HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 2:51 AM
BANNED

I love how Metropolitan Tower looks razor thin when viewed from the side.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 3:44 AM

They grow up so fast...

*wipes tear*

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 4:32 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalas View Post
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
HOW SICK IS THAT! Because it's reflecting the back of the Essex House sign, the reflection (its mirror-image) reads correctly forwards. Now that's something else.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 4:57 AM
An Optimistic Realist

This tower will be up before anyone notices it.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
This tower will be up before anyone notices it.
I have a feeling the user "The Big Apple" will notice it.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMIII View Post
I guess the finished product will be awesome, but still it's quite strange to imagine how those different claddings will melt together.
I agree. It's up there with the Trump & the Aqua in Chicago, as well as 8 Spruce + BOA tower in NYC. Of everything under way in NYC, though, I think I like 250 East 57th the most (at least from the renders).

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 7:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
This is such a landmark tower. It's going to be compared to the Chrysler building once it's finished. This is, in my opinion, the best new skyscraper in the US, hands down. I don't think there's anything more elegant than this.
I think this will be one of those towers that even New Yorkers will notice or become familar with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Damn. I was hoping NYC would finally get a residential building with a residence at 1000 ft. At least its a big improvement over 8 Spruce, a full 100 ft. taller.
If that's all you want, try the 432 Park Avenue thread.

http://architecture.mapolismagazin.c...-new-york-city

Quote:

...the architects gathered around Christian de Portzamparc have tested various alternatives for making use of the base area, shape, volume, height and spatial program in the best possible way. The geometry is a result of the strict building regulations and structural restraints, having a cascade-like effect on the Southern façade. Each vertical element has a round top, similar to a cap, either concentrating the various construction elements in a constructive manner, or opening up space for extravagant terraces and private platforms providing views across Central Park.

Apart from that, the architects consider the shape arising from the floor plan to be the perfect outline being a visual identity of its own, noticeable from afar, within the striking skyline. Various glass types – providing the same visual impression from inside – increase the vertical pattern and at the same time distinguish the Northern-Southern façade from the other sides. The light coming in from different sides results in a changeful play.
People are commenting on the various glass types, but it's all part of the plan.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLuver View Post
Its not brown. I was there and I even took similar photos, posted a page or 2 back. Its reflecting the brown of the building across the street actually. Its not a bright blue, no, its a silvery blue along with reflected mirror like class. In person it actually looks stunning.
Thank you for your answer NYCluver.

Like Big Apple, I am still a bit suspicious about how those different claddings will blend together.

Even the greatest architects can make mistakes, I guess that the best is to wait and see.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 1:32 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Wow the cladding is rising QUICK. Yesterday they were up to the 3rd floor on the south face and now they're up to the 7th floor.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 4:13 PM
New Yorker for life

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...d-at-its-feet/

The World at Its Feet

By ALEXEI BARRIONUEVO
Feb 3, 2012

Quote:
New York real estate can bring out even the most dormant phobias of potential buyers. With so many options, apartment hunters can easily be paralyzed by decidophobia (yes, it’s a real term, and means the fear of making decisions). That doesn’t seem to be a problem for the wealthy investors who are wiring millions of dollars to New York to snatch up a piece of 157 West 57th Street — what will be New York City’s tallest residential building, with 90 floors overlooking Central Park. A bigger worry for these buyers may be acrophobia (fear of heights) or batophobia (fear of being near an object of great height, like a skyscraper).

The building (One57, as it brands itself) is not expected to open until the fall of 2013, but sales are already brisk, thanks in large part to interest from buyers from Russia and China, said Gary Barnett, the president of Extell Development Company, which is building the tower. Mr. Barnett said the willingness of foreign buyers to open their wallets for New York real estate “gave us the confidence to do layouts the way I would like them to be, with large, gracious spaces and volume, and not so many bedrooms.”

Buyers have appeared from all over the globe, including South America, and there have been multiple sales to people from China, Mr. Barnett said. Fact sheets for the building have been translated into Russian and Mandarin. Spanish, Portuguese and Italian translations are in the works. Americans, including New Yorkers, are buying as well, though they are a little late to the party. “Some want to buy, and we don’t have the exact product they want anymore,” Mr. Barnett said.

On Wednesday, the developers of One57 and Christian de Portzamparc, the French “starchitect” on the project, as the builders called him, explained their vision for the 1,004-foot-tall building at a mimosa-and-bellini-fueled event. Mr. Portzamparc said he tried to design the building’s exterior “like a staircase of curved roofs.”

The lighted and vented top will make the building a beacon at night. The architect said he designed the east-west facade in a pixelated pattern with three colors of glass.

Quote:
I’ve seen this kind of movie before. I come from Chicago, a city of extra-tall buildings. I remember covering the announcement in 2005 of the “Spire” in Chicago, the stunning birthday candle-shaped residential structure designed by the Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava. The project was supposed to be 2,000 feet tall, with 150 floors. It was abandoned in 2008 due to ongoing financial struggles and the global recession. The difference is New York, of course, where Wall Street’s collapse seemed to barely land a glancing blow to the cheek of high-end residential real estate. “People still see New York as a fantastic place to put their money,” Mr. Tubb said.

Sales managers said they received 1,000 inquiries for the building and responded to all of them. That led Jeannie Woodbrey, a senior sales executive at One57, to a 14-year-old boy from a town outside of Buffalo who called a few weeks ago to inquire about the six-bedroom penthouse. “Can you buy the apartment now?” she asked patiently. “No, but I will be able to in a couple of years,” he responded, sharing with her his plans to open a chain of hotels and “a bunch of Internet companies.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 4:34 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ thats an awesome story with the little kid calling the relator lol!

i did not realize so much cladding was up already. definately need to go take a look. i like how deeply it ripples over the sidewalk. interesting and surprising.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 7:49 PM

the hubris of that kid is admirable/scary.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 10:51 PM
New Yorker for life

^ that kid will rule the world someday...

jdong

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 3:23 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 3:37 AM

Wait.. so the penthouse is now $115 million? According to the NYT article it is. I wonder why the price keeps changing?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 3:39 AM
Khurram Parvaz

One57 was also in the NY Post yesterday, for the same piece of news.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
How high is this now? About halfway up? Or a little more?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 4:57 AM
BANNED

More than half... it is nearly 700 feet now I think. I assume top-out late this year?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
More than half... it is nearly 700 feet now I think. I assume top-out late this year?
Yeah you're right, its probably a little shy of 700 feet right now. I just looked up the height of the Carnegie Hall Tower, which is 757 feet. Not quite there yet.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 12:11 PM
don't *meddle*...

^^ About 650ft tall now...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive