HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 10:43 PM
Dare Mighty Things

On April 10th, Boise State will be holding an open house for the final draft of the new 2014 Campus Master Plan. There should be lots of good stuff, I look forward to checking it out.

For community:
http://operations.boisestate.edu/cam...lyer_front.pdf

For students:
http://operations.boisestate.edu/cam...Tour_Flyer.pdf

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 11:31 PM

BSU Master Plan 2014 Presentation:

I'm looking forward to seeing what changes are in store for the new master plan at BSU. Here is a link to the presentation: BSU Pres

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 11:51 PM

$28M stadium upgrade/expansion for 2018 and $40M FY 2019

I just heard that part of the 6-year capital improvement plan submitted to the state board includes a $28M Bronco stadium improvement/expansion for FY 2018 and $40M for athletics/kinesiology multi-use facility for FY 2019. Awaiting details, if anyone finds out more please post it here. I know this will be part of the Masterplan update for 2014 but any early details would be great.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 2:23 PM

Has anyone heard when BSU will start construction on the new performing arts center on Capitol Boulevard?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 1:40 AM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Has anyone heard when BSU will start construction on the new performing arts center on Capitol Boulevard?

if you mean the graphic arts building, i've heard it's been put on hold indefinitely due to lack of funding.

very sad if true.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 12:41 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
if you mean the graphic arts building, i've heard it's been put on hold indefinitely due to lack of funding.

very sad if true.
When did you hear this? One of our classes met with the architects about a week and a half ago who were seeking input from students on what should be in the new building. It sounded like everything was still a go at that phase.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 2:49 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
When did you hear this? One of our classes met with the architects about a week and a half ago who were seeking input from students on what should be in the new building. It sounded like everything was still a go at that phase.

i heard it from a friend who…

heard it from a friend who…

heard it from another you've been messin' around.

(name that song)

actually, i don't recall who i heard it from, but it wasn't too long ago. a few weeks, maybe. i just remember how disappointed i was hearing that things were not moving quickly on it, because when it was originally announced, it was supposed to be on the "fast track".

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 4:03 PM

I hope the Fine Arts building (I was incorrect in calling it a performing arts center in my previous post) is still on track and appears to be via this link, but a construction date has not been announced.
http://operations.boisestate.edu/arc...arts-building/

If there is a funding issue then BSU needs to funnel money away from athletics to something more important such as the arts and get this building completed. Maybe I am a nerd, but I find something like this more exciting then a stadium expansion.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Maybe I am a nerd, but I find something like this more exciting then a stadium expansion.
Then call me a nerd as well.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 7:22 PM
Closed account

Alumni Center

Boise City Planning and Zoning meeting on new center plans will be June 2,2014:

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...00015&type=doc

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 10:31 PM

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...-naming-rights

Bronco Stadium No More: Albertsons Pays $12.5 Million For Naming Rights

Quote:
Prior to a press conference at Boise State announcing the deal, Albertsons CEO Bob Miller said that the deal is a reminder that Albertsons, which has experienced financial and ownership challenges in the past, remains a Boise company.

"We're anxious to let people know that we're here to stay, this is our corporate headquarters and it's going to stay that way," Miller said.

http://www.ktvb.com/boise-state/Albe...260138031.html

Albertsons buys naming rights for Bronco Stadium for $12.5M

Quote:
“It is our privilege to support Boise State,” said Bob Miller, CEO of Albertson’s LLC. “Albertsons has chosen to link our name with Boise State because we admire and share their commitment to the values of becoming part of the community, integrity, hard work, developing leadership and continuously learning and improving. This July marks our 75th year as a company, and growing our partnership with Boise State is a wonderful way to celebrate that accomplishment and extend our reach as the Official Grocer of Boise State Athletics.”

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 6:23 PM

The entire article is at the link.

http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/educa...-bsu/23259885/

Harvard professor helps launch new degree program at BSU

Quote:
BOISE -- Starting soon, Boise State University students can earn a degree from the newly formed College of Innovation and Design.

The idea is to help students cross learning boundaries easier. Gordon Jones will serve as the Dean of the College of Innovation and Design and plans to use his Ivy League experiences for the new degree program.

In 2011, Jones created Harvard University's I-Lab, or Innovation Lab, which launched ideas across areas of study.

Jones feels he can do the same sort of work in the Treasure Valley.

"It's a university that is very much pull yourself up by your boot straps, let's come together," he said. "I feel grateful to be here."

Fresh off the plane from Boston, Jones met with KTVB to talk about his vision for the College of Innovation and Design.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 2:49 AM

$40 Million Honors College Building Approved

Boise State University’s Honors College will get a bigger home, complete with living space for 656 students, in a new building across University Drive from the Student Union Building...
Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/0...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 2:51 PM
All man. Half nuts.

not bad; every new BSU development fits the current brick design, which will make the campus very nice when fully built out.

i'm curious, though... i've heard from multiple people that Boise State is concerned about running out of real estate for all of the projects they want to build. yet, whenever they construct something, it's one of these medium-density buildings with a huge footprint that takes up a ton of room.

are they not building more vertical due to cost? or is there a height restriction on campus? heck, even my alma mater of 3,000 undergrads has taller buildings than BSU does.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
not bad; every new BSU development fits the current brick design, which will make the campus very nice when fully built out.

i'm curious, though... i've heard from multiple people that Boise State is concerned about running out of real estate for all of the projects they want to build. yet, whenever they construct something, it's one of these medium-density buildings with a huge footprint that takes up a ton of room.

are they not building more vertical due to cost? or is there a height restriction on campus? heck, even my alma mater of 3,000 undergrads has taller buildings than BSU does.

From my understanding there's a height floor. Basically, no new buildings that are less than 4 floors. The new Alumni and Friends center is exempted from that policy because it's being built on university property by a non-profit (the foundation).

I doubt the university will run out of real estate in any realistic near future. Enrollments are stabilizing and the university is close to its bonding capacity. Beyond the Fine Arts building and a Materials and Physical Sciences building, there's probably a slowdown for university construction on the horizon. Anything new that gets built (like an on-campus baseball stadium, stadium expansion, on-campus hotel, etc.) will have to be via a PPP or self-funded with zero implication on the University's credit rating. However, the Honors College building is probably an indication that PPP is a viable new vehicle to finance these things. So, who knows. What enrollments do the next couple years of years will be a critical indication as to whether or not the university continues to build. But I will say that having a premium education product (the Honors College) that will be competitive with other regional universities will definitely serve to attract students... so I think, all around, a really great decision by the university.

Too much height in academic buildings can actually be problematic... you wind up with departments and programs that are stratified across floors, which can contribute to factionalism, particularly in departments where there is already some division. MIT's Green building holds the Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences department... the physical stratification and separation that that building imposes is definitely not helpful to the disciplinary divisions that are already present.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 4:29 AM

CUP details for the new Honors College building are now posted:
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=CUP15-00082

Building includes a new dining facility, classroom, and dorm space.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 6:28 PM

I am not sure if this has been posted, but the 2015 master plan preview is available in PDF.

http://operations.boisestate.edu/campus-masterplan/

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 6:08 PM
Closed account

New Buildings

Boise State is really getting great designs for these two new buildings:

Center for Materials Research

Fine Arts

Boise State University renderings

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 4:51 PM

Honors College site

Fencing has gone up around the new Honors College building site at Boise State. It's going to be one huge construction site. With Broadway Bridge being closed and the extra traffic University will see, should make for an interesting spring semester traffic-wise.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 2:16 PM

Wow, according to this article all four of the big apartment developments (Vista East, Vista West, River's Edge, and La Pointe) are at or near full capacity, with some excess demand... http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e94993257.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West