HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
Finally got a chance to go back to LA.

I was amazed at the amount of construction going on downtown, as well as the extent of the MetroRail system. Really cool stuff.

Anyhow, here is a picture of Oceanwide and Circa from yesterday:

good image hosting
Once Oceanwide is done, what a game changer for LA live/South Park.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 5:51 PM

Some recent views:

Downtown LA Skyline by Hunter, on Flickr

Metropolis & Wilshire Grand by Hunter, on Flickr

(Crane for this is being installed today)
Park Fifth by Hunter, on Flickr

Apex 2 by Hunter, on Flickr

Apex 2 from 9th & Figueroa by Hunter, on Flickr

Apex 2 from 9th & Figueroa by Hunter, on Flickr

Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza & Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

Metropolis by Hunter, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand from Metropolis by Hunter, on Flickr

8th & Spring from Los Angeles Street by Hunter, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 6:51 PM

Excellent photos, Hunter! Thank you for posting.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Here are a few new renderings of the Shenzhen Hazens development from the Downtown News. Truthfully, I'm much more bothered by the decision to scale down the project than the design revision, which I find to be less tacky and more 'tasteful' (though also quite bland, yes).

Is it me....or does this new plan look like a copy of the original LA central two tower plan ? now Oceanwide plaza... Just not as dense. Even the buildings and layout are nearly the same. Also similar to the Fig+Pico project.

Check out blackcats post on Page 4 on the Oceanwide page to see what I'm talking about.

Even besides the loss of the 3rd tower. I think we just lost big with this new update. I know some are saying that this looks better and will age better.... But this already looks old.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 3:57 AM

I don't remember if I gave my opinion on the new Hanzen design but I really dislike it. I feel as if it's just another boring staple project. Look at the old design:

Look at how vibrant it was. It had LED lighting nearly everywhere. Complimenting Circa and Oceanwide's use of the lighting district. While some lighting elements have been retained it's been reduced significantly. It was the perfect infill project. It maximized use of its land and now it's just another pair of towers with a huge podium. Not to mention the new designs for the towers are simply boring. The second phase of this project looks like something Onni would do. It's not an eyecatcher anymore IMO.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 4:44 AM

Opinions here are 50/50...

I think the old towers were a mess, looked too small for that kind of design and weren't economical.
I am glad they changed it, but there is no accounting for taste.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
Opinions here are 50/50...

I think the old design was a mess, looked too small and wasn't economical.
I am glad they changed it, but there is no accounting for taste.
I think the old design was nice...but the new design is still a nice timeless look and will be great for the area.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I think the old design was nice...but the new design is still a nice timeless look and will be great for the area.
That's very diplomatic and I think you are right about that.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 2:42 PM

As much as I didn't like the new update, this new rendering will complement the area around LA Live, just like Courtyard Marriott.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 3:38 PM

^^This photo update is tha Bomb!! Circa looks great in pictures

Alamo Drafthouse finally signed onto move into the bloc says article in LA times today. Apparently it was all lip service until Ratcovich was able to move to some form of completion. The project is 18 months behind schedule. I'm still waiting for the blue LEDs to appear on the facade of the towers

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...519-story.html

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 3:59 PM
Ascension

I'm actually glad they changed the design of the Shenzen project. I would much rather for a project to be boring and staid than loud and tacky. Even if it is across from LA Live, it'll age better than the original design.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 4:01 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Alamo finally signing the lease is big news for the Bloc and I bet that snowballs into more leases being signed over the next 6-12 months.

And that photo update is the shit. Thank you, Hunter!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 5:03 PM

If there's one thing that makes the old Hanzen design better than the new, it's the use of slanted roofs. Garcetti gave us the gift of getting rid of the flat roof helipad rule. fucking utilize it and make our skyline more interesting.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 5:11 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
If there's one thing that makes the old Hanzen design better than the new, it's the use of slanted roofs. Garcetti gave us the gift of getting rid of the flat roof helipad rule. fucking utilize it and make our skyline more interesting.
I'm not so much hung up on whether a roof is slanted/spired or not. I care more about how a project fits in with it's surroundings.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 9:05 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Slanted roofs aside, the previous design just had a better visual and compositional flow to it. The relative consistency of height and signage running the length of the podium, then up the SW tower created a visual relationship between the towers themselves, creating both horizontal, then vertical flow up the towers (which the slanted roofs most certainly accentuated). Gimmicky, yes, but it was cohesive as a whole.

The updated design feels cobbled together with the central courtyard interrupting the Figueroa street wall, 4 different podium heights along Figueroa with no sense of organization or order, signage at 4 different heights without any apparent thought to the horizontal space relationships, and tow additional stacks of inset balconies at the top of the taller tower make for a total composition that looks like a child was playing with blocks and ran out of the room when someone turned the TV on. If they address these basic issues - which are surprisingly sophomoric, considering this is a Gensler design and they are always better than this - it will be a decent infill project. I'm sure this will be a work in progress (which we saw with Metropolis), and will end up more refined than what we see now.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 9:14 PM
Ascension

I'm optimistic that the design will be refined (a few times) before it even gets approved. And even then, it's not as if it's going to start construction anytime soon. Even a year from now. The Luxe Hotel has to be destroyed before anything so this is still 2+ years from anything happening.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:48 PM

They took the crane down at 9th/hope due to some sort of damage or malfunction. A new one will be going by up. Hope street closed going north temporarily.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
The updated design feels cobbled together with the central courtyard interrupting the Figueroa street wall, 4 different podium heights along Figueroa with no sense of organization or order, signage at 4 different heights without any apparent thought to the horizontal space relationships, and tow additional stacks of inset balconies at the top of the taller tower make for a total composition that looks like a child was playing with blocks and ran out of the room when someone turned the TV on.
Street walls are not sacrosanct. The central courtyard of Rockefeller Center also opens up to the street. The trick is to arrange the forms before and after the opening so that visually the arrangement gives the impression of a continuous wall.

I agree with those who thought the previous design was more appropriate for Las Vegas. This will age much better and be more accessible.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 4:50 PM
Ascension

Some pretty big news today: the International Olympic Committee is going to award both the 2024 and 2028 Olympics as early as Monday with Paris most likely getting the 2024 games and LA getting the 2028 games. It's one of the rare situations where everyone wins.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articl...-2028-olympics

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 6:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVArch View Post
Street walls are not sacrosanct. The central courtyard of Rockefeller Center also opens up to the street. The trick is to arrange the forms before and after the opening so that visually the arrangement gives the impression of a continuous wall.

I agree with those who thought the previous design was more appropriate for Las Vegas. This will age much better and be more accessible.
Question: where does the quote in your signature come from?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations