HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Like the new format?
yes 22 43.14%
no 21 41.18%
not sure yet 8 15.69%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 3:37 PM

I'm not for merging it yet...but there really hasn't been much suburban news, and I think that is due to the market slowdown moreso than lack of projects. I guess we could unmerge them at a future time, but I think the burbs will be picking up in activity shortly...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 5:12 PM

Ok, why don't we try merging them and once things get busy we'll split them again.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:27 AM
Puyo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K. View Post
Ok, why don't we try merging them and once things get busy we'll split them again.
Even though I am a Vancouver forumer, that seems allright with me..

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 11:08 PM
A before E

I think this whole subforum forum thing is hurting traffic. I don't see as many comments happening on threads as there were before.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 12:37 AM

How many posts, per day, were you seeing before the switch?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 12:52 AM

I think we see fewer simply because of the separation of Seattle and PDX forums...also, maybe the housing industry, being in a funk, has something to do with the fewer posts....especially in regards to "new-proposed" projects.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 1:12 AM

And to add to that, I think by sheer volume there are more posts but they do not appear as such because there may be one or two posts in a project thread as opposed to 15 in one mega-thread.

And just so everyone's aware, Dylan is working on creating a "new posts" function for all SSP:Local sites. This will display all posts with responses in a list but because it is a custom job this may take Dylan a little while.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 1:38 AM

I don't know the precise number, but I would agree the number of posts are down.

However, I attribute it to being a slow news time (market downturn results in fewer new projects, less buzz), and the forum being down for a couple of days didn't help either.

I do appreciate that the two suburbs threads were merged.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 3:42 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Rich View Post
I don't know the precise number, but I would agree the number of posts are down.

However, I attribute it to being a slow news time (market downturn results in fewer new projects, less buzz), and the forum being down for a couple of days didn't help either.

I do appreciate that the two suburbs threads were merged.
Yeah, some of it might be that. I think some of it has to do with some of us don't have time to click on each subforum and would just enjoy a quick rundown of all the new posts. It sounds like if Dylan is working something like that out, it will probably be a function I use over checking each page, which will be basically what I want anyway.

I don't know, maybe I am just being disgruntle to the changes, I was happy with the way things were. I was cool with grouping threads to regions, but I think this way of doing it is a bit too much for my tastes.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 4:46 AM

It's been getting slower across many cities. Just a slump in general, I guess.

Of course there is also the groups of forumers who don't like change and have taken off to ponder life elsewhere They'll eventually return, sometimes to complain some more, other times to give the new layout a try and stick around

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 5:00 AM

...with the slowdown in construction or seasonal slumps, the SSP:Local arrangements provide more opportunities to discuss urban issues. If construction is slow, there might be worthwhile topics in politics to discuss or sports, or entertainment. That's what we found with the Victoria forum where popularity would move across the board depending on popular local issues.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 5:50 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

I have not been a frequent poster lately but I have reading almost every day until the big switch. The new format is more organized, yes, but scaning the recent posts to see whats new takes three times longer now. Its really cut back on my desire to check the site. Only problem is any news on SSC is posted here the day before and the median IQ is 60% lower. I'll keep reading but I probably won't like it.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 6:11 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K. View Post
...with the slowdown in construction or seasonal slumps, the SSP:Local arrangements provide more opportunities to discuss urban issues. If construction is slow, there might be worthwhile topics in politics to discuss or sports, or entertainment. That's what we found with the Victoria forum where popularity would move across the board depending on popular local issues.

Well, there are plenty of projects and things going on here to gab about but the traffic is slower for sure. I suspect there are others like me who love the information here, but find it too difficult and time consuming to check in as often. Its like the smokers who quit only because they are not allowed to light up anywhere and have to stand outside in the cold to get the fix. If you make something difficult enough it quickly loses the appeal. There are always the die hards who will stick it out forever and even enjoy it, but I doubt as many people will stumble upon the site and get sucked in when its so complicated. There is significant turn over in membership with this and most sites like it and I'm afraid that there will be a slow decline when folks drop off and nobody will sift through this enough to get interested. Sorry about the poor writing and spelling, I'm very tired and wanted to get that off my chest before bed. Things can't stay the same forever but I'm not so sure this is a change for the better.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 9:59 PM

Guys, seriously, the few extra seconds it takes to click on the sub-forums is pretty minuscule. If I can browse all threads with new posts in under a minute or two please don't tell me it takes you an extensive time to do the same.

Every other SSP:Local forum is loving the setup and making the most of it and their enthusiasm is helping fuel support among those who are not thrilled with the changes. What I see to a lesser extend in PDX but much more pronounced in SEA is an overwhelming negative take on the whole situation and its working against the efforts of those who like the changes, voted for the changes and are making the most of them. If several sub-forums and pre-categorization of information are enough to make someone leave a forum that they otherwise respect and visit daily, there's really nothing that can be done to alleviate the real issue at stake. Sooner or later change happens, and sooner or later those individuals who have issues with change will have to face them. For those that do like the changes, I see that they're making the most of the new tools at their disposal and we're happy to see that they are.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 10:39 PM

It's working for me....which is a pleasant surprise.. Tks for making the changes.... How is that for being a suck up? Seriously, I am "surprised" that I like the changes...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 7:22 PM

People over in the Seattle section also mention the many sub-forums which require all that clicking. I still like the new format.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 1:58 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Mike - pay 'em no heed. Portlanders just like to complain.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 4:35 AM

Haha indeed we do! Portland is a complaintocracy

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 11:32 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

^ new form of government.

...also explains why we're so popular for new yorkers.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 4:51 AM

Does the forum seem kind of dead right now, or is it just me?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion