HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I was in there a few weeks ago; the store was reasonably busy, but all but one of the elevators were out of order. I needed to go up to the 7th floor (Menswear), so it was a long wait. I took the stairs to come back down; it looks like the stairwells haven't been updated since the 1930s. Interesting retro look at least.

It's also very difficult to find the way out of the store if you're not a regular customer. It looks like some entrances/exits have been blocked off since Covid and have never been restored. I walked in circles and needed to ask two different people for directions to an actual exit that wasn't blocked off. (They also did this at Guildford, though that's a much more straightforward store so it's not as hard to find an exit there)
**Update**

I visited the downtown HBC store this past Friday. There is another elevator operating for a total of 2. The other 2 are still out of service however I was told that a 3rd one is currently being repaired and should be online soon.
All of the escalators are running again, except for the down escalator between floors 4 and 5. I suspect that one will be up soon, given that the rest of them are working again.

When I got up to the men's floor, it was considerably busier as you'd expect. It's no longer a chore to get up there anymore. Overhead music is still not on yet.

The thing I've noticed the most is the amount of sale merchandise on the floor, coupled with the fact that many of the brands I went there to buy are no longer there. This could be due to not paying vendors or just simply downsizing temporarily, or both. Either way, I hope they get their assortment back to something pre-covid soon.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:44 AM

Thrifty Foods gets opening date for new White Rock location
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/thri...ods-white-rock

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverraver View Post
**Update**

I visited the downtown HBC store this past Friday. There is another elevator operating for a total of 2. The other 2 are still out of service however I was told that a 3rd one is currently being repaired and should be online soon.
All of the escalators are running again, except for the down escalator between floors 4 and 5. I suspect that one will be up soon, given that the rest of them are working again.

When I got up to the men's floor, it was considerably busier as you'd expect. It's no longer a chore to get up there anymore. Overhead music is still not on yet.

The thing I've noticed the most is the amount of sale merchandise on the floor, coupled with the fact that many of the brands I went there to buy are no longer there. This could be due to not paying vendors or just simply downsizing temporarily, or both. Either way, I hope they get their assortment back to something pre-covid soon.
I hope HBC rights itself, especially now that we’re entering high tourist season. Hudson’s Bay is an iconic brand, but what they’ve become is no longer anything special.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
I hope HBC rights itself, especially now that we’re entering high tourist season. Hudson’s Bay is an iconic brand, but what they’ve become is no longer anything special.
It seems like it's in a slow death spiral. More job losses recently announced, and the Regina store (reported as the only store in Saskatchewan, although Saskatoon's store may have reopened following a fire), will be closing next year.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
I was in Calgary on the weekend.. the Saks store in Chinook Centre is open daily 12-6. Initially I thought it had shut down until I saw the very small sign posted on the door.

Sad.

Ron.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
I was in Calgary on the weekend.. the Saks store in Chinook Centre is open daily 12-6. Initially I thought it had shut down until I saw the very small sign posted on the door.

Sad.

Ron.
That store was always sad, wasn't it? The mens' section was particularly .

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy