HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 2:13 AM
Unstopable Flying Asshole

WOW Tmac those are some awesome photos! That building is lookin dang good! Im so excited for all the projects happening right now to finish and change our skyline!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 1:51 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodan View Post
WOW Tmac those are some awesome photos! That building is lookin dang good! Im so excited for all the projects happening right now to finish and change our skyline!
Speaking of changing skylines, why is there a gap between both clusters of highrises?

Between LDS cluster and Wells Fargo cluster?

sbelectric.viridian.com

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 4:38 PM
I want a 458

There are some shorter historic buildings between 1st and 2nd South, however, they will probably shoehorn some newer skyscrapers in this area in the near future... There are some residential buildings as part of CCC that will go up on 1st South but they will only be in the 200' range. If we had a 500' or so building go up in the area, it would really tie the skyline together well.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 6:23 PM

When are they going to begin cladding on the back? It's nice to see the front being done, but I'm curious as to when the back will also begin to be reflective. Are they going to wait until the parking structure is complete before beginning cladding up the building on the west side?

I really like 222 S Main. It's a completely new kind of building downtown, and it's helping to add more color. More color than we got with the buildings from the 70's/80's. Too much cream and brown in our city.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 8:46 PM

infill

Now, if we could only get a nice piece of infill like this for the Carl's Junior site(se corner of 200s. & State). That site is the biggest hole in the downtown area. If we could just fill in that missing puzzle piece, our downtown would feel much more connected and cohesive. Let's hope that 222 gets filled up soon, and the proposed World Trade Center Utah will come alive, or some other tower proposal for that site comes alive very soon!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 10:26 PM

Some of my photos are now being used on the www.222main.com website. Pretty cool to see them over there.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 5:34 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
Some of my photos are now being used on the www.222main.com website. Pretty cool to see them over there.
I hope they paid you for the photos.

sbelectric.viridian.com

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 7:51 PM

I agree whole heartedly on the Carl's Jr. corner. Of all the possible developments in downtown, the Utah World Trade Center is the one I'd pick to happen...If I had to chose just one. Not only to fill the gap, but I feel State street needs some love. Main Street is becoming very beautiful and happening, especially once CCC is finished, and the new theatre begins to happen. Now let's get some development on State Street!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 8:42 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
I agree whole heartedly on the Carl's Jr. corner. Of all the possible developments in downtown, the Utah World Trade Center is the one I'd pick to happen...If I had to chose just one. Not only to fill the gap, but I feel State street needs some love. Main Street is becoming very beautiful and happening, especially once CCC is finished, and the new theatre begins to happen. Now let's get some development on State Street!
I also say fill in your skyline so it looks like one. Though at least the each cluster is seeing development.

How strict are the laws for historic preservation? Would incorporating only the facade be sufficient?

...and now an on topic question: How much of 222 South Main has been leased? (Committed to, not an LOI)

sbelectric.viridian.com

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 9:06 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I'm not sure the exact details of historic preservation but I personally hate slapping a facade on a new building. We had those issues on both ZCMI Center mall and Crossroads. Luckily they are resusing those facades but are placing them strictly as facades on buildings that won't be bigger than the facade (did that make sense? ) We are about to lose one maybe two more anyway.

There are plenty of vacant or underutilized lots in the city that will allow us to fill in our skyline without demolishing any additional historic or old structures. The Carls Jr site is a perfect example of this. That lot along with the former DV8, vacant lot next to dinwoody and Zions, or the substation plot on W temple would all to well in filling in the skyline gap between 100 S and 200 S. As the skyline gets wider E - W it should fill in nicely.

Tower 1 will help to stretch the skyline ever so slightly to the West

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 10:24 PM
BANNED

the insides of these historic buildings are quite beautiful too; I'd hate to lose them!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 10:28 PM

While I agree, I was in favor of the way the Brooks Arcade was handled. I guess that was a unique case, but at least we still have the beautiful exterior and a very useful and productive interior.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 10:35 PM
BANNED

Ok Delts, so what if they did that to the Kerns Building, or the Boston and Newhouse buildings, or the Jvdge Building, or the Capitol Theater, or the Salt Lake Temple (just like they did with the Logan Temple), or the Joseph Smith Memorial building, or the City and County Building, or the Perry Hotel, or any of the Depots? I think you get the picture. Did you see the inside of the Brooks Arcade Building before the facadectomy? Do you even know what Downtown has lost?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 12:09 AM

Preservation ordinances only apply to exteriors. Local registers are the only protection against demolitions, national register does not have any regulations unless the owner seeks tax credits for rehabilitation. Even then, it doesn't preserve the building. There are only a dozen or so buildings downtown that are on a local register. Exchange place is an historic district, so every building in there is on the local register.

Preserving only the facade is bad preservation. I don't see much of this happening simply because of the cost. It is incredibly expensive to demo all of a building except the facade, especially when the building is over 3-4 stories.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 12:55 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Many moons ago, before the Brooks Arcade was remodeled, and before I realized the difference between food and good food, I always thought it would be cool to have a Planet Hollywood in the Brooks Arcade with the big planet placed on the corner. Remember this was MANY years ago.

I do think they did a decent job with the Brooks Arcade adaptation. While I never saw the interior it seems that the remodeled interior is meeting the needs of current businesses. I would never dream of doing anything similar to any of those buildings you mentioned UrbanBoy. I wouldn't however mind it a taller building was build behind say the Kearns Building on Main and they could leave the Kearns building exterior and interior intact and simply use the existing lobby as the lobby for the taller building behind. I just thought of that while I was typing and may regret typing it in a second, once I process the actual idea.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 12:58 AM
BANNED

I don't know, I kind of like the brick work on the sides.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 3:15 AM
I'm an Urbanizer, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Speaking of changing skylines, why is there a gap between both clusters of highrises?

Between LDS cluster and Wells Fargo cluster?
I don't exactly know, but I can speculate. I think the reason for that skyline gap actually goes back almost 150 years ago when Salt Lake City was founded. The pioneers built the city starting around Temple Square. Over the next few decades, travelers passed through and some actually settled in Salt Lake. Of course, travelers brought their cultures along with them - which didn't exactly mix well with the LDS culture. Such examples include alcohol, tabacco, bars, pubs, etc. There was also a sense of division between the two groups due to the Mormons still being affraid of out-siders after escaping persecution and the new settlers not understanding the new religion and being suspicious of it. So the Mormons kept to themselves in the northern part of town and the new settlers kept to the southern end of town. Nowadays, if you walk up main street you will see clubs and bars in the southern end and church buildings clustered at the northern end of Main St. I am assuming that high-rise buildings just sprung up where the origional cultural centers began.

Anyone else have some ideas?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 1:08 AM

This Morning

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 1:43 AM
Always running Late

the more I see pictures of this building the more I like it...
great pics t-mac...

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 1:48 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

I love that building more and more. It's going to be an early 2000's classic for SLC that's for sure!

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West