HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWorldTradeCenter View Post
Why is the tower crane beside the buiding and not atop the core?
If the crane were to be on the core, the vertical portion would be imbedded in the concrete. They only put the crane on the core if they use that jack up pouring form like they use on the Shard in London or something similiar to it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 3:04 PM

Since I didn't post these last week, here you go. From the looks of it (and since this floor wasn't here from 12/21), it looks like it's taking about 2 weeks a floor (see 1/3 photos for this floor). Keep in mind that there's no construction elevator yet. This suggests it is going on the 58th St side, as they only just reached the first solid floor over there (Triple Height Lobby in Sim Tower FTW). Considering the renderings suggest 58th St has a 1005' shear wall coming to it, this makes reasonable sense. Progress on the site is also quite continuous, so we'll see how it plays out in the coming months.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 4:55 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 1:40 PM
BANNED

Beautiful!!!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 1:46 PM
New Yorker for life

It is beautiful, but sadly no Tower Verre... Notice the other big boys in the background.

One thing about this tower, its at least under construction, while we still wait for a final Tower Verre design.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 1:49 PM
don't *meddle*...

i want to wake up in the morning where c57, 15 penn, tower verre and co. are already finished.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 1:49 PM
BANNED

True.

The good news though is that the super rich in NY are doing really well, so maybe Torre Verre will break ground in 2011 and maybe, we'll see a design this year for 225 W57th and 220 CPS.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 2:38 PM
JACKinBeantown

NY Times article highlighting Carnegie 57 and why apartment prices will start rising again by the end of the year. The photo shows that they're working on the fifth floor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/re...6cov.html?_r=1

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 10:15 PM

WOW!!
That rendering is just beautiful, breathtaking

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 10:18 PM
JACKinBeantown

Yawn... just another amazing rendering by STR.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 11:13 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It is beautiful, but sadly no Tower Verre... Notice the other big boys in the background.

One thing about this tower, its at least under construction, while we still wait for a final Tower Verre design.
TV is there, it's just out of frame. Keep in mind, that until they release a definitive design I'm just using a simple massing model, so it isn't much to look at anyway. It's a tiny sliver of a building, and is in about a dozen of my previous renders, but is generally to small to be seen unless you were specifically looking for it.

Anyway, new hotness.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 11:51 PM

In my opinion, of course, I find it hard to see any postmodern projects built, planned, or under construction outside of nyc, chicago, or philly that rivals the quality of this architecture. I am absolutely in love with C57's sleek, classy design. I love that it isn't overdone or tacky like soooo many new projects in the world today trying to be cutting edge. For me, the design is perfect. If the facade is also beautiful, I don't see what's stopping this, design-wise, from being among the most beautiful buildings in the world upon completion.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 12:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
In my opinion, of course, I find it hard to see any postmodern projects built, planned, or under construction outside of nyc, chicago, or philly that rivals the quality of this architecture. I am absolutely in love with C57's sleek, classy design. I love that it isn't overdone or tacky like soooo many new projects in the world today trying to be cutting edge. For me, the design is perfect. If the facade is also beautiful, I don't see what's stopping this, design-wise, from being among the most beautiful buildings in the world upon completion.
I could not agree more...this is a breathaking building. I've been in love with it since the first time I saw the renders.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 12:23 AM

By way of these new renders I have concluded this building MUST me built.

So far so good, keep going!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 12:27 AM
Seek The Upward Horizon

It seems natural that the angled face oriented toward the Park will have some sort of additional styling beyond the regular facade. My preference would be some kind of linear, symmetrical golden pattern, but vertical slats would be fine. Here are some crudely-rendered ideas (I used MS Paint, sorry I'm not an artist) - although I have no clue what the actual designers intend for the face. I borrowed a small fragment of STR's render for these, hopefully it's cool. It's crudity means you have to use your imagination for how it might look good in reality.

Carnegie 57 render a by troubadour1, on Flickr

Carnegie 57 render b by troubadour1, on Flickr

Carnegie 57 render c by troubadour1, on Flickr

Carnegie 57 render d by troubadour1, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 2:49 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
TV is there, it's just out of frame.

In that particular view it would be visible just to the right of 15 Penn/BofA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
NY Times article highlighting Carnegie 57 and why apartment prices will start rising again by the end of the year. The photo shows that they're working on the fifth floor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/re...6cov.html?_r=1
Why Your Next Place May Cost More

By VIVIAN S. TOY
January 14, 2011

Quote:
Now, as the market plods along in a slow but steady recovery, brokers and developers are saying the city will soon face a shortage of new development projects.

Brokers, developers and market watchers say that barring any significant economic hiccups, real estate values in Manhattan will continue to grow at a measured rate through 2011. But starting in 2012, after most or all the new projects that were stalled or delayed have finally sold out, the supply of new apartments will take a decided dip, and prices for all apartments could start to rise significantly again. “Once we work through the existing inventory and there’s nothing new coming on line,” said Kelly Mack, the president of the Corcoran Sunshine Marketing Group, “there’s going to be a major shift in the market. Prices may start going up significantly in 2012, in anticipation of the shift in inventory.”

Gary Barnett, the president of Extell Development and one of the few developers who continued building through the downturn, said the lack of inventory was more pronounced now than in previous recessions. “In the early 1990s,” he said, “there was a big overhang of things that had been built in the late ’80s, but when things stopped this time, it just fell off a cliff.”

Last year, Extell started a hotel/condo project on West 57th Street near Carnegie Hall with 136 condo units, which Mr. Barnett said would come to market in 2013.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 3:34 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Eh. I might have hidden it as, honestly, it's not that nice of a building. I think people just have a thing for it because it's different. At least it was chopped down, the proportions work much better at 1050 than 1250, assuming they only take the floors out of the middle of the building.

Last edited by STR; Jan 16, 2011 at 4:28 AM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 3:39 AM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
In my opinion, of course, I find it hard to see any postmodern projects built, planned, or under construction outside of nyc, chicago, or philly that rivals the quality of this architecture.
I don't find this tower PoMo, but I agree with everything else you're saying.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 4:24 AM
Ex Houstonian

When I saw STRs render of this tower, my heart started to beat faster, fucking amazing! This has to be finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 4:42 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Okay, it seems I put checked the "do not render this object" box, so it was visible while I was composing the shot in my workspace, but not in the final image. Oh well. Honestly, it's not that nice of a building. I think people just have a thing for it because it's different and slender, which I guess is a bit of a engineering triumph. It's better than a lot of buildings, but it lacks the excellent proportions of great building.

But I'll let the rest of you make your own calls.

Last edited by STR; Jan 16, 2011 at 5:03 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive