HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 4:52 AM

LOS ANGELES | Olympia Towers | 43, 53 & 65 FLOORS

http://urbanize.la/post/whoa-renderi...olympia-towers

Towers will be 43, 53 and 65 floors, respectively.
Speculation tallest tower will be 800 feet near LA Live.

Last edited by LA21st; Dec 23, 2016 at 5:20 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 5:21 AM

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 9:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just so people don't have to leave ssp to see a rendering. From the link:

Reminds me of Urban Ready Living in Jersey City.

5771 × 2886 rendering of Olympia Towers: https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/cho...mpiaTowers.jpg (Click Me)

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 3:24 PM

I wonder, is downtown L.A. the only place where buildings of this height are approved to be built? Downtown L.A. still is not a desirable area, it is dead at night, still has lots of empty, decrepit lots, etc..

Wouldn't a nicer area, say closer to the coasts, be a better bet?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 3:27 PM
Ascension

Well it can't be too undesirable if all these cranes dot the skyline and all these buildings are being proposed. Also: Buildings of this size would NEVER be built in coastal California.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Well it can't be too undesirable if all these cranes dot the skyline and all these buildings are being proposed. Also: Buildings of this size would NEVER be built in coastal California.
Must be, but I can't imagine how anyone in his right mind would want to live in Downtown L.A. right now. The market is fueled by foreign money, it may be that they just buy based on a floorplan drawing without even setting foot in L.A., as is often the case.

Anyway, I hope L.A. will become more desirable (and hopefully not a giant grey parking lot), but I think it will take many, many years.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 3:56 PM
Ascension

Hell I wanted to live in downtown 10 years ago back when LA Live was a hole in the ground.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 4:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick852 View Post
I wonder, is downtown L.A. the only place where buildings of this height are approved to be built? Downtown L.A. still is not a desirable area, it is dead at night, still has lots of empty, decrepit lots, etc..

Wouldn't a nicer area, say closer to the coasts, be a better bet?
Pretty much. The coast is owned by NIMBYs and misguided environmentalists.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 4:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
You'd think with the popularity of the beaches, that it would be a Miami Style Coast stretching for miles. High rise Galore. Granted there's the debate on aesthetics, and yeah, it would change the area, but I'm sure the demand is there for condo towers and hotels.

Maybe an architectural design committee could work. At least if they build tall on the coast, make it look nice.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 4:56 PM
Ascension

Regardless of skyscrapers on the coast, they have nothing to do with the Olympia Towers. Which are another piece in bridging LA Live with the Financial District.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 5:38 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Must be, but I can't imagine how anyone in his right mind would want to live in Downtown L.A. right now. The market is fueled by foreign money, it may be that they just buy based on a floorplan drawing without even setting foot in L.A., as is often the case.

Anyway, I hope L.A. will become more desirable (and hopefully not a giant grey parking lot), but I think it will take many, many years.
No need to troll the LA threads. Obviously you haven't been lately if ever. Sounds like you are talking 80s dtLA.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 5:40 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Yep, the Coastal Commission would never allow a new highrise on the coast. I like the mission of the CC, but they are misguided in too many ways.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 5:40 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Regardless of skyscrapers on the coast, they have nothing to do with the Olympia Towers. Which are another piece in bridging LA Live with the Financial District.
I agree, this project looks fantastic, DTLA is spreading out...

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 6:30 PM

Quote:

This has nothing to do with the project on Olympia. It seems that you're trolling on multiple L.A. threads. Unfortunately, you have not visited LA within the past few years. The city changed a lot.

"I hope LA will become more desirable"
Los Angeles (especially Downtown) is one of the hottest market in the United States right now. It is the "most invested city" in the nation in 2016. It's the second biggest construction zone, after Seattle. Yes, LA is more desirable than you thought. This project, Olympia, along with others (Metropolis, Oceanwide Plaza, Luxe Redevelopment, Circa, Wilshire Grand, NFL Stadium, Lucas Museum, Sixth Street Redevelopment, Los Angeles River Revitalization, Metro Subway Expansion, Century Plaza Hotel Redevelopment, LAX Redevelopment, and the thousands of projects happening around the city) are all clear evidence that LA is drawing BILLIONS of dollars of development.

"but I think it will take many, many years"
Los Angeles is already the densest metro in the United States. Fact. It's becoming harder for NY Metro to catch up because there's so much development in every corner of LA Basin.

Going back on the topic of this thread, Olympia
Are those vertical lines on the podium an LED sign or is there none?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 2:07 AM

Quote:

What are you talking about?

A giant grey parking lot? What? Are there even that many GIANT PARKING LOTS left right now? Most have proposals or being torn down/have been torn down.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbeen View Post
This has nothing to do with the project on Olympia. It seems that you're trolling on multiple L.A. threads. Unfortunately, you have not visited LA within the past few years. The city changed a lot.

"I hope LA will become more desirable"
Los Angeles (especially Downtown) is one of the hottest market in the United States right now. It is the "most invested city" in the nation in 2016. It's the second biggest construction zone, after Seattle. Yes, LA is more desirable than you thought. This project, Olympia, along with others (Metropolis, Oceanwide Plaza, Luxe Redevelopment, Circa, Wilshire Grand, NFL Stadium, Lucas Museum, Sixth Street Redevelopment, Los Angeles River Revitalization, Metro Subway Expansion, Century Plaza Hotel Redevelopment, LAX Redevelopment, and the thousands of projects happening around the city) are all clear evidence that LA is drawing BILLIONS of dollars of development.

"but I think it will take many, many years"
Los Angeles is already the densest metro in the United States. Fact. It's becoming harder for NY Metro to catch up because there's so much development in every corner of LA Basin.

Going back on the topic of this thread, Olympia
Are those vertical lines on the podium an LED sign or is there none?
seems to be that they are LED signs, especially on the rendering with the podium facing the freeway you see digital images being displayed in the vertical elements.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Im as pro development as it comes and i would be out with a pitchfork if anyone wanted to build a skyscraper outside of Long Beach of Santa Monica. Its not necessary and doesnt fit the fabric of California beach cities.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 10:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Im as pro development as it comes and i would be out with a pitchfork if anyone wanted to build a skyscraper outside of Long Beach of Santa Monica. Its not necessary and doesnt fit the fabric of California beach cities.
Then you're really not that pro-development.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 12:48 AM

Well there's not really a possibility of a skyscraper being built in any of the beach cities in LA County except Long Beach and Santa Monica.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 12:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
Well there's not really a possibility of a skyscraper being built in any of the beach cities in LA County except Long Beach and Santa Monica.
There's a lot of demand for it in Orange County though, and probably Venice as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals