HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 10:28 PM
TL;DR

Best guess for the designer is STL, but I can't verify. They did design Aspira's Haugan School in Albany Park, and the architecture is similar.

This is pretty toned down for STL, though... they're the type to enter global architecture competitions and so forth.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 10:51 PM
BANNED

^^^ Yeah, could be. You gotta admit the blue is pretty wild though... Can't remember the last time I saw the kind of color on a building in this city...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 11:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Actually, that's not true. Spyguy posted a rendering of a multilevel retail-only development for this site, which was called 'Lakeview Collection'. That is the project I was referring to (the older project, with residential above, has long ago bit the dust). One would hope that with a new Lakeview neighborhood master plan, suburban-style developments near this intersection would be strongly discouraged.

Still, if any of you could pass by the site you'll see what I'm talking about. What is that sign that is posted?
One would think if condos don't work at this spot then apts would....maybe convert later to condos when market returns....I was really hoping for residential / mixed use here at around 6 stories or so. I mean its what 2.5 blocks to the paulina brown line & in a happening neighborhood

I can't beleive they wouldn't consider apts.....

suburban big boxed auto shiza here would be urban design terrorism

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 10:52 AM

Structural steel is almost done on this riverbank Williams expansion at Roscoe & the north branch:

(Looking forward to some future kayak's-eye photos from our nautically inclined forumers...)

http://www.scb.com/?mainpage=2&paget...=5&seclevel=20

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 3:46 PM
BANNED

^^^ Huh? Where'd that come from and what is "riverbank Williams"?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 4:09 PM
not cleavefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
sounds like the name of the local homeless-gold-prospector

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 4:25 PM
tilted & shifted

I had high hopes of something nice and dense replacing the gas station on Halsted and Wrightwood that was recently demolished. Imagine my level of disgust when I passed by the site and discovered one of those insta-bank-branch buildings in the vein of the Western Union on LaSalle and Chicago. Surprise, surprise, the building doesn't even occupy the entire lot. Unbelievable!! There have been some nice additions to that stretch of Halsted. This is a total step backwards. The fact that it is a corner lot makes it that much harder to swallow.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 5:49 PM

I'm surprised that bank went up in relative silence here on the forum. I noticed way back when foundation work began...this wasn't going to be good. Yep, it's your typical bank branch style. Setbacks galore and surface parking + drive through. We can do so much better. There's banks all over the city that have built some nice urban structures that fill out their lots.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 6:01 PM

Quote:
I think it's the building coming up near the intersection of Roscoe and Western, behind the Jewel and now-closed Dominicks.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 7:20 PM

Was the bank a PNC green bank? They are building the same suburban junk on a prime lincoln square corner on Lincoln that could be so much better.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 8:36 PM

http://chicago.legistar.com/View.ash...E-3D4B08067088

Nice, outgoing 45th ward Alderman Levar is trying to remove the pedestrian street designation around Six Corners.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 8:39 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
http://chicago.legistar.com/View.ash...E-3D4B08067088

Nice, outgoing 45th ward Alderman Levar is trying to remove the pedestrian street designation around Six Corners.
^ Doesn't matter, since the guy that just got elected Alderman of that ward is a big advocate of pedestrian-oriented design.

Therefore, fat fuck Levar (as lovingly referred to by Chicago Shawn) will not be getting the last laugh on that issue.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Last edited by the urban politician; Apr 19, 2011 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 8:49 PM
The City

^ Take a look how much better Arena will be for the 45th ward than Jabba the Hut Levar, or that other guy who ran against him:

Development debate sparks race in Chicago’s 45th Ward
By Abdon M. Pallasch Political Reporter apallasch@suntimes.com Apr 4, 2011 02:06AM

Voters in the Northwest Side 45th Ward have a clear choice in Tuesday’s aldermanic runoff.

John Arena, 44, who owns a graphic design company, has been active in the Portage Park Neighborhood Association for more than a decade, trying to steer what he thinks is the right kind of pedestrian-friendly development to the Six Corners business district. Arena is a Democrat running with strong support from unions.

John Garrido, 43, a police lieutenant and lawyer, says he would be far less picky about development in the ward, green-lighting just about any business that wants to come in. A Republican, Garrido is endorsed by the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce.

“For the past 10 years, we have been recruiting businesses to the ward — Six Corners is a model for where we need to go. It is in a process of transition. A new restaurant is opening just behind the Klee Building,” Arena said at a forum Thursday at the Copernicus Center.

“Well, I don’t know if I would use Six Corners as a model for the ward — we’ve got a 40 percent vacancy rate, Garrido said. “They wanted to put a curb cut in there so you could actually get to parking from Milwaukee Avenue. That was blocked by my opponent. That caused businesses like Chipotle, FedEx and Caribou Coffee to pull out of there and now those storefronts still sit vacant.”

Nothing the neighborhood group did scared any business away, Arena said. And he has been involved in recruiting businesses to Six Corners for 10 years, while Garrido has not been involved. While Garrido talks about bringing a Starbucks to the ward, Arena said he has actually been talking to Starbucks for 10 years. Arena said city transportation officials rejected the curb cut because it would have created a traffic jam.

“Six corners is a pedestrian-friendly model, people first and cars second,” Arena said. “Putting parking lots in the middle of that intersection [would not work as well as] perimeter parking. What the community was advocating for was to maintain the plan.”

When CVS proposed to tear down a historic abandoned building at Milwaukee and Montrose to open a store, Arena’s group collected 600 signatures to oppose that plan and instead steer CVS to Milwaukee and Lawrence. When CVS proposed a “generic” storefront there, Arena said his group succeeded in pressuring them to use a more aesthetically pleasing design.

“You never start a negotiation by saying, ‘What’s your first offer?’ and then say ‘Yes’ to it,” Arena said. “John has consistently shown himself to not have any understanding of these issues.”

http://www.suntimes.com/news/4644859...45th-ward.html

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg View Post
I think it's the building coming up near the intersection of Roscoe and Western, behind the Jewel and now-closed Dominicks.
No, It's on the other side of the river. Roscoe and California. Kitty corner from Hot Dougs.

Used to be a one story pinball machine factory.
Williams is for Williams/Bally/Midway.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 9:53 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
WMS Gaming - they make many of the slot games you see in Vegas.

Since we're talking about schools and this area, the Lycée Français is planning to build a new school near Lane Tech designed by Krueck + Sexton, STL, and Bruce Mau. Should be interesting.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 10:39 PM
BANNED

^^^ Awesome, the more development that piles on in Avondale (though Lane Tech is pushing it), the better, even if its institutional. A K&S building will be excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
No, It's on the other side of the river. Roscoe and California. Kitty corner from Hot Dougs.

Seriously? Man there is a lot of little projects going on in this area...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 11:43 PM
TL;DR

Hopefully the Lycée Francais building is as good as Polshek's Lycée Francais in New York. The building has a great lawn on the inside of the block... the facade looks equally good with a grassy setback as it does on a dense NYC street.

flickr/Luis Bustamante

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 20, 2011 at 5:56 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post

Right; it's a long, narrow site running from California over to the riverbank, and that eastermost parcel is where the new structure is going up.
Looks like Williams is now referred to as WMS. Y'all remember Defender, Joust, and Robotron 2084, right??

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 5:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
^^^ Awesome, the more development that piles on in Avondale (though Lane Tech is pushing it), the better, even if its institutional. A K&S building will be excellent.

Seriously? Man there is a lot of little projects going on in this area...
Avondale was one of the areas that was really getting going just prior to the pop in 2007-08 some spillover from Logan Square etc.

I would not be surprised to see it take off as the market recovers. I was just discussing this with a friend in town for the first time in 10 years who now lives in Phoenix, over burgers at Kuma's Corner.

He couldn't get over how much more lively and vibrant the city seemed since he was last year and versus his autotopia in PHX

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 2:10 PM
BANNED

Yeah, I knew Avondale was starting to get going, but even so I'm impressed at the rate of the recovery that appears to beginning. There is good reason why I purchased property in the area; the building I bought was under contract for over three times the price I paid for it in 2007 before the owner got greedy and decided that wasn't enough money and cancelled the contract. Because Avondale was on the avant guard of gentrification the area just got completely destroyed when the bubble burst, but I'm betting this means it will also see the fastest appreciation once the market really gets going again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development