HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 9:33 PM

so do all the guys playing in Europe have conditional contracts that let them come back to the nhl now?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 11:04 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Weve got Luongo for sale or trade. We need a solid first line defenceman and a third line centre. Any takers?
I'd give you Stajan and Bouwmeester for him. So long as we can bury his contract value in the minors.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 1:03 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
so do all the guys playing in Europe have conditional contracts that let them come back to the nhl now?
Yes

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 1:04 AM

I'd be really pissed if this was the year the Leafs won the cup. 48 games what a sad season. I plan on boycotting the NHL until next fall.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 1:17 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I really do miss yelling at the TV
I really do miss watching Max Pacioretty and Erik Cole score!!! It was such a good line last year, hopefully they pick up where they left.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
I'd be really pissed if this was the year the Leafs won the cup. 48 games what a sad season. I plan on boycotting the NHL until next fall.
You don't have to worry about that.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 4:16 AM

NHL support

Will you still support the NHL this season? Looks like a big movement towards a Lock them out. You make us miss 113 days, so we miss 113 days of all levels of support. Hit them in the pocket book. If the people aren't there then all parties suffer as it is a 50/50 split. 50% of nothing. We can wait till 2013/2014 season.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 4:30 AM
Construction Enthusiast

^ I don't think I need to take the NHL's business matters personally. Though I understand those who might.

I'm just thankful it's back.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 5:35 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
Will you still support the NHL this season? Looks like a big movement towards a Lock them out. You make us miss 113 days, so we miss 113 days of all levels of support. Hit them in the pocket book. If the people aren't there then all parties suffer as it is a 50/50 split. 50% of nothing. We can wait till 2013/2014 season.
With all due respect to the folks that feel this way (and trust me, I do understand) - I think you're a very small, but vocal, minority. At least in Canada. And in the US, I think it will be more apathy than an active boycott. With season ticket waiting lists running into the 1000(0)s in several Canadian cities, and most other buildings consistently in high demand, I really have a hard time believing we'll see much of an effect.

Don't get me wrong though - standing on your principles is a fantastic idea. Plus, you'll free up space in the buildings for people who traditionally have had a hard time going to games. So it's kinda win-win for everyone in the fanbase.

I just don't see a large boycott coming. People said the exact same thing in 2005 and the NHL had record crowds in Canada the first year back.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 3:08 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
With all due respect to the folks that feel this way (and trust me, I do understand) - I think you're a very small, but vocal, minority. At least in Canada. And in the US, I think it will be more apathy than an active boycott. With season ticket waiting lists running into the 1000(0)s in several Canadian cities, and most other buildings consistently in high demand, I really have a hard time believing we'll see much of an effect.

Don't get me wrong though - standing on your principles is a fantastic idea. Plus, you'll free up space in the buildings for people who traditionally have had a hard time going to games. So it's kinda win-win for everyone in the fanbase.

I just don't see a large boycott coming. People said the exact same thing in 2005 and the NHL had record crowds in Canada the first year back.
True. I am a member of a group of buddies that purchases season tickets. While fustrated and very pissed off about what happened, the idea of not renewing and robbing ourselfs of something we enjoy is pretty stupid.

Solution: I'll go out to eat before games and make sure I'm extra hammered before I get there so I can spend as little as possible on overpriced shitty arena food. When I get the corporate box 3-4 times a year, there is no way I'll expense $40 pizzas like before.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 3:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Legitimacy of a shortened season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
An 82 games season is more demanding than a shortened one. A cup is a cup by for me personally, an 82 games season Cup is more significant than an 48 games season Cup.
I disagree. The usual 80+ game season is already way too long as it stands and exists not to optimally separate the wheat from the chaff but to fill corporate coffers. 48 games is more than enough to determine who deserves to be in the playoffs and who doesn't. And in any event there are way too many teams that make the playoffs in the NHL anyway (including several with sub-500 records almost every year), so it's not as if it is a Herculean task or a tremendous achievement to make it to the final 16.

If anything the NHL should go to a 60 or 70-game regular season on a permanent basis. This would make a higher percentage of the games meaningful. But they won't. Too much money involved.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 3:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Almost all of them do.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 5:13 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I disagree. The usual 80+ game season is already way too long as it stands and exists not to optimally separate the wheat from the chaff but to fill corporate coffers. 48 games is more than enough to determine who deserves to be in the playoffs and who doesn't. And in any event there are way too many teams that make the playoffs in the NHL anyway (including several with sub-500 records almost every year), so it's not as if it is a Herculean task or a tremendous achievement to make it to the final 16.

If anything the NHL should go to a 60 or 70-game regular season on a permanent basis. This would make a higher percentage of the games meaningful. But they won't. Too much money involved.
yes yes yes.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 8:02 PM

I'm glad freeweed's Toronto trolling can start again now that the NHL is back.

Anyways it's ridiculous to suggest there'll be an asterisk beside the cup winner. Barely anyone even remember's that New Jersey's first cup win was in a shortened season until somebody brings it up.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 10:15 PM
ハルウララ

All players in Europe have conditional agreements and should be returning for camp. The only question mark is Kovalchuk who is still playing with SKA St. Petersburg (he played today, actually). Lubomir Visnovsky will be staying in Slovakia as he apparently has a personal agreement with the Islanders organization to do so.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 1:35 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
People said the exact same thing in 2005 and the NHL had record crowds in Canada the first year back.
That's because hockey to Canadians is like crack. It's addicting as hell,will make you poor, you'll hate yourself for going back to it, but god, does it ever feel good.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 5:54 PM

Leafs axe Burke: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle7105858/

That was out of the blue.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:05 PM
Go Chiefs!

I came to post this... you beat me.

Congrats Leafs... you are now without a GM and the season starts in a little more than a week.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:07 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Leafs axe Burke: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle7105858/

That was out of the blue.
WTF? Shocking. And unjustified in my opinion. I thought that Burke was doing some good things in Toronto.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:11 PM

Something must have happened. The timing is all wrong. There must have been some kind of blow up between Burke and the owners. Luongo? I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada