HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 5:50 PM

That looks incredible!!! the only thing is that herald square looks too tall. Because of perspective it would probably be very similar in height to the Bow.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 5:59 PM
ARTchitecture

Reposted to this page, since apparently other people can insessantly bump threads/do 6-8 posts in a row, but I can't.

I just had an eyegasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
CtrlAltDel just dropped this beauty on twitter:

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 8:42 PM

Blows my mind how Calgary's skyline continues to change and evolve.

I am looking forward to seeing Telus tower going up....I can't believe how beautiful that building is.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 8:44 PM

Nice!! H. Square is probably a little thinner than what it will be. That shows it probably at 875-900'. Wouldn't that be nice!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 8:46 PM
BANNED

All of this new blue glass that'll be going up in Calgary will look nice with the red Calgary Tower.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 9:15 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Nice!! H. Square is probably a little thinner than what it will be. That shows it probably at 875-900'. Wouldn't that be nice!
I don't think it's represented as that tall. Maybe 830 feet or so. But from that view, it will still be obviously taller than Suncor. It'll be 32 meters taller than suncor... so it looks like it may be spot on. However, if it's off, it's only off by about 10 - 20 feet. It'll be 810 feet, on slightly higher ground than Suncor. Remember, it's directly across the street from Suncor's West (main) tower.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 1:06 AM

This is what the view would actually look like, using very approximate boxes (but at the proper height in the proper locations) for the two buildings:

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 1:11 AM
ARTchitecture

Really? From that view, Brookfield Place looks closer to the photographer than Suncor does. If that's correct though, dang. :/

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 5:27 AM

That does it 225 6th must have the height raised to 900'!!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 1:08 PM

Looking great! I can't wait to see Telus and Brookfield go up! They are really going to improve Calgary's skyline drastically. Exciting times ahead.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 4:40 PM

Ottawa's Centertown community design plan;

Not spectacular like Calgary, Vancouver or Toronto but still decent.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 7:08 AM

Love that Grid of Ottawa! Wish more cities would be designed like that!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 11:55 AM

One thing that sort of bothers me with Ottawa and completely unrelated to future skylines...why didnt Ottawa build a grand avenue lined up to Parliament/Peace Tower?

Something like how University Avenue leads up to Queens Park in Toronto only on a grander scale for that of a national capital. Now I realize University Ave. in Toronto is sort of blah but that has more do with how it got lined with institutional buildings than anything else. The potential was there.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
One thing that sort of bothers me with Ottawa and completely unrelated to future skylines...why didnt Ottawa build a grand avenue lined up to Parliament/Peace Tower?

Something like how University Avenue leads up to Queens Park in Toronto only on a grander scale for that of a national capital. Now I realize University Ave. in Toronto is sort of blah but that has more do with how it got lined with institutional buildings than anything else. The potential was there.
I remember Jean Chretien proposing it, but the chorus of Ottawa naysayers shot him down (Town vs Crown strikes again in the nation's capital).

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 4:49 PM

Really? Jean Chretien? Thats pretty recent... where would it have been? Is there any room?

I always thought Wellington was that grand avenue, but now that you mention it, I agree its a lost opportunity.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 5:06 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I like that clump by the highway. That could provide a nice link to the bit going up at Dow's Lake.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 5:07 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post

It is lined with the most and some of the most interesting Institutional Buildings in country. We've just gotten desensitized to it.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I remember Jean Chretien proposing it, but the chorus of Ottawa naysayers shot him down (Town vs Crown strikes again in the nation's capital).
Mmm... and what was suggested? Bulldozing all the buildings which line Metcalfe? brilliant

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
This is what the view would actually look like, using very approximate boxes (but at the proper height in the proper locations) for the two buildings:

I disagree...being 100 feet taller than Suncor, the difference will be more substantial than that.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 9:21 PM

They should have built the grand Avenue in 1905-1912 along with the Victoria Museum (aka Museum of Nature). Today the historic buildings along Metcalfe are much more valuable than a potential grand boulevard (not to mention they would also have to tear down a few million square feet of office space in the CBD).

As for the grid, they did a good job with it until the post war era when they moved to a spaghetti street system.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada