HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 8:25 PM

Tower 1 of CCC is going to look impressive from all angles. Also, I think I'm going to really like the skin on 222 allot. I wasn't sure there for a few days. I'm anxious to see tower 5 start to rise now also.

From this angle I think the 222's skin is going to look very sharp and impressive.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 9:46 PM

I think 222 will look pretty good when finished. I like the way the glass hangs out with large windows

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 1:42 AM

Photos From today

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 5:54 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

OK I wasn't sure if I would like the cladding, but those two floors together put it into better perspective for me at least.
I think it looks sharp, clean and modern and I think it will age nicely.

BTW is there a rhyme or reason to the cladding process? It seems to me that they are cladding it just however where ever, whenever.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 7:03 AM
Bring out the cranes...

I think the cladding will look just fine. I that last photo we almost can't see the Well Fargo tower anymore from that view.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 1:30 PM

I'm really liking the look of this glass. The way the clad breaks at the angle is very cool. Much better than if they had just fitted the angle together as would be your typical cladding. Thanks Steve for the great downtown pics this weekend!

And thankyou to the people at Hamilton, who check in regularly. Thanks for giving downtown another very classy and elegant building.

by Stevena07

Last edited by delts145; Nov 24, 2008 at 1:44 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I'm really liking the look of this glass. The way the clad breaks at the angle is very cool. Much better than if they had just fitted the angle together as would be your typical cladding.
I agree Delts, I really like the angle breaking up the clad. It might have looked cool to have an angle break on the backside as well. I'm anxious to see how the clad looks on the flat West elevation.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 5:25 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

I was driving north on I-15 today and had a chance to better see this tower from the west side. At one point it looks like there's a bunch of scaffolding surrounding Utah One, which I thought was cool. But does anybody know why there is SUCH a skyline gap between about the Keybank Tower and Utah One? It's ugly and needs to be filled up, which hopefully City Creek will do.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 6:25 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

The main reason I can think of is that there are still historic buildings of substantial height and width between 100 S and 200 S. Kearns, Tribune, and Walker. While it would be nice to have a tower built between 100 S and 200 S, I would rather not have them at all it meant we had lost any of those buildings.

CCC might help a little bit but only because of Tower 2 (Future Mayor Tower) and Tower 5 (Urban Boy Tower) because they be hugging 100 S, but these are only 19 and 20 or 21 respectively. I guess every little bit helps.

I think the only other hope we have of filling that gap from the west view is the UT WTC that is proposed for the NE corner of 200 S and State or a new tower on one side or the other of the Zions bank on the SW corner of 100 S and Main, or possibly even a convention hotel on the Salt Palace corner or in the area of DV8(formerly) and dinwoody plaza.

Preferable all of the above, that would actually widen the skyline from the south view as well.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 7:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
I was driving north on I-15 today and had a chance to better see this tower from the west side. At one point it looks like there's a bunch of scaffolding surrounding Utah One, which I thought was cool. But does anybody know why there is SUCH a skyline gap between about the Keybank Tower and Utah One? It's ugly and needs to be filled up, which hopefully City Creek will do.
Shown here in green are the places where I think substantial towers (whether commercial, residential, or mixed-use) could be located without disrupting the historic nature of Downtown Salt Lake City, and still fill in that gap you are talking about.

And to illustrate what substantial towers, located in these spots, would do to our skyline:

Last edited by urbanboy; Nov 25, 2008 at 8:06 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 7:46 AM
Always running Late

I like the look of this building. At first I thought it might be too broad and stubby like some of the other buildings in salt lake. But I think with the facade that's coming together and the snugness amongst other buildings adjoining it, makes for awesome density. It looks hawt.
Also, a question for you urbanboy in your skyline model, what will that tallest building be? is that the world trade centre or is it one of the towers in CCC? what is the proposed height of it?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 7:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
I like the look of this building. At first I thought it might be too broad and stubby like some of the other buildings in salt lake. But I think with the facade that's coming together and the snugness amongst other buildings adjoining it, makes for awesome density. It looks hawt.
Also, a question for you urbanboy in your skyline model, what will that tallest building be? is that the world trade centre or is it one of the towers in CCC? what is the proposed height of it?
Honestly, I have no idea, this was only to show how towers in these different spots could fill in the gap between our secular and non-secular skylines.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 8:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASDEN View Post

... I'm anxious to see how the clad looks on the flat West elevation.
It will probably look something like this:

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 11:52 AM

That Carl's Jr on 2nd and State really needs to go. What a waste of prime downtown space.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 4:19 PM
Traffic Engineer (EIT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justiny View Post
That Carl's Jr on 2nd and State really needs to go. What a waste of prime downtown space.
lol! This comes up about every six months. And every time I have to stand up and defend it.

SAVE THE CARL'S JR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After all, the archangel of urbanization Jane Jacobs would support it being there. Don't believe me?

Does the Carl's Jr vary in: Age? Yes. It's newer while it's surrounding buildings are older.
Use? Certainly. None of those surrounding buildings have drive-thrus. Well, the parking deck does.

Condition? Yes.

Do people use the Carl's Jr at different times than the office building, making the sidewalk busier? Yes.

Does it have a wide, functional sidewalk? I think so.

But even better: It has a giant parking lot where pedestrians can hang out.

See! It passes the Jane Jacobs Test. Therefore, I argue the Carl's Jr. gives variety to what would normally be a drab, stereotypical "urban environment."

Last edited by i-215; Nov 25, 2008 at 4:31 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 10:15 PM

It looks like they have started to put up the beams for the next part of the building (the 22nd floor and/or the cornice I take it?). The 222main.com website says it will have 22 floors but it only looks like 21 in the models. Whatever the case, they have started to put more beams up.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
lol! This comes up about every six months. And every time I have to stand up and defend it.
It passes the Jane Jacobs Test. Therefore, I argue the Carl's Jr. gives variety to what would normally be a drab, stereotypical "urban environment."
Except for the three driveways, curb cuts and the street side parking lot it isn't a bad use. Pedestrain/vehicle conflict points are the number one deterrent to walkability. The more you have, the less walkable a place is.

However, it could easily be incorporated as a ground floor use, even with the drivethrough, of a more intense use. No need to have it go away. The lot needs to have a higher intensity simply because it is in the CBD and so much could be done there.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 11:09 PM
Bring out the cranes...

222 South Main.

Photo update.

West Temple and 500 South.

South Temple and 200 West.

South Temple looking pass City Creek Center

From Main Street and South Temple

4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 12:18 AM

NICE PICS SLC Projects
I drove past 222 just minutes ago and it looks as if they have about 70% percent of the level glassed that sits between the two floors already done and the area that sticks out. They are using the same glass that they use up the middle of the tower between the break in cladding. It looks pretty bad A**.. I really cant believe people were saying this building was going to look boring. I think it ill probably be considered one of our more progressive buildings downtown.

Oh and sadly I saw a building that was the exact same style in one of the other forums... cant find it anymore but i think it was Denver

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 1:11 AM
BANNED

It's Portland, but I believe ours is taller, and the cladding is different.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West