HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 4:58 AM
BANNED

^ Duh, two armed officers probably with a shotgun of their own in the patrol car, and they let an armed individual simply ride off on his bike with a weapon. No where else in North America would this have happened!

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
a guy runing around on a bike with a shot gun is grounds for a kick in the ass christ this is not a screw driver.......... this is a freaking shot gun...
the last cop to die on the streets of Winnipeg was by a screwdriver, so even pulling a screwdriver on the cops deserves a bullet!

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 2:57 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
^ Duh, two armed officers probably with a shotgun of their own in the patrol car, and they let an armed individual simply ride off on his bike with a weapon. No where else in North America would this have happened!
Ok, so incompetence it is then. I was asking because I'm sure the procedure is more than "take cover, draw weapon".

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 3:55 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

brillint were on the verge of a nurse's strike due to manigment screwing with vaction time and how it works..

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 6:06 PM
Heart of the Continent

Nurses can't actually stop work anymore. They can refuse overtime ant things like that, but they can no longer strike in the actual sense of the word.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 11:08 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg's Coalition to Save the Elms working to save itself

Last Updated: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 | 10:15 AM CT Comments7Recommend8

CBC News

The Coalition to Save the Elms is going through unsteady times, relying on volunteers to see it through after the executive director was let go in March.
The president of the non-profit charitable organization's board of directors said it could no longer afford to keep a full-time employee. Darlene Golinoski said donations are down and the group is trying to decide how to proceed.
"We want to really examine the situation," said Golinoski, adding the key to the coalition's existence may be a strong volunteer base. "That's an area that maybe we haven't put enough effort into this in our recent past. We need to be able to do that to move forward in the direction that we want."
The conservation organization was founded in 1992 in response to the growing threat of Dutch elm disease. Winnipeg's urban forest is composed of the largest American elm population in North America.
Over the years, the organization has updated its strategy to stress the inclusion of all tree species in the city. It promotes the health of the urban forest and the urban environment through public awareness campaigns and tree-banding services.
Over the years it has advocated for government funding for Dutch elm disease research at the Universities of Manitoba and Toronto, maintained vast Winnipeg tree inventories, offered workshops for the public, schools and other organizations, and published a tree owner's manual.
Although the agency is in transition, evaluating how much it can continue to do, it will certainly be there to help Winnipeggers with the tree-banding program in the fall, Golinoski said.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 10:49 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

this is getting interesting...

Province Sets New Photo Radar Rules / Class Action Lawsuit Launched
CJOB's Clay Young reporting
5/8/2009

The Manitoba Government has issued new rules to the City of Winnipeg to prevent another photo-radar fiasco that has caused an uproar among thousands of motorists.

Justice Minister Dave Chomiak told reporters Friday that the Province has cleared up any misconception the city has when it comes to using photo radar in construction zones.

Chomiak says the city has been told the rules take effect immediately. As for the 60-thousand construction zone photo radar tickets, Chomiak says they will be reviewed, but it could take weeks, and is not guaranteeing refunds.

Meanwhile, the gloves have come off on the photo radar issue. A class-action lawsuit has been filed against the Manitoba government for speeding tickets in construction zones. Lawyer Norman Rosenbaum is behind the action. He already has an outstanding suit against the City of Winnipeg for the same thing. Rosenbaum says the city and province have "unjustly enriched themselves" with revenue from the fines. He says the money was received without justification.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 7:20 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

talk about power bumps... we had a black out... whats with our grid these days

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 12:36 PM
GQMF

yeah, had a blackout at work for a good 10-20 minutes.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 4:41 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yea street lights went all out then i had a masive surge here

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 6:55 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Elvis Costello to headline Folk Festival.
CJOB News Team reporting
5/13/2009

British music legend Elvis Costello and his band The Imposters will kick off this summer's Winnipeg Folk Festival.
It will be Costello's first appearance in the city in 31 years.

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 10:55 PM
ILYR

Latest Winnipeg Crime Stats
CJOB's John Copsey reporting
5/17/2009

Crime stats released by the Winnipeg Police show an overall drop in the crime rate of 16% compared to last year.

Most notable is the drop in auto thefts... actual motor vehicle thefts are down 49%; attempted auto thefts are down 20%.

The sexual assault rate is down 38%.

Residential break-and-enters are nearly unchanged, at a slight drop of 2%. Commercial B & E's are down 29%.

It's not all good news though... shootings are up 100%, while Robberies are up 50%.

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 12:03 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

now to deal with the shootings and robberies

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 1:15 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

stumbled across this rather neat local rap rnb song apears to be quite a bit of tallet kicking around.......
Video Link

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 3:08 AM
Capitalist

not to shabby ..

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 4:48 PM
the first stamp is free

I stumbled on this article today, and I thought it would be good food for thought whenever the arguments come up regarding government controlled alcohol sales versus private operations.

Usually it's argued that Alberta has way cheaper prices (in experience, I never really noticed this myself)...but guess what province and their evil government controlled liquor sales is currently cheapest in the country for beer..?

Quote:
No point brewding about it ... our beer is Canada's priciest and there's no relief in sight for Joe and Jane Sixpack

By MICHAEL PLATT

Last Updated: 20th May 2009, 3:52am

Rebekah Jarvis pours a beer in a Calgary pub as Albertans learn they are paying more for bottled beer than anybody else in the country. (Darren Makowichuk, Sun Media)

You can cry in your beer if you want to -- but it isn't going be cheap.

Alberta, in a mere 12 months, has gone from having the cheapest beer in Canada to the most expensive suds in the country, by a long shot.

You might spit and splutter, but don't waste any.

A survey of beer prices from St. John's, N.L., to Victoria shows Albertans are paying as much as $5 more a case for the same brew.

"I'm not surprised at all -- you can blame Stelmach, because he did the worst thing, boosting taxes," said John Dong, owner of Calgary's Royal Liquor Merchants.

But alcohol taxes, which went up $1.30 a case just last month after the province decided to squeeze more revenue out of drinkers, are only partially to blame for the beer-price boom.

Over the past year, aluminium and energy prices have all increased, along with distribution costs and minimum wages.

Add sin taxes to the mix and Albertans who enjoy a cold beer have been repeatedly burned, a nickel and dime at a time.

The price of Alberta beer is now higher than in any province, a complete reversal from April 2008, when this province boasted the lowest average price in Canada for a 12-pack, at $18.42.

That Alberta advantage is now history.

Using a 12-pack of Molson Canadian as a middle-of-the-road, universally available barometer, Alberta registers a dubious place atop the price pile.

In Newfoundland, traditional home to cod cheeks, drizzle and the most expensive beer in Canada, the price of a dozen Canadian is $22.25, including taxes and deposit.

Alberta, at four random liquor stores in Calgary and Edmonton, the same beer goes for between $23.98 and $24.99, including tax and deposit.

You can start weeping now -- like it or not, we are Canada's beer-price champions.

In B.C., the same Molson product is $21.15; Saskatchewan sells it for $20.50.

Out east, in New Brunswick, the dozen goes for $20.50, with Nova Scotians paying $19.99 and P.E.I. residents handing over $20.49.

In Quebec, you can walk into a grocery store and score the Molson case for $18.12, while next door in Ontario, it's $20.50.

In Manitoba, lucky old Manitoba, a case of Canadian is a mere $18.03.

One B.C. Liquor merchant, who asked not to be named, mocked his neighbour's suffering: "You have to be kidding -- that's pretty hilarious," he said.

"Alberta has always been way cheaper. Maybe customers will cross the border and buy beer here for a change."

Those running liquor stores locally say Alberta's latest price bump, courtesy of April's provincial budget, has been a serious buzz-kill for customers.

"They're angry and they're blaming us," said Dong, who runs a quartet of stores in Calgary.

"All we can tell them is it's not our fault."

Alberta beer drinker Greg Morrell says he's not pleased about the climbing prices, and like many on a tight beer budget, he's been forced to switch brands to save money.

"I'm unhappy about it -- there are no major label brands for a reasonable price, so I have to buy the cheap stuff," said Morrell, 47.

"In response to the prices, I buy Black Label -- it's about as cheap as I can go and still find it palatable."

The government that helped push Alberta to the lonely peak of prices refuses to discuss the impact on customers -- people who once naively believed liquor store privatization would lead to cheaper suds.

Along with beer, the new taxes pushed wine prices up 75 cents a bottle and hard liquor $2.85 a bottle.

That decision, made as part of last month's budget, will add about $180 million to the $658 million raised through booze sales in 2007-2008.

Lynn Hutchings-Mah, spokeswoman for the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission, said Alberta's government wanted more revenue from liquor sales and higher prices are the result.

"The government made the decision to increase the liquor mark-up to increase revenue, and pay for programs Albertan's need," said Hutchings-Mah.

"They made the decision, and that's about all I can speak to."

MICHAEL.PLATT@SUNMEDIA.CA

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 7:50 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

reading the doors open winnipeg list theres 54 buildings this year

anyhow that church beside the disrelie on disrelie st is marked as downtown hah thats some typo iness north point douglas is considerd downtown now all the suden?
http://www.doorsopenwinnipeg.ca/buil...?cid=2&pid=107

St. Michael’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church

i used to go to daycare in the basement of that place man the memories

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 8:09 PM

^^I like this.

It would be interesting to know how much taxes on a 12 pack of beer vary from province to province. I suspect that taxes are only part of the explanation for the higher prices.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 2:32 PM
Density and complexity

I am definately going to go to St. Michael's--oldest orthodox church in W. Canada.

Last year, I think I only went to Bridgman/Bank of Montreal on Higgins and Main, St. John's Cathedral, and Bishop Velychkovsky's shrine, which was the highlight.

Then I'm going to participate in the general strike musical. I will play the emaciated North End boy, who was beat up by Marxist thugs for selling newspapers outside the sanction of the Strike Committee. Oh wait...

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 2:47 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

didn't relize st michiels is the oldest crazy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan