HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 8:52 PM

2046 Union Avenue Development

What do you all make of these renderings from the brg3s website? I believe it was recently reported that a Renasant branch would occupy ~5000 sqft in this 7500 sqft building, but could these images mean a second Apple store in the Memphis area?

[/size]

http://brg3s.com/project/2046-union-avenue/

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaymemphis View Post
What do you all make of these renderings from the brg3s website? I believe it was recently reported that a Renasant branch would occupy ~5000 sqft in this 7500 sqft building, but could these images mean a second Apple store in the Memphis area?

[/size]

http://brg3s.com/project/2046-union-avenue/

Interesting find. I know Metropolitan became Renasant or whatever recently right before they announced them as a tenant. That and Chipotle are already confirmed. So it could be. Unless they just randomly put an Apple logo on each side of the sites rendering-- which would just be odd.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
Interesting find. I know Metropolitan became Renasant or whatever recently right before they announced them as a tenant. That and Chipotle are already confirmed. So it could be. Unless they just randomly put an Apple logo on each side of the sites rendering-- which would just be odd.
I think that was more wishful thinking on their part. AFAIK, Chipotle and Renasant are the only confirmed tenants for that space. Squeezing in an Apple Store was most likely their intent, but for one reason or another, they couldn't get it done.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 5:19 PM

More renderings for the mixed used project at the old Wonder Bread Factory.... I believe the Edge District will have another big development announced before the year out

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 5:35 AM

Long-stalled development projects moving forward across the Memphis area
Michael Waddell | High Ground News

Quote:
Projects include restoration of the Universal Life Building downtown, plans for multifamily units in Midtown, a new pedestrian bridge in the Pinch District, a Trader Joe’s in Germantown and the former Justine’s restaurant building in South Memphis.
http://www.highgroundnews.com/featur...tProjects.aspx

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 1:26 AM

^ I hate to sound pessimistic, but I'll believe it when dirt is moving (unfortunately, though, even that isn't a guarantee).

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 10:11 PM

Is the Shelby Farms development a go? I drove by the land this weekend and there are public notice signs staked into the ground.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 5:55 PM

Bakery Development

Key tax incentive has been approved. Next comes approval for the parking garage.

Quote:
If the needed approvals are granted, the developers plan to break ground this fall.
Things are moving quickly!

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...-first-hurdle/

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 5:59 PM

USL Soccer likely coming to Memphis in 2019. Will initially play at AutoZone Park with discussions of building a soccer specific stadium

https://www.soctakes.com/2017/08/07/...n-rumors-2019/

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageNouveau View Post
USL Soccer likely coming to Memphis in 2019. Will initially play at AutoZone Park with discussions of building a soccer specific stadium

I would take things from the rumor mill with a grain of salt as there has been no actual movement to pursue a professional soccer team here.

Also, welcome to the forums.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
I would take things from the rumor mill with a grain of salt as there has been no actual movement to pursue a professional soccer team here.

Also, welcome to the forums.
It seems like the USL approached the Redbird's ownership group about starting a team here. The USL is rapidly growing at the moment and their strategy seems to be to cover all the secondary markets.

If this was the MLS I would say these are wild rumors, but the USL is a level down. With peer cities like Birmingham, Louisville, Richmond, etc.

I don't think this is a non story just yet.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:

Would at least some kind of tenent for a large field, multipurpose facility between Union and Beale.

I'm just saying.........

Which brings my to my thoughts on that proposal for the Riverfront.

There is parts of that plan I really like, some of it too millenia as well.

I still think a revamped Museum with a virtual flight down the rver like Soarin' at Disney would be a hit. I STILL think a new Memphis Zoo operated Aquarium would be swell as well and an improved amp is essential. The land bridge would be great to finally include it in with the music fest.

IFor the 1000th time, also still think the north part in the general area or where the Memphis Belle was should be like Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen with a nice ride collection in a park like setting that compliments the other attractions in the park. It would also help make for a fine Christmas Market setting complete with Ice staking rink and so on. Bringing back the Enchanted Forest in a much grander outdoor version than the old version at Goldsmith's downtown But, Tivoli nails it some top notch rides done tastefully yet not a full blown theme park.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
Would at least some kind of tenent for a large field, multipurpose facility between Union and Beale.

I'm just saying.........

Which brings my to my thoughts on that proposal for the Riverfront.

There is parts of that plan I really like, some of it too millenia as well.

I still think a revamped Museum with a virtual flight down the rver like Soarin' at Disney would be a hit. I STILL think a new Memphis Zoo operated Aquarium would be swell as well and an improved amp is essential. The land bridge would be great to finally include it in with the music fest.

IFor the 1000th time, also still think the north part in the general area or where the Memphis Belle was should be like Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen with a nice ride collection in a park like setting that compliments the other attractions in the park. It would also help make for a fine Christmas Market setting complete with Ice staking rink and so on. Bringing back the Enchanted Forest in a much grander outdoor version than the old version at Goldsmith's downtown But, Tivoli nails it some top notch rides done tastefully yet not a full blown theme park.

I actually really like the 1923 riverfront plan
http://www.smartcitymemphis.com/wp-c.../plan-1923.jpg

It's elegant and sophisticated. The riverfront of Prague is a nice example, though it is mostly cobblestone and lacks trees.

I like the Christmas Market idea. I really would like Memphis in May to use Main Street and Court Square for a long festival to activate this part of downtown. Maybe the Christmas Market can start there. The turn of the century architecture around Court Square already sets the mood for such things.

Last edited by VintageNouveau; Aug 8, 2017 at 9:31 PM. Reason: image size too big?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 1:52 PM

Megasite Prospect
By Bill Dries/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
Tennessee is pursuing the new $1.6 billion assembly plant Toyota and Mazda announced just last week to turn out 300,000 vehicles a year and there is that regional megasite in nearby Haywood County that isn’t being used. Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he wants to add the joint facility to the state’s auto industry. And Haslam’s commissioner of Economic and Community Development, Bob Rolfe, has told business leaders here before this all came up that Haslam has made it clear to him that he wants Rolfe to consider finding a tenant for the megasite his top priority from now until Haslam leaves office at the end of 2018. The megasites, one for each of the state’s grand divisions, were something Haslam inherited from his predecessor, Gov. Phil Bredesen. Memphis tried for the General Motors factory that went to Spring Hill in middle Tennessee in 1990 as a Saturn plant. The move seemed to cement Middle Tennessee as part of an auto corridor that takes in parts of Alabama. Meanwhile, city council chairman Berlin Boyd has said he wants the state to consider making the old Firestone plant site in North Memphis a megasite.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...ndler-numbers/

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Megasite Prospect
By Bill Dries/ Memphis Daily News

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...ndler-numbers/
I'm sure Arkansas will be gunning for this one with it's new incentive package that landed that Billion dollar steel plant in Osceola. Either one helps Memphis but Marion would provide for a greater local impact.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 10:17 PM

Fedex Forum Upgrade Rendering

Quote:
The new center-hung scoreboard features include a continuous, 360-degree, borderless, video display that is nearly four times the screen size of the original video board being replaced.

FedExForum’s other new digital project enhancements include:

Complete conversion of arena digital control rooms to high-definition.
Full-screen LED center-hung scoreboard with equal display on all four sides.
New digital scorer’s table and video ribbon boards circling the arena’s interior.
New digital ticker that runs from above the arena box office to inside the plaza.
New Beale Street-facing marquee video board above FedExForum administration building.
New digital menu boards at all concession stands.

Beyond the interior upgrades, a new outdoor digital board on top of our administration building, along with new LED color displays overlooking Beale Street, will bring some new and improved lighting to enhance the exterior of FedExForum and the plaza. We’re excited to be able to help provide all that.

Four auxiliary displays will be installed in the corners of FedExForum to bring additional visibility to video, replays and other information that fans crave. Each display will measure nearly 20 feet high by 37.5 feet wide and feature 15-millimeter line spacing.

Two 360-degree ribbon displays will be installed along the upper and lower seating fascia and measure 2 feet tall. The upper ribbon will measure 971 long and the lower ribbon will measure 585 feet long. Three tunnel displays, an indoor ticketing display, five scorer’s tables and four basket stanchion displays will also be installed inside the arena to help complement the main displays and provide opportunities to highlight sponsors throughout events.

Outside the facility, a new ticketing display will help event goers enter the venue and a new marquee display will welcome fans and promote upcoming events.
Link:http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/gr...xforum-170807/

Last edited by Chris Warren; Aug 10, 2017 at 12:11 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 4:10 PM

Quote:

It's elegant and sophisticated. The riverfront of Prague is a nice example, though it is mostly cobblestone and lacks trees.

I like the Christmas Market idea. I really would like Memphis in May to use Main Street and Court Square for a long festival to activate this part of downtown. Maybe the Christmas Market can start there. The turn of the century architecture around Court Square already sets the mood for such things.
I've mentioned Mud Island for a European Style Christmas Market because is it's easily defended so to speak. A bit of controlled access. I envision booths of various sizes set up along the River Walk and the area's around the Gulf Area with more in the open areas on the southern tip.

They would be brought in for the market and removed and stored elsewhere when not in use. All themed to the season. Some would be booths and some would large enough for walk in traffic.

Decking the Island out in lights and decorations invites folks to just come take it in. See the carousel decked out in the pic. The rides area on he north end would be year round but decked out for christmas. Some of the busiest days of the year for theme parks like Silver Dollar City is the winter season. You have local High School Choirs signing carols in various spots and they could operate concessions like for hot chocolate for fund raising.

Like I've posted before the rides would be overall be in the same uniform color scheme, and all be done in ornamemtal ironwork style reminiscent of that found on the steam paddlewheelers for the most part. I could see the Memphis Ornamental Metal Museum playing a key role with ride makers on doing this. They would be build in ways that maximize space like elevated platforms that used something else underneath. That also raises them up in case of historical flooding.

This is representational of that raised platform concept

Like I said, uniform classic styling not carnival or county fair gaudy. Ornamental fencing around the rides with a healthy emphasis on a gardens look with plenty of landscaping. That Island sets vacant way too long during the year. It can be put to use is so many ways with things the area is completely missing and done so very tastfully.

Tivoli has an aquarium, an oriental garden lake, performance areas like a puppet theater, it isn't just rides. They are just but a part of the make up of it. It's got a little something for everyone.

The last proposals has lots of good in it. But it is still lacking that punch that I describe above. That makes it more than Shelby Farms 2.0. That with an aquarium added to what Memphis already has really elevates it's Family Weekend getaway game

A 300 to 400 foot tall Star Flyer with a signature element on top (a brass Mucic note?)

A 250 ft. Tall ferris wheel with enclosed capules for year round comfort

A drop/shot tower style ride

A compact steel thrill coaster!

A compact steel superstructure wooden Track coaster.

A multilevel Carousel House with a double deck carousel as the centerpeice with 4 or 5 more rides for the younger folk. A second level 360 degree mezzanine with concessions, birthday/party rooms and games that overlooks the lower ride level. Kiddie coaster and other rides.

And about 5 to 10 other rides with about half under open air covered structures providing elements protection and the other half uncovered and a couple designed to be pads for non permanent ride so as new rides can replace others over time to keep some things fresh.

A play structure complete with slides and rope style obstacle courses.

Two water rides for summer a interactive boat ride with water cannons that would be set to the Battle of Memphis and a log flume/ shoot the chutes ride

And finally, a zero entry water play structure with various slides with the dump bucket on top.

St Louis is starting their new aquarium at Union Station. Cost around 100 million. Just a cost info nugget.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 5:03 PM

Quote:
It seems like the USL approached the Redbird's ownership group about starting a team here. The USL is rapidly growing at the moment and their strategy seems to be to cover all the secondary markets.

If this was the MLS I would say these are wild rumors, but the USL is a level down. With peer cities like Birmingham, Louisville, Richmond, etc.

I don't think this is a non story just yet.

More updates from the CA:

Is Memphis on the verge of getting a professional soccer franchise?/ Geoff Calkins, Commercial Appeal. 8/10/17

http://www.commercialappeal.com/stor...ise/554728001/

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Bakery Development

Key tax incentive has been approved. Next comes approval for the parking garage.

Things are moving quickly!

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...-first-hurdle/

We haven't touched on this part of it much:

Knight said the crux of the office development is a yet-to-be-announced tenant that is seeking to relocate its corporate headquarters to Memphis.

“We have 75,000 square feet of the adaptive reuse portion of the old Wonder Bread bakery that will be a financial services tenant we’re bringing in from out of town,” Knight said.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
More updates from the CA:

Is Memphis on the verge of getting a professional soccer franchise?/ Geoff Calkins, Commercial Appeal. 8/10/17

http://www.commercialappeal.com/stor...ise/554728001/
No matter how you cut it a football field/ soccer pitch in a baseball diamond is an awkward layout and the sightlines bad.

I would certainly hope the a permanent stadium better suited for this is built soon after.

I've gone on about an indoor stadium for some time between Union and Beale as part of a new Convention Center complex, but a stand alone stadium would be OK by me. If it is built soccer specific, it would be limited in use. It could hold outdoor festive type concerts which would provide a possible additional Venue for the BSMF.

Example:

Sporting Kansas City Stadium Concert

Concept art proposal for a StL. Soccer stadium with concerts in mind:

I still think that would a limiting use given the location

Extrapolate this out to an open air facility for around 35,000 to 45,000 for Uof M football
As well:

To go one step farther, would be to keep it basically outdoor and open air but have a way to cover it with a fabric barriers for brutal early to mid afternoon games and rainfall but does little outside of shade for temps.

I get that the Liberty Bowl wants more seats but that is for bleacher seats with very limited premium seating. How low could capacity go with the right amount of Chairbacks on lower level vs bleacher type seating in the upper and addition club and suite revenue.

If you ever build anything big enough for football, make sure it accommodates the LB. Even if it has to be built for 10,000 temp seats.

That would still be OK for concerts but rules out one off events like possible Final Four's or if the NCAA demands larger venues for the sweet 16 and elite 8 rounds. Forget about any convention center aspect.

But...I would take that STL proposal with the stage end.

Create additional entertainment district space between it and the Autozonee and down Beale.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations