HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 1:51 PM

Looking east along King from John in 1958.
Gerald Little, photographer
Vintage Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:25 PM

I do love all the neon. And the murderous wash that makes it look like we're stepping into a lurid detective novel.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post

Looking east along King from John in 1958.
Gerald Little, photographer
Vintage Hamilton
Here's the thread for old photos. Some great stuff here http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=151765

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 6:36 PM

Every building tells a story, even the bad ones
(Hamilton Spectator, Paul Wilson, Aug 23 2016)

I walked past 193 King West the other day. It's on the dreary south side of the block between Bay and Caroline.

Most of that stretch is parking lot now, but somehow No. 193 still stands. It's a sad-sack structure and for some years has been the headquarters of Metro Financial Planning.

If that company sounds familiar, it's because of president Dinesh (Dennis) Khanna. He's been in the news recently after being charged with sexual assault and extortion.

His Metro sign is down now, and the door is locked. But for one more week, tenant Sylvia — no last name, please — lives upstairs. She got tired of having to hound Khanna for maintenance.

"You're about the fifth person to come knocking," Sylvia says.

People want to buy this place. Probably knock it down.

I stop by the library and check some city directories. Go back 125 years, and you see that George J. Walker, herbalist, did business at No. 193. At that time — we're talking 1891, before the car had us knocking down buildings for parking lots — that block was home to the following professions: druggist, doctor, cabinet maker, bookkeeper, engineer, plumber, cooper, gilder, pork curer.

One hundred years ago, Robert Corner, shoemaker, had a shop at No. 193 and lived on the premises. Seventy-five years ago, John Smith, upholsterer, was there with wife Rose. Fifty years ago, Hamilton Rent-A-Car. And sometime since then, Mr. Khanna moved in. His days there may now be numbered.

All this library research is getting me hungry. Time for one of those hefty $5 turkey sandwiches at Ola Bakery on James North. And I know the walk there will take me right past another of this city's finest eyesores.

So here we are, gazing at the derelict facade of 135 James North. In the early 1890s, tobacco baron George Tuckett put up a fine brick building here. But it was destroyed in a fire.

And in 1961 we got what stands today, an odd glass and metal box that's been looking for love a long time.

Maybe it shone when it was the M-K Furniture Company. The letters are still there, set in the walk at the front door. That was Kay Kynl, who lived with husband Michael in a fine home at Bay and Herkimer.

By the 1980s, the BiWay discount chain had moved into No. 135. It was still there in the '90s, but the doors to that building have been closed for years.

As I drink in the sight, a guy stops and says, "If I had a million dollars, I'd buy this building. It's got potential."

He is Sean Gratton, and his business card says Actor, Musician, Philosopher, Agent.

He declares there is beauty here.

"It's something about how much glass there is," he says. "The bars on the windows have to go. They say, 'Stay out.' But all that glass says there's nothing to hide."

There's a For Lease sign on the building and I call agent Manvir Deol. He's with Century 21's Mississauga office.

"But I am aware of what's going on down there."

Some renovations are contemplated, Deol says. He figures that if and when that work is done, this 7,000 square-foot building could command a rent of about $10,000 a month.

"But nothing's set in stone."

With all the good things happening on James North, this building is a conspicuous blight. Maybe the street would be better off if someone more motivated bought the place.

That won't be happening, agent Deol advises. He says his client is a "very wealthy" man named Steven Chang and that he's turned down offers of $3.5 million and more for the property.

"He's not interested in selling in our lifetime."

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 7:44 PM

"He says his client is a "very wealthy" man named Steven Chang and that he's turned down offers of $3.5 million and more for the property."

$3.5 million? Wow. Didn't think it was that big.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 1:51 AM

Probably using the building as a tax shelter or maybe just thinks it's a truly amazing building. While looking for a house in Hamilton I ran into the owners of a few places who thought their homes were beautiful but they were actually dumps that smelled like piss. People get weird about the stuff they own sometimes

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 10:31 AM

Pretty sure this building is getting a dark grey colour treatment on the exterior. They're doing stucco on this wall with the recently punched in windows and paint on the side facing Tim Hortons. Still no clue what they're planning for the front. Neat little Reno. Happy to see this building repurposed instead of becoming a parking lot. I've been told it's an insurance company who will be occupying the whole building. Prior to that it was leased to various lawyers.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 3:53 AM

Kind of nice to see, as an exception to the now standard article about Hamilton the new Brooklyn, a cute reference in the New Yorker's piece on the Hip:

"The final tour sold out instantly. For the band’s final show, which takes place tonight in their home town of Kingston, Ontario, Stubhub has been selling tickets for as much as twenty-five thousand dollars. Cities have organized Tragically Hip Days, and spontaneous street parties have coincided with the band’s tour dates. In the fading steel town of Hamilton, on the day of their last concert there, the local rock radio station Y108 played nothing but the Tragically Hip. Tonight the national broadcaster CBC will air their final concert from Kingston live—a rock concert by way of a state funeral. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will be in attendance."

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cul...amatic-goodbye

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 7:34 PM

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 5:00 AM
Ham-burgher

The other day The Spec had a 1930s era photo that also shows the full original building that "The Alley" is part of, taken from the Pigott Building, in its "From the Archives" series:

Source

(Complaint of the night: I really wish The Spec would share larger images with its online news... their photographers will publish their own work on the net at a larger scale, but pics that accompany news stories are usually pitifully small)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatboots View Post
It looks like the building used to go across 3 store fronts in the same style, and then at some point in the seventies the ugly fencing wall went up on the other other two for signs

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 5:09 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Pretty sure this building is getting a dark grey colour treatment on the exterior. They're doing stucco on this wall with the recently punched in windows and paint on the side facing Tim Hortons. Still no clue what they're planning for the front. Neat little Reno. Happy to see this building repurposed instead of becoming a parking lot. I've been told it's an insurance company who will be occupying the whole building. Prior to that it was leased to various lawyers.

I actually think it looks kind of funky with the paint only partially done. Some kind of abstract pattern might be interesting, rather than a plain grey.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 7:17 PM

195 King Street East (former Sandbar Tavern)

(Should be 193 King Street East)

Anyone have any info on the state of this project? Rebuild Hamilton wrote that the lofts were slated to be complete by April.

Link here: http://bit.ly/2bSV2Tl

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
(Should be 193 King Street East)

Anyone have any info on the state of this project? Rebuild Hamilton wrote that the lofts were slated to be complete by April.

Link here: http://bit.ly/2bSV2Tl
This video says summer 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP9p_3t0gKA

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 7:45 PM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 2:10 AM

Will those be condos or rentals?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 2:11 AM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
I would be very curious as to the terms of their lease.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 10:28 PM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 11:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

Nice! Under all that crap the brick is red. I like those little details below the window, don't often see that.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 4:31 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Nice! Under all that crap the brick is red. I like those little details below the window, don't often see that.
What is this "brick" that you speak of?

The covered facade to the east -- the remaining 2/3 of the original building -- will soon stand out EVEN MORE in terms of its shocking ugliness. A plague on this entire block, given that the rest of it will be pretty attractive by comparison (even given the plain and boring stucco jobs nearest James)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton