^According to the article, this isn't the first time he's had mechanical issues. The last time it took him three years to work out! We'll see what happens this time round.

It's nice to have Happ around to fill the void. Things get a little dicey after him, though: Ortiz, Vargas, Bush, Germano, etc. On the other hand, Buffalo's going to have a nice starting rotation.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 3:43 PM

The Jays have a lot of former big league pitchers rehabbing these days. Hutchison, Drabek, Romero, McGowen, etc. If even one or two of them came back to fulfill their potential, that would really put our pitching staff over the top.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 3:58 PM

If things go according to plan, we might see all three of Hutchison, Drabek and Perez by the All-Star break. McGowan is a little ahead of them and Romero, well, who knows when he'll get sorted out. Jesse Litsch, a former promising arm, is no longer in the organisation and may never pitch again.

But yeah, there are some decent arms in the organisation that people have forgotten about, what with the likes of Johnson, Dickey, etc., arriving on the scene.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 4:59 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing Hutchinson back up. I liked what I saw from him last season before the injury. I realise he's a long way off yet, but time flies...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 2:55 PM
Beefeater

Two year deal for Happ under 10 million. Solid singing for the Jays

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 10:11 AM

^I'm very interested to see what Happ can do. My guess is he'll be ordinary but you never know - a couple years back he was 12-4 with a 2.93 ERA.

Given the way his spring has gone (4-0 1.13 ERA) and the fact that he's a UFA at year's end, I suspect Johnson will have an epic season - health-permitting, of course.

And yes, Hutchison looked good last year. Hopefully he'll come back new and improved at mid-season. The same goes for Perez. Drabek, however, I'm not sold on.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 2:50 AM
Beefeater

Ordinary is all the Jays paid for and all they need in the fifth spot, especially if they hit like we all think they can.

Who's going to the opener on Tuesday?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 12:15 AM

No such luck.

Probably just get to my usual four or five in the summer - we'll see.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 8:30 PM
GQMF

Let's Go Blue Jays! I wish I was in Tdot right now.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 10:11 PM

Am really looking forward to it. I will be at the game tomorrow.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 4:39 AM
Beefeater

Sure looks like they're griping the bats a little too hard. Pretty sure I saw a pile of saw dust in the batters box.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto