HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 8:27 PM

MARTA Buses for the Peach

Being that Peachtree Street is the main "Strip" of the ATL I think MARTA should do something special for the buses that run the # 110 route. I recently visited Vegas and they had special buses that ran on "The Duece" along Las Vegas Blvd aka The Strip and also on the SDX, a bus rapid transit line between downtown and The Strip. First, just call the bus "The Peach" without having it numbered. Second, have the route run frequently so that people won't have to wait. Every 8-12 minutes apart. Third, have the route run 24 hours a day. If we want Peachtree to be a 24 hour street we need 24 hour service. Last use special buses like in Vegas. Here are the two that run on the SDX and The Duece routes in Vegas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RT..._Streetcar.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CAT_Enviro500_103.jpg

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 8:29 PM

Sorry, still learning how to post the pictures up here too with the links.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 10:27 PM

I doubt that there would be any need for the route to run 24 hours but I do like the idea of using special buses for Atlanta's premier street. In fact I remember wishing Marta had done so a few years ago when they established "The Peach" route rather than just painting a few buses a peachy color.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 6:34 PM

Old Peachtree Trolley

Years ago, the 10 Peachtree had their own unique faux-trolley buses. I think it was called the Peachtree Trolley. It didn't last long, maybe a year or so. They ran all up and down Peachtree. I just remember the wooden seats were sort of rickety and they seemed kinda cheap. I think a few still carry on as the private "Peachtree Trolley" tourism buses that run downtown. Most were sold to Gaitlinburg. If you google Gaitlineburg trolley - that's them - those used to run up and down Peachtree.

I think the idea could work, these were just so cheap though. I think if you have to sell a unique bus service to get tourists on board or make a special identity type of bus. It needs to be a bit of an upgrade not just cheap faux nostalgia.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta