HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted May 27, 2006, 6:32 PM
Hub for an Empire

Relating to a prior comment:

At one point, several years ago, they were talking about including Western Montana -Kalispell and Missoula areas into the State of Columbia.

I do think the world is a smaller place then is was 20 or 30 years ago! I remember when the "cheapest" airfare to Seattle was $150 RT and $200 RT to Portland! (In 1980's dollars!) Even 12 years ago a major airline couldn't support a flight to Boise, it was only the smaller Prop Jets! With the internet, lower travel expenses and cell phones.....the world looks pretty small and everything is global now....IMO! Seems we are more connected....so that is why, mainly, I don't think we will not see any new State forming, unless something major happens politically!

Urban, it would be strange to see Vancouver annexed to Oregon.....but then I do see it as part of the Portland Metro area......I think maybe we need to re-look at 20th concepts relating to Metro areas/Population Statistics in the 21st Century. I think Metro population and trading population means more than City Population and which city is larger. That is not saying I have formed an opinion on this type of annexation! I think it depends on each city/region.

Inland....glad to see things are happening in the Lake City! I'll be happy to see the VOX Tower taking shape next Spring...knock on wood!

Old Posted May 27, 2006, 6:42 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Inland.. well I hope they keep the Riverstone design remains fairly close to the way it was to include it's original height.. I thought it was an impressive looking proposal that would tie into the Lake City nicely but with the obvious from residential to commercial you can expect some dramatic changes. Looking at it much of the outer parts of tower could be gone with the basic structure and height remaining....

Hub... So have you heard any new news on the Vox?

Last edited by oilcan; May 27, 2006 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2006, 9:47 PM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ All is quiet on the Spokane front! Guess time goes slow when you want the Skyline to change drastically! Last I heard, he was going to start the project next November....no other news there.
I'm wondering more about the Rookery Block, since last week they said he could start demolition on Tuesday, but I don't think anything came officially from the owner. That was mainly from the T.V. news and don't think they heard anything official.
I do think the owner loves the power he holds over the community.
No legacy from him yet for Spokane/Inland Northwest...how sad!

P.S. Love the above rendering.....wish it was in Spokane though!

Old Posted May 27, 2006, 10:02 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Thanks Hub! I have been searching I guess when you have such a spirt of projects/proposals it is sit and wait time.... How is the progress on the Davenport Tower going?

Old Posted May 28, 2006, 12:02 AM

I was just downtown today at the davenport hotel and I looked over at the tower. It is coming along nicely. Seems like now that they have the first two floors framed out, it will go alot faster. They have a total of three floors framed out with pre-constructed concrete walls. At first I was wondering how they would be able to complete a 20 story tower in 1 year, but when I saw the concrete walls I understood how they can complete it so fast. Not much steel involved at all. I still think thy will be doing 24/7 work on the building near the end. It seems like they will be able to frame out about 1 floor per week. Just my guess.

Old Posted May 28, 2006, 2:54 AM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ I was impressed on Bloomsday Weekend on how far they were.
Does the construction method look secure? Seems like on a 18-19 story building there should be steel reinforcement or the building might collaspe in a wind storm? ...at least in Eastern Washington....earthquakes are seldom and usually minor!
I guess the Empire State Building was completed in 1 1/2 years to top, so guess, if they have the construction method down, it should go quickly.
It should be interesting to see the facade to take shape. I'm mellowing my outlook on the exterior. I guess if the Valet Parking of the hotel and Garage across the street are going to match.....it will give the area a style "theme".
I just prefer the Washington Trust Tower myself to the Stucco Style of the above buildings.

Guess we should hear soon on the Open house to the public for the Convention Center Expansion......it should be next month.

Old Posted May 28, 2006, 4:30 AM

^^^ I agree Hub. I would prefer more of a glass and steel structure, but it will add somewhat of a theme to the area as well as a little color to the skyline. The structure looks safe. I really don't see any concerns or problems arising with the soundness of the structure.

Speaking of the convention center......last I heard was that they will have an open house on June 14th. I am excited to see the inside. In addition, I noticed that along division heading south they have installed some neon lights along that metal wall they constructed to make it more asteticly pleasing. The neon lights will highlight different artwork they will place in each of the metal wall panels. It will kinda add some gateway appeal to downtown when coming from the northside when that is completed. I just wish they would place more emphasis on constructing a nice gateway when coming off of division street exit. It is just so terrible!!!!!

I think it would be cool if a bunch of us on this forum and others that feel the way we do about Spokane start some sort of grass roots campain to do something about downtown gateways. I think if we could gather funding for construction in cooperating with some major corporations, downtown improvement district, and city council to raise funding they council should be able to raise maintainence funding. Don't u think or am I just dreaming?

Old Posted May 28, 2006, 5:37 AM

Arrow

For some pics and an explanation of the design concept for the Convention Center artwork go here:

www.metrospokane.org

Old Posted May 28, 2006, 2:39 PM
Hub for an Empire

I'm glad they are putting up the mural......the convention center expansion needed it! I'm surprised about the neon lights.....should be a nice addition! I would have designed more windows on the north side of the expansion project, so that way drivers can view through the building -south and north- when they are driving both directions on Division St. It really blocks the view of the U.S. Pavilion when driving Northbound and the Skyline when driving Southbound. A few window panels on both corners would have given some hint beyond the building for people on Division St. The building does block views and needs to blend in to it's environment....especially since it sits in beautiful Riverfront Park!

I e-mailed the Mayor in Febraury about sprucing up the entrances.....mainly it was relating to Sprague and Trent Avenues, since my brother (he lives in the Boise area) made a comment to me about the two areas of town. He stated there was "nothing there" and was runned down. I told him Spokane was an old community (for the west) and he was driving in an Industrial area. He agreed and stated even Seattle has it's bad sides. Let's face it.....Spokane is an older city and didn't expand the last few years like Boise has.
Anyway, I thought a good insight from an outsider would be good for the Mayor to hear, especially since Mayor West was going to work for better entrance enhancements for the city! Maybe, after I-90 is finished with repaving, they plan to do something? The city website is a good place to inform Council Members about any concern... they usually e-mail back, if they aren't overwhelmed with responses.

June 14th is a Wednesday.......I would think they would do the Open House on a Saturday/Sunday?

Old Posted May 28, 2006, 3:51 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

^ I saw some of the art proposed on that site.. I was not too crazy about the "arrowheads" or as they look to me long pointing arrows instructing drivers to "drive this way" instead of trying to embracing our Native American culture in art IMO.. This is a huge area of interest and with the busiest street in Spokane "Division" entering into downtown there (while understanding there is not to much room to work with) it is important to make sure it is done right for first impressions heading into the core of the city.. But I do like the Neon lights heading into the city! Little Spokane meets Vegas....

I do like the older architecture I could see how other cities in the NW/West with the exception of Seattle or Portland and Tacoma could not be familiar with the older architecture and look at it as being rundown.. however, as I stated many times I love it, would take them any day over a 2-4 story glass structure and patches of grass... There are some great shops in that area grew up spent much of my time in Spok en Sport and up the road in what was Boo Boos snowboard shop.. And with the East side of downtown taking off many of those "old gems" will be brought back to life and new constructed buildings will look like older era buildings with brick etc.....

This is what I am not too crazy about:

Last edited by oilcan; May 28, 2006 at 4:09 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2006, 4:40 PM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ It's better than looking at the loading docks of the new Convention Center Expansion! To me, it looks like a feather. You are right, I'm not crazy about the arrows.

I agree Oilcan, Spokane is fortunate to have it's older buildings. I accept the city as it is, and realize that it will be changing, like it has over the years. Some people are less generous on accepting the condition. ...I do get frustrated with them. Spokane is an older city for the west.....and we are lucky to have a rich historical hertitage. The mountains on all sides, gives this area a protected natural boundary we call the Inland Northwest/Inland Empire.....we don't have to have a State to define it, since it was formed naturally after the Ice Age. Spokane has made huge strides in the last five years or so.

Old Posted May 28, 2006, 4:54 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Good morning and well said Hub... Yes it is a lot better than loading docks... I do think when Art is brought up in Spokane it is def in the eyes of the beholder that is what is great about art... but some blunders have been made IMO that should of had more thought... took me a while to get use to Harrold Blaze's (One of my grandmother's old jewlery students) pieces floating around in Riverfront Park but I got use to it and appreciate it escpecially with the Oprah House in it's back drop.. it is one of my fav's now... That monstrosity of art work at the Bus/Train Station up the road?..... ohhh... they should of slowed down and really thought of that one, will never get use to that one! ha ha. Stone Henge gone totally wrong......

Last edited by oilcan; May 28, 2006 at 5:23 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2006, 8:51 PM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ I kind of like the Stonehenge in front of the Train Station.
As I recall a comment from one of my old art classes at the U of I........." I don't know much about art, but I know what I like!".......or something close to that statement. Guess it is true.

For those interested...... went downtown today......they have Tony Bamonte's older edition of the Manito Park book on clearance at Aunties for $9.98. Nothing happening at the Vox Tower site. I did notice the Washington Trust outlet (low version) on Second Ave. painted the same color as the Davenport Hotel buildings......should fit in once the tower gets going, since it's one block south. Looks like the Jos Bros store is up for business, but I didn't go over there. Poor Mohawk and Rookery Buildings....wish I could snap my fingers ........ I'd get things rolling.

Old Posted May 28, 2006, 9:24 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Thanks for the info Hub!

I understand the tie in with the Davenport area kinda thought it would all start going that way... it is good it will add to that district giving it it's own style I guess. As far as the Rookery...(we have done our fair share of talking) I agree it is indeed sad that a great piece of Spokane's history is gone but at this point in the game I think putting it out of it's misery and hoping a developer will step forward with a clean slate to work with probably is the best option at this point IMO.... Did you happen to check out the old Wells Fargo building and the remodeling going on there?

Old Posted May 29, 2006, 2:19 AM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ I drove by it, but didn't pay attention to it since I was looking at the Rookery Block and the Bank of Whitman Builiding. Speaking about the B of W.....seems it is advancing slowly.
Did notice the Boat on the Blvd........... I really prefer the old color of the the Opera House and Doubletree Hotel.....the flat gray really doesn't grab me. Sorry.

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 3:29 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

interesting..

Found this in the Review today:

Opera House naming rights go to Inland Northwest Bank
Alison Boggs
Staff writer
May 30, 2006
Inland Northwest Bank has agreed to a 10-year, $1.5 million sponsorship of the Spokane Opera House.
The Opera House will be renamed the INB Performing Arts Center following approval of the deal by the board of the Spokane Public Facilities District today at noon, said Kevin Twohig, executive director of the PFD.
The contract will take effect later this summer, about when a new marquee was scheduled to be installed. That marquee, event tickets and other signs will sport the building's new name.
"It will probably take a year to get all of that in place," Twohig said.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 2:40 AM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ I wonder if the Arena will be the next sponsorship?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 5:26 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Yes sir Hub I can see that happening soon...

"Dick's Hamburger Arena"

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 6:22 AM

Brett is one smart cookie

Opera House enters new aria
Downtown icon renamed INB Performing Arts Center

Alison Boggs
Staff writer
May 31, 2006

The name "Spokane Opera House" became a thing of the past Tuesday as the downtown building was renamed as part of a 10-year, $1.5 million deal with Inland Northwest Bank.

The Opera House, which was built for Expo '74, will now be known as the INB Performing Arts Center. Guests soon will see that name on tickets, signs and a new marquee scheduled to be installed this summer.

It was the second sponsorship deal announced within the past few months as the Spokane Public Facilities District tries to raise additional money to help pay for maintenance and planned renovations. In March, Group Health announced that it had entered into a multiyear contract to be the name sponsor for new Convention Center exhibit hall, at a cost of $75,000 per year. The PFD continues to pursue naming rights to the Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena and to the Convention Center.

Brett Sports initially proposed the corporate naming idea and has a contract to market it. Under the contract, Brett Sports will receive 15 percent of the sponsorship contract for the INB Performing Arts Center. Over the contract's 10-year life, that will total $225,000.

Brett Sports receives 15 percent of any naming rights contract to the Convention Center and a 13.5 percent cut for the Arena. That included the Group Health Exhibit Hall, which earns Brett Sports an $11,250 annual payment.

PFD Executive Director Kevin Twohig said the additional money helps provide needed maintenance at the buildings. The Performing Arts Center will need at least $8 million worth of work over the next 10 years and the Arena about $12 million over the next 35 years, Twohig has said in the past.

About $4 million worth of work is scheduled to take place this summer as the Performing Arts Center is shut down for two months to update restrooms, expand the women's bathrooms and add family restrooms on each floor. The cooling system for the building also will be replaced, updating it and separating it from the Convention Center's system. And the front of the building will be relandscaped with benches, drinking fountains, trees, shrubs and grassy space.

"This will help pay for that," Twohig said. "It just really helps the whole financial equation."

Additional projects planned for that building in future years include adding two floors of dressing rooms backstage, recarpeting the entire building, upgrading the lobby with a new ceiling and lighting and replacing the glass windows and doors with more energy-efficient models.

Renaming the Opera House also will provide exposure for the quickly growing Inland Northwest Bank. Established in 1989, the bank has 11 branches in Spokane, North Idaho and Walla Walla. Total assets have grown from less than $4 million to more than $250 million, according to the bank's Web site. Bank President and CEO Randall Fewel said the bank is striving to double its assets every five to six years.

Fewel said sponsoring the Performing Arts Center is a "once in a lifetime opportunity" because it fits in so perfectly with the bank's core value – "community."

"It'll take us to a new level of awareness in the community," Fewel said. "But the real opportunity is – it gives us an opportunity to give back to the people who have chosen to bank with us."

Old Posted Jun 2, 2006, 12:49 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Well it is comercialism at it's rawest form but sounds like dollars will be brought in.... but I am sure since it has been that way since 74 the words "Oprah House" will still be the norm to the locals..

I do like the renovation efforts to the building.. it is a great oprah house but can be updated... sounds like outside will be getting a nice change as well should tie it in with the park nicely...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West