HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
That really sucks. Parkades at the street should be completely forbidden anywhere. Neighbourhood killer.
True, but...Underground parking is a project killer. And there wasn't a neighbourhood here anyway.

I'd rather have townhomes obviously, but I think everyone here knows I'd rather have a project with a parkade than no parkade. It's not like someone else will come along and magically get it done without a parkade.

If we forbid parkades, we have to remember one thing... make it too difficult for people to make money developing, and they'll just develop elsewhere. Densification, including parkades, atleast helps nudge rental revenues up in a neighbourhood, making future projects more viable.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 12:52 AM
surely you agree with me

Yeah. I'm tired of that attitude of desperation in Winnipeg. It's time to demand big picture thinking or we will never evolve. There's no neighbourhood and there never will be with a block long parkade. Sometimes bad development is worse than no development.

I don't believe townhouses are an economic deal breaker. I believe they were allowed to delete them so they did. Make it a requirement across the city and developers will find a way to make it work.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Yeah. I'm tired of that attitude of desperation in Winnipeg. It's time to demand big picture thinking or we will never evolve. There's no neighbourhood and there never will be with a block long parkade. Sometimes bad development is worse than no development.

I don't believe townhouses are an economic deal breaker. I believe they were allowed to delete them so they did. Make it a requirement across the city and developers will find a way to make it work.
Agreed. This will make Harkness Station feel even more like getting off in the middle of nowhere, since there will be no signs of life at street level.

It also means that stretch of Stradbrook will remain as basically only an artery for cars -- it won't feel like a pedestrian connection between the Harkness Station area and Osborne Village.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 5:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Agreed. This will make Harkness Station feel even more like getting off in the middle of nowhere, since there will be no signs of life at street level.

It also means that stretch of Stradbrook will remain as basically only an artery for cars -- it won't feel like a pedestrian connection between the Harkness Station area and Osborne Village.
Exactly. They can still include the parkade, just make sure there's residential in front or commercial on the main level. Not hard to make it work, they simply just (from the sounds of it) aren't being forced to.

Bork is right. And it'd actually be a really good place for some retail, it would make a little hub for the Harkness/East Village neighbourhood. There's a decent amount of retail and commercial/office around that stretch of Donald/Stradbrook, so it wouldn't be out of place. Eventually the old Manitoba Housing complex will be redeveloped and the area could support some retail as it's a) AT AN RT STATION; b) a decent hike to Osborne, Dominion Centre, Portage/Graham.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:29 AM

Not sure if a) Basil heard us complaining or b) the buildings are falling apart but this and this building are both currently being ripped apart on the outside.

I know Upstairs is planning on taking over the space next door and bringing the front wall in to expand the patio, but that doesn't explain work on the other building.

--

Also, all of the banners/branding in South Osborne have been removed from the entire street. Hopefully they also heard us and are all being updated and replace, and the poles not just left empty and beat up. Is there a South Osborne BIZ or does the city just take care of that part? Hope to god if they're being replaced, they don't use the designer that designed the hideous new ones on Corydon.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 3:35 PM

Weekend Freep did a story on something that has been a recurring theme around here in past months: the decline of Osborne Village

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...450938513.html

Nothing really new, just a bit of a rehash of stuff discussed in this thread. But it's all a bit sad... I guess that's what happens when so much of a small neighbourhood is concentrated in the hands of one or two owners. Osborne Village is starting to take on a bit of the forlorn feeling of downtown circa 1994.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 3:45 PM

Quote:

It's not an attitude of desperation, it IS desperation. We have tons of lots in good locations, and the problem is an imbalanced relationship between cost and projected revenues.

We can't sit back and demand that other people spend their money our way. They'll go elsewhere. There's a reason I harp on this point every time. We're all in favour of a better design all the time... who isn't?

There are always two big pictures. First the neighbourhood and the integration of the new structure into it, and the residents/businesses integrating into the new structure.

The second big picture, and it must be respectfully acknowledged, is that this is someone else's land, building, money, dream, and most importantly, risk. Those are all infinitely more critical and potentially damaging factors that no armchair quarterbacks online can be hurt by. I want functional neighnourhoods, but the libertarian in me would be immensely offended if my ambitions on land that I own were constantly adjusted by others, greatly affecting my future livelihood.

Townhouses don't seem like an economic deal breaker, but they were dropped. Ergo, they were an economical burden or risk to some extent... that's how the market works. There could be other factors that [revented this, and hey, the developer also might not be the brightest, but that happens.

In regards to building a better neighbourhood... let me be cynical here... what neighbourhood? Winter club to the north, shitty housiong further north, and Donald to the west? It's a great location because it's walkable to key features, whether transitm the forks, or osborne, but there is no continuity of "neighbourhood" there.

I'm a firm believer that a B or B+ project still raises our GPA significantly, and if the project succeeds, helps raise the local base economic capacity of projects like these, leading to better ones in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
????

It currently is more in the middle of nowhere than anything possible. I get the ideal we're after here, but it's incorrect to state the above. Harkness was already segmented off, and now we're adding residents. Not a bad thing.

Last edited by Wolf13; Oct 16, 2017 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I'm a firm believer that a B or B+ project still raises our GPA significantly, and if the project succeeds, helps raise the local base economic capacity of projects like these, leading to better ones in the future.
Agreed. I know recluse in particular likes to hold up Edmonton as an example of where Winnipeg should be, but as someone who lived in Edmonton in the early/mid 2000s, I can tell you they got a lot of absolute dogs before the nice builds started going up. But no one really notices those dogs anymore because they're overshadowed by bigger, nicer towers... you have to start somewhere.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Weekend Freep did a story on something that has been a recurring theme around here in past months: the decline of Osborne Village

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...450938513.html

Nothing really new, just a bit of a rehash of stuff discussed in this thread. But it's all a bit sad... I guess that's what happens when so much of a small neighbourhood is concentrated in the hands of one or two owners. Osborne Village is starting to take on a bit of the forlorn feeling of downtown circa 1994.
I hate how they focus so much on squatters, as if they are the reason for Osborne's decline.

Does anyone know of any actions the city could take about the landlord monopoly? The article really downplayed this as a factor. It really is unfair that one man is ruining a great neighbourhood. I'm thinking assassination?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 4:26 PM

^ The vexing thing about this is that wouldn't this guy's actions be tantamount to shooting himself in the foot? I mean, if the neighbourhood goes into the gutter as vacancies proliferate, the odds of a tier-one retailer signing a lucrative long-term lease evaporate by the day. I mean, it's not like Apple is going to look at the mess that Osborne has become and say, "Yes, please! Sign us up for 25 years!" Wouldn't it make more sense to sign some short term leases and build the neighbourhood up?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 11:49 PM

^You'd think, but he's not know for being rational or business savvy.

And yeah the "squatters" thing is a little overblown. There's always been this type of thing in Osborne, and that's kind of what gave it its edge. The fact there's some now "living" in TD is really the fault of TD.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 12:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Agreed. I know recluse in particular likes to hold up Edmonton as an example of where Winnipeg should be, but as someone who lived in Edmonton in the early/mid 2000s, I can tell you they got a lot of absolute dogs before the nice builds started going up. But no one really notices those dogs anymore because they're overshadowed by bigger, nicer towers... you have to start somewhere.
I agree. Edmonton has plenty of shitty buildings, and still has blight downtown.
I could live with cheaper finishing, but color and shape play a huge role in making a building look better. Winnipeg developers are boring as f*ck. To be honest, I have given up for the most part on Winnipeg. I am at the point where I really do not care anymore. There is always an excuse for everything, which is why the city is in the current state it's in. The fact that the village is declining despite its density says it all about the city.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 12:55 AM

I had high hopes that the CMHR would inspire more architecturally stimulating building.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 4:52 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
I had high hopes that the CMHR would inspire more architecturally stimulating building.
My goodness.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Not everyone has $350 million to build an apartment building with.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Not everyone has $350 million to build an apartment building with.
Well designed buildings don’t always equate to having to spend millions more, look what was done with the avenue building, Winnipeg needs more smart design.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 7:49 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Well designed buildings don’t always equate to having to spend millions more, look what was done with the avenue building, Winnipeg needs more smart design.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 8:25 PM

This??

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 9:39 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
This??
Yup. "Smart design" so long as "smart" doesn't include bedrooms. Just bachelor, sorry, "studio" suites, or "loft style", where you get a partition between your bed and the rest of the living room.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 10:00 PM

All the new builds on Wardlaw are awesome examples of how you can make cheaper materials like hardibord look good. All about texture and variation. They look fantastic.

Also of horrific note, Basil is painting the red brick building that Wasabi is in black. Sigh.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan