HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 3:55 PM

More HQ2 stem-winding in the ABJ, this time from the CEO of a site selection firm based in NJ. Most interesting takeaway -- he thinks Dallas is the best bet in Texas. And Austin's nowhere on his list.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...te-search.html

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
More HQ2 stem-winding in the ABJ, this time from the CEO of a site selection firm based in NJ. Most interesting takeaway -- he thinks Dallas is the best bet in Texas. And Austin's nowhere on his list.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...te-search.html
Wherever things end up, I will miss the sport of all of this. Most interesting real estate development that I can ever recall.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
Wherever things end up, I will miss the sport of all of this. Most interesting real estate development that I can ever recall.
This thread got almost 3000 looks per week since it started 9/7/17. After this dies down and goes away, I can't think of any other development forthcoming that would generate this kind of interest and buzz, unless of course Austin wins and then the conversation goes on about location and design and the never ending transportation issues. And if Austin doesn't get it, there will be no doubt of the continued debate as to why we didn't.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 8:47 PM

The guy in the ABJ article makes the point in passing that the HQ2 search might've permanently changed how companies look for new major sites. He says "We view the Amazon HQ2 search as a generational one, eclipsing all other high profile corporate headquarters relocations over the past five decades and establishing a whole new set of relocation standards and practices."

His new standards and practices revolve around politicization of the search, outsize incentives, and a very public process, as well as generalized "housing" concerns, which you could say stand in for overall COL.

Apart from the process, I think the HQ2 search criteria have already set benchmarks for what a corporate destination city has to look like in this century. A certain size is important, "stable and business friendly" politics, and ability to attract a talented workforce; also good local universities, an international airport, and strong public transportation. None of those criteria are particularly surprising, but that Amazon has so publicly insisted on them as a bundle is. They've essentially articulated a corporate urbanism that we've all known exists but haven't seen in a single document before. I wouldn't be surprised to see mayoral and council candidates run use these bullet points to run on, one way or another . . . Or to see cities start to turn towards these criteria more strongly, and start to invest in them even more explicitly as business development activities, not just pieces for the public good.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 1:26 AM
World Traveler

As much as I want it in Austin...if it is in Texas, I still think it will be DFW.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 7:00 PM

Second HQs are all the rage, apparently.

Apple will open 2nd campus, hire 20k people between old locations and the new one, wherever it is.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/17/appl...n-the-u-s.html

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Second HQs are all the rage, apparently.

Apple will open 2nd campus, hire 20k people between old locations and the new one, wherever it is.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/17/appl...n-the-u-s.html
Austin has a much better shot at this one than Amazon. Austin is already Apple's 2nd largest campus. The new campus will also focus on tech support initially according to the article, and I believe that is a large part of what Apple does here.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Austin has a much better shot at this one than Amazon. Austin is already Apple's 2nd largest campus. The new campus will also focus on tech support initially according to the article, and I believe that is a large part of what Apple does here.
Also Apple seems to have a thing for suburban campuses

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I think we're out of the running for this one.

By my reading, this differs from Amazon. It's not a "2nd Headquarters", it's just another campus. Like the bunch they already have (including in Austin).

"Apple expects to invest over $30 billion in capital expenditures in the US over the next five years and create over 20,000 new jobs through hiring at existing campuses and opening a new one. Apple already employs 84,000 people in all 50 states."

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/...-job-creation/

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 7:52 PM

Are they maxed out up Parmer? Surely they have room to grow up there still . . .

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I think we're out of the running for this one.

By my reading, this differs from Amazon. It's not a "2nd Headquarters", it's just another campus. Like the bunch they already have (including in Austin).

"Apple expects to invest over $30 billion in capital expenditures in the US over the next five years and create over 20,000 new jobs through hiring at existing campuses and opening a new one. Apple already employs 84,000 people in all 50 states."

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/...-job-creation/
They said that it will be Apple's 3rd campus in addition to Cupertino and Austin. So, yea. It's going somewhere else.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 8:10 PM

We can apparently stop discussing Austin's chances of getting the new campus. After talking to an Apple Rep a reporter on CNBC just clarified that the new campus "will be a new third campus in addition to Cupertino and Austin".

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Are they maxed out up Parmer? Surely they have room to grow up there still . . .
I believe they also said that they would add 20k employees company wide at multiple locations. Presumably, this means that they will also be adding additional people in Austin. There's not yet any word on the size of the third campus.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:11 PM

Quote:
There's still open land ready for development on a large scale, but traffic is getting worse even though the lights seem to be well synchronized...and don't call me Shirley.
https://youtu.be/KM2K7sV-K74

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
There's still open land ready for development on a large scale, but traffic is getting worse even though the lights seem to be well synchronized...and don't call me Shirley.
https://youtu.be/KM2K7sV-K74

What's going on with the Oracle lot? Are they moving out of it completely to Lakeshore?

It would be nice if they could re-route the red line to pass near the apple campus but it would require a lot of land and money. The line currently passes along the north side of that huge undeveloped part of town. The county said they would be willing to do that kind of work for a private company if they were willing to pay for it though. You just couldn't get it to the actual apple campus.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:17 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
...and don't call me Shirley.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 2:15 PM

Amazon just released its list of the remaining 20 cities that it will focus on for HQ2 - Austin is on the list.

Per CNBC, "Amazon said Thursday it narrowed the list of potential cities for its second headquarters to 20 cities".

The cities are:

Atlanta, GA
Austin, TX
Boston, MA
Chicago, IL
Columbus, OH
Dallas, TX
Denver, CO
Indianapolis, IN
Los Angeles, CA
Miami, FL
Montgomery County, MD
Nashville, TN
Newark, NJ
New York City, NY
Northern Virginia, VA
Philadelphia, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Raleigh, NC
Toronto, ON
Washington D.C.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 2:19 PM

Three different candidates from the DC a region. Hmmm.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Three different candidates from the DC a region. Hmmm.
very interesting. really puts the head on these three areas to shell out a competitive deal to Amazon.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
very interesting. really puts the head on these three areas to shell out a competitive deal to Amazon.
Hard to use proximity to gauge relevance of east coast candidates. It's a 4 hr drive from northern VA to Manhattan.... so you could theoretically lump Philly, Newark, NYC with those as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin