HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 7:40 PM

Fuzzy's it open. Not much construction news other than some more retail going at Shops at Legacy Park, the ABC Beverage store going on Lurleen, and the major road work on I-20/59.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 1:02 PM

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 1:34 PM

Downtown parking gains approval

AJIAN SUSHI is also going to be at the bottom ofthe apartments, Broad Street Village, on University Blvd.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 12:30 AM

City council is voting on new hotel on the Riverfront. Hopefully it gets approved.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 12:32 AM

County has ambitious plans for intersections

Can't wait to see the plans. Really like the idea to take out the parallel parking on Lurleen. Help clean up downtown.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 12:47 PM

Hotel for river front approved. If I'm not mistaken, this is the 4th hotel coming since 2012. Still awaiting construction for Regent Club Hotel, which would be Tuscaloosa's first 5-star hotel.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 6:19 PM

[QUOTE=TheCapstone;7657350]City council is voting on new hotel on the Riverfront. Hopefully it gets approved.

COMFORT INN on the Riverfront where Hotel Indigo sits near downtown? NO. That's a cheap, trash brand - they should shoot for something a bit nicer - Hyatt Place, Courtyard Marriott, etc. would suffice. Come on, Tuscaloosa. You can do better.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 6:23 PM

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/2...ntown-landmark

Great - where the YMCA is being demolished, Tuscaloosa residents will soon get to enjoy the addition of <drum rolllll> nothing. And for "a few years." Thanks First Presbyterian Church!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 9:40 PM

Development in this town outside of the unstoppable machine that is UA comes in fits and starts. Really, for right now, supply outpaces demand for commercial space in the downtown area. In any case, First Presbyterian will probably just put up a bland looking expansion there.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post

COMFORT INN on the Riverfront where Hotel Indigo sits near downtown? NO. That's a cheap, trash brand - they should shoot for something a bit nicer - Hyatt Place, Courtyard Marriott, etc. would suffice. Come on, Tuscaloosa. You can do better.
Yeah I wasn't too thrilled about it either.

Flip side, it is development and another hotel coming to T-Town- something Tuscaloosa was severely lacking in recent years.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 3:43 AM

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 3:31 PM

Looks like there could possibly be another apartment complex going downtown on Jack Warner.

ALDOT will present a plan to help traffic near downtown Northport.

New restaurant called "The Cabaret" will go on the former location of Kozy's. More restaurant news, Tuscaloosa is also supposed to get a Cajun Steamer. I haven't seen any plans for where yet though.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
Looks like there could possibly be another apartment complex going downtown on Jack Warner.

ALDOT will present a plan to help traffic near downtown Northport.

New restaurant called "The Cabaret" will go on the former location of Kozy's. More restaurant news, Tuscaloosa is also supposed to get a Cajun Steamer. I haven't seen any plans for where yet though.
Don't have a problem with more apartments on the river in that area as long as they address the River Walk like the other building did with River restaurant. That looks like a nice place and is great for Downtown.

I wonder how long until someone finally buys that awful blue/green motel just above the old train station restaurant and levels it to develop that land?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 4:41 AM

Not sure all the details behind that hideous ghetto thing, but I've been told the person who owns that land wants way too much money for its worth. Kind of messed up in my opinion, because it's such an eye sore for an area that has been revitalized.

Speaking of the river walk: New phase of Tuscaloosa Riverwalk opens to public

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 1:28 PM

Lofts at 4th and 22nd has officially broke ground

Rendering

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 4:37 PM

Comcast bringing super-fast gigabit Internet to Tuscaloosa

Unfortunately, Post Office Pies has closed. Maybe because of location, or competition against chain-pizza restaurants, but it's closed. Shame too, because it was probably the best pizza in town and served alcohol.

Also, new convenient store "T-Town Market" is coming soon. Will be nice for the students and residents to able to shop more downtown.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Comcast bringing super-fast gigabit Internet to Tuscaloosa

Unfortunately, Post Office Pies has closed. Maybe because of location, or competition against chain-pizza restaurants, but it's closed. Shame too, because it was probably the best pizza in town and served alcohol.

Also, new convenient store "T-Town Market" is coming soon. Will be nice for the students and residents to able to shop more downtown.
Where will this market be located? That's really great news for downtown. Also, those renderings at 4th and 22nd look really nice. Bravo.

One project I wish Tuscaloosa would undertake, and I may have mentioned this in the past, but I think it's probably one of the most worthwhile for the "face" of the city, is a major beautification project all the way down McFarland from the interstate to 15th street.

This is the main entrance to town for most visitors to Tuscaloosa, and it's just a hodgepodge of old rundown shops, strip malls, closed businesses, etc. with pretty much no rules on signage and landscaping or upkeep on property. If we are comparing college towns, Downtown Tuscaloosa and campus are way nicer than Auburn, but what I've noticed at Auburn is that from their interstate exit all the way down College Street (I think it's "street") to campus, it is VERY well maintained with strict signage height limitations, well-maintained streets, relevant businesses with beautiful landscaping.

Now, I know Tuscaloosa is a much older town, and McFarland has been McFarland FOREVER, but I just think it would be worth while, and money well-spent, to make this a beautiful entry into town. Our campus is WAY to impressive to have to enter down a stretch of road that is so poorly kept.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
Where will this market be located? That's really great news for downtown. Also, those renderings at 4th and 22nd look really nice. Bravo.

One project I wish Tuscaloosa would undertake, and I may have mentioned this in the past, but I think it's probably one of the most worthwhile for the "face" of the city, is a major beautification project all the way down McFarland from the interstate to 15th street.

This is the main entrance to town for most visitors to Tuscaloosa, and it's just a hodgepodge of old rundown shops, strip malls, closed businesses, etc. with pretty much no rules on signage and landscaping or upkeep on property. If we are comparing college towns, Downtown Tuscaloosa and campus are way nicer than Auburn, but what I've noticed at Auburn is that from their interstate exit all the way down College Street (I think it's "street") to campus, it is VERY well maintained with strict signage height limitations, well-maintained streets, relevant businesses with beautiful landscaping.

Now, I know Tuscaloosa is a much older town, and McFarland has been McFarland FOREVER, but I just think it would be worth while, and money well-spent, to make this a beautiful entry into town. Our campus is WAY to impressive to have to enter down a stretch of road that is so poorly kept.
I think T-Town Market is right near the Black Warrior Brewing company. Doesn't look too big, but is a nice addition.

I completely agree also on improving the entrances when you first hit Tuscaloosa. Crazy enough, I was actually discussing this to one of my friends, who coincidentally went Auburn. It's always essential to have a good first impression of a city when you first enter, otherwise people will just get turned off instantly and have that same mindset. Improving our gateways would be a huge step forward for Tuscaloosa.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 6:14 AM

Quote:
I think T-Town Market is right near the Black Warrior Brewing company. Doesn't look too big, but is a nice addition.

I completely agree also on improving the entrances when you first hit Tuscaloosa. Crazy enough, I was actually discussing this to one of my friends, who coincidentally went Auburn. It's always essential to have a good first impression of a city when you first enter, otherwise people will just get turned off instantly and have that same mindset. Improving our gateways would be a huge step forward for Tuscaloosa.
Yup - the gateways to campus itself, with the exception of 10th, are all pretty spectacular. Tuscaloosa just needs to work on the city's gateways. They're doing a nice job so far with the core, however.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:40 PM

Not development news, but Maddox wins re-election.

Development news: Phase II of renovating University Blvd has began, Work underway at new Alberta Park, and New $16 million 911 center under construction in Northport.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast