HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Another rendering from the Open House. I posted this on Instagram and it caused an uproar.

“We don’t want chunky, Soviet-style buildings.” said Danny Brown of Urban Strategies Inc., a design team working with Claridge on the proposal.

So then they'll have to redesign these?

The 'signature tower' is the chunkiest, brutaliest tower ever.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 2:11 PM
Busy Beaver

That Booth streetscape doesn't seem very pedestrian-oriented to me. I don't see many entrances or shopfront potential. Reminds me of Portage complex in Hull, maybe they should call it Portage V.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Flintstone View Post
I like the Idea of the proposal but those are ugly buildings
You don't like the main tower? I think it looks awesome! Too bad there's about a .05% chance it will be built like that

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I kind of take issue with this. Claridge won the competition (by default) based on extremely specific NCC criteria calling for a mid-density neighborhood. Twelve years later, they are pulling a classic bait-and-switch, proposing buildings 2 to 6 times taller (and apparently stole Richcraft's Dow Honda proposal based on the second rendering).

This is unfair for the Rendez-Vous group who will have to pay full-price for the land across the street based on a competition that called for high density and gave proponents "carte-blanche". It's also unfair for the companies who participated in the 2005 competition.

Looking forward to seeing the complete plan because so far, I fail to see how this might tie in with the first few phases Claridge has already built.

Don't get me wrong, I think the original plans should be revised based on the changes the city has incurred over the past decade; change the layout, add a few floors, better connection to Pimisi Station, but this seems a little extreme.
I don't think you can accuse them of bait and switch. The situation changed as it is now essentially 3 subway stops from downtown. It would be crazy not to increase the density. The more people we can put there the better. Claridge owns the land and they get to benefit from the increase in density. They should absolutely have to build the same percentage of affordable housing or substitute some other public good but otherwise it's the NCC's fault they only got $4.4 mil.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMEng View Post
“We don’t want chunky, Soviet-style buildings.” said Danny Brown of Urban Strategies Inc., a design team working with Claridge on the proposal.

So then they'll have to redesign these?

The 'signature tower' is the chunkiest, brutaliest tower ever.
Some of the windows on the 55 storey tower look like the ones on the National Defence building next to the Rideau Centre.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
That Booth streetscape doesn't seem very pedestrian-oriented to me. I don't see many entrances or shopfront potential. Reminds me of Portage complex in Hull, maybe they should call it Portage V.
It reminds me of Place de Portage too.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 3:10 PM

With the right architecture, this could be a really excellent addition to the emerging Lebreton Flats neighbourhood.

Active frontage on Booth and good integration with Pimisi station will be key. I'm going to choose to be optimistic at this time but I'm guessing there's at least a better-than-even-odds-chance Claridge will find some new and creative way to disappoint.

Anything that even hints at brutalism should be killed with fire. It's so important we get this right that I'd be supportive of bringing back the pillory on the front lawn of city hall or on Parliament Hill and slap any architect responsible for brutalist designs in them to make an example of them.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Some of the windows on the 55 storey tower look like the ones on the National Defence building next to the Rideau Centre.
Seems like it's a quick copy/paste of other buildings. I can understand that perhaps they didn't put a lot of time into it yet, as its still early days.

Top = The Merit
Lower Down = Jazzy Portage
Even Lower = Complete copy of NDHQ
Bottom = Truss? Transamerica Pyramid?

Tower 'E' = 66 Slater (or any number of other 1970's downtown office vernacular), but more brutalist.

As for Booth Street, with no parking integrated into the street design, there's a slim to none chance that people will walk on the street, especially if the pathways and trails along the aqueduct will be a faster route for condo commuters.

I have to question whether the light rail in it's current configuration is a mistake. If the city is about to expand down to Lebreton with thousands of new residents, should the rail line not be covered, Booth street lowered to grade, and public land reconnected along the length of the tracks? We might be making a big mistake by not burying the rail line now while we had the chance to do it right.

Having said all that, I have to say, cudos to Claridge for trying, and I encourage them to keep at it. This type of development is what Lebreton has been lacking forever, and it is sorely needed if the library, transit, etc. is to be a success.

I'm glad we're even having this discussion, it could be worse, we could be watching grass grow for another 50 years instead.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Another rendering from the Open House. I posted this on Instagram and it caused an uproar.

The tallest one is pretty damn ugly IMO.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 5:48 PM

I look at this last image particularly at ground level and it doesn't appeal to me from the pedestrian perspective. Some buildings face the street, others don't. How do we make it a people place with this arrangement? It just looks like a place that would be cold and windswept.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 6:09 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Claridge proposes 55-storey-tower, grocery store for East LeBreton Flats

Craig Lord, OBJ
Published on January 10, 2017

Claridge Homes says it wants to turn a barren plot of land near the Canadian War Museum into a 1,600-unit, five-tower complex aimed at mixed-income households.

The proposed LeBreton Flats development, unveiled at an open house on Monday, would include one 55-storey tower alongside three 25-floor buildings as well as a 30-storey structure. The property already features several residential buildings, including a 15-storey structure east of Lett Street. Claridge Homes will need to apply for a zoning amendment in order to construct towers at its proposed height.

Whether the units will be condominiums or rentals is not yet clear, but planners say that mixed-tenure housing is likely.

Included in the design is a podium connecting the two tallest towers with an area set aside for retail space and services. Claridge Homes intends to include a grocery store in this space but has yet to secure a tenant.

Danny Brown, a planner with Toronto-based Urban Strategies hired by Claridge to create the proposal, says the proposed height and density of the towers is necessary to operate a grocer in the complex.

“The density of the 55-storey tower … is kind of the threshold of people you need to make a large-format grocery store viable,” he says.

Mr. Brown calls the inclusion of a grocer in the proposal a “no-brainer” to add value to the community.

“It’s something people living near LeBreton have been asking for.”

Claridge purchased the 4.4-hectare property from the National Capital Commission for $8 million more than a decade ago after being the only developer to submit a bid.

At the time, critics said many builders were turned off by the NCC’s strict development conditions, such as energy efficiency standards, affordable housing components and a bland colour scheme.

While Claridge’s first buildings on the site were panned by some residents as being too ordinary for such a prominent site, Neil Malhotra – the developer’s vice-president – told OBJ in 2012 that future phases would likely change the minds of many people.

On Monday, the looming shadow of a 55-storey tower gave some residents at the open house pause, but the grocery store seemed to win a few minds.

Andrea Ryan, a nearby resident, called the tower “imposing,” but wasn’t ready to dismiss the project on account of height alone. The idea of a grocery store nearby helps to balance the scales, as does the fact that it will likely take many years for any shovels to break ground.

Mike Johansen, another area resident, agrees that a grocery store is a much-needed asset in the neighbourhood. He says that while the area is highly accessible by bus and incoming LRT, getting groceries via transit is still awkward for most households.

Coun. Jeff Leiper, who represents the neighbouring Kitchissippi Ward, says there’s a lot to like in the proposal, such as the open spaces and available amenities, but the project needs to be focused on accessibility and transit going forward.

He says Albert and Booth streets are “awful” for pedestrians, and would like to see a more complete streets strategy going forward. He warns that this proposal, alongside the development at 900 Albert Street and the National Capital Commission’s major LeBreton Flats overhaul, will stress these streets like never before.

“These sites will only be successful if they’re focused on transportation,” Mr. Leiper says.

Ramon Ross, who lives above the escarpment overlooking the proposed development, is concerned about the precedent set by the creeping heights of developments in the city. However, like Ms. Ryan, he isn’t yet getting upset about a project that is still many years from completion.

“I’m interested in what is going to practically be built in the short term,” Mr. Ross says. “It looks interesting. You’ve got to build something there.”

Mr. Brown says that the specifics in this initial proposal are subject to a great deal of change, and that with a great degree of uncertainty surrounding the development, that may be a good thing.

For one, several incoming developments surrounding the East Flats will affect the kinds of services that may be implemented.

Across the road, west of Booth Street, is the site of Rendez Vous LeBreton’s development. Several proposed commercial elements were approved by the NCC, but it remains to be seen how many of those proposals will actually be built.

“Whether or not that comes to fruition and how that build-out happens over the next 10 to 15 years might have significant impact on what kinds of uses are attractive for our side of Booth Street,” Mr. Brown says.

Claridge Homes’ proposal also includes plans for both affordable and seniors’ housing. The proportion of space provided for these uses in the development will significantly affect the cost of the development, which Mr. Brown couldn’t speculate at this time.

The timeline for development remains hazy as well. Following this open house, depending on the overall public response, the development team could submit their application to the city within a few weeks or a few months. Mr. Brown estimates the approval process will take a year after that and, if everything moves as smoothly as possible, the first tower may be up in four years at the earliest.

“There’s just a lot of question marks,” he says.

Mr. Brown says that the podium and two tallest towers, with intended grocery store, are likely to be constructed in the first phase of development.

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Reside...Breton-Flats/1

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Flintstone View Post
My exact feelings.

Can someone show me at least 3 good looking claridge buildings.

I need to be shown that claridge isn't that bad. I want to be fair.
They have a few that aren't total fails. 700 Sussex (plain, but quality), the Pinnacle, TriBeCa.

I wonder if this is why they bailed out from the competition west of Booth. They realized there's a lot more money to be made increasing the density of the land they bought for a song than paying full price for the rest of the Flats.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 9:18 PM

Just had a thought. Maybe they want to up-zone their remaining Flats holdings to then flip it for profit. You know, like Phoenix. We can dream, can't we?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 9:20 PM

Quote:
I wonder if this is why they bailed out from the competition west of Booth. They realized there's a lot more money to be made increasing the density of the land they bought for a song than paying full price for the rest of the Flats.
There's a lot that happens behind the scenes. This proposal and their backing out of the NCC competition are probably correlated in some way and probably have cooperation/alignment of ideas with other interested parties. That's my guess.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
You don't like the main tower? I think it looks awesome! Too bad there's about a .05% chance it will be built like that
I Hope so. I just think with such an aggressive change you would at least suggest something much more ambitius.

Quote:
They have a few that aren't total fails. 700 Sussex (plain, but quality), the Pinnacle, TriBeCa.
Those are pretty good, don't really like The Pinnacle though.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 11:54 PM

Is Phase I sold out? How long did that take to complete? Timeline on these - how are they selling all these units?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:14 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

It's not an unreasonable proposition to ask for more height now, given the new TOD-oriented reality of the Flats, even though they "won" the original NCC competition based on much lower density. However, I think that the NCC should add a new stipulation of "architectural excellence" in return. You want the height, Claridge? Then turf Rod Lahey in favour of an international design competition, the built results of which must exactly match the renderings.

Last edited by rocketphish; Jan 11, 2017 at 12:37 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 5:59 AM

I guess I like neo-brutalism because I love the signature tower haha...such a nice change from the standard glass cube form you see all over Toronto and Vancouver.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 12:37 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

On Claridge, car-less culture and living in the clouds

Kelly Egan, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: January 10, 2017 | Last Updated: January 10, 2017 9:32 PM EST

No car, no yard, waking up in the sky, seeing a whole river below: our Ottawa in the 21st century.

This, evidently, is how some planners and builders see the city’s future. Claridge, in particular, is already building a 45-storey highrise on Preston Street, overlooking Dow’s Lake, with some 320 units stacked to reach 160 metres, or 60 metres higher than the Peace Tower, formerly our sacred ceiling.

Now, only two kilometres due north, Claridge is pitching a 55-storey tower in a five-building package on its lands at the east end of LeBreton, a big jump in density from earlier plans. One imagines penthouse occupants, when the clouds clear, waving at each other across the length of Preston.

Claridge unveiled its reimagined plan for the eastern Flats at a public meeting Monday. There were picture boards and oatmeal cookies and the ever-stylish George Dark of Urban Strategies Inc. in a dark-purple jacket with a red chalk stripe, Ray-Bans and bracelets. As to which floor he lives on, we forgot to inquire, but we know his Toronto footprints are all over town (Lansdowne, Centretown, University of Ottawa, 20 years of consulting), now LeBreton, where he is advising Claridge.

Some questions arise:

1. Do the numbers work?

Eventually, Ottawa might resemble Toronto, where canyons of highrises grow up around subway stations. But will LRT, with a station at LeBreton (Pimisi), and a shortish first-phase (ends at Tunney’s) have this kind of dramatic effect?

Some figures to chew on: Ottawa had 528,365 registered motor vehicles in 2010 and in 2013 the figure was 552,227. So we still love our cars. Annual ridership on OC Transpo hit 103.5 million in 2011 and has been below 100 million ever since. Condo construction, meanwhile, fell dramatically in 2016. Why? Too many unsold units on the market. In October 2016, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. reported there were 535 new but unsold condo units in Ottawa, down from the all-time high of 699 in February.

So Claridge is planning a total build of 1,650 units on the Flats, nearly double the 850 in the original plan. Though many of these will be rentals, or aimed at seniors, or designed as “affordable” housing, one does wonder if the market forces are present — or emerging — to support it all. One other thing to throw into the mix: only a month ago, we heard of a plan by Trinity Developments to put up three towers — 59, 55 and 50 storeys — on Albert Street across from the Bayview Station, at the western end of LeBreton. Does it all hold up?

Dark sees it as nothing less than the westward extension of the city’s core, static for decades.

“We’re actually watching downtown Ottawa go into what is going to be west downtown, into a vast territory of land,” he said, jumping from board to board. “LRT has great power to drive influence.”

2. What about the “other” LeBreton?

The first question that popped into my head about the Claridge proposal is how does it affect the RendezVous/Melnyk plan to bring an NHL arena downtown — AND — build five neighbourhoods with a total of 4,000 units? If I were Sens owner Eugene Melnyk, I wouldn’t be too thrilled about a competing developer putting up a signature 55-storey building — and four smaller but still substantial towers — across the street from where my shovel goes in the ground.

Would it make more sense to co-ordinate the two plans? Possibly, but now we’re dealing with a handful of private landowners and a city that is already encouraging highrise development around transit stops in the 30- to 40-storey range. After waiting all this time for a workable LeBreton plan, does it not seem the two halves could be warring with each other?

Dark says they’ve looked at the RendezVous plan and don’t see negative impacts. “One isn’t stealing from the other. They’re all reinforcing each other.”

3. View stealing.

I ran into a newly retired friend who just moved into a 14-floor condo on the edge of LeBreton that has views looking north and west. She spent a good deal of time Monday trying to assess how much of the 55-storey tower she’ll have to stare at every waking hour from her big windows and balcony. This is not a trivial matter. It’s a big part of buying where you buy. Fast-forward 10 years. Will we be in an era when every new giant tower — and the RendezVous bid is full of them — is stealing the view from the place right beside or behind it?

That’s the thing with living in the sky. There is always higher.

To contact Kelly Egan, please call 613-726-5896 or email kegan@postmedia.com.
Twitter.com/kellyegancolumn

http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/col...-in-the-clouds

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 3:11 PM

Kelly Egan has a very peculiar knack of being against any kind of change or improvement. The very fact that developers have determined that there is significant demand for these formerly poisoned and toxic lands—land bulldozed and vacant for more than a half century—should in and of itself be cause for great optimism.

If you don't want to buy a condo in Lebreton, guess what: don't buy one. Plenty of other people seem to be interested. I'm surprised the Ottawa Citizen would pay for an article that's basically just Egan's recitation of things he doesn't personally like about a specific lifestyle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa