HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 18, 2006, 4:03 PM
Super duper illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind
yea, hence they "old and grey" print it comes in.

screw sapphire and build something else. Only thing it had going was size.
im tired of this kind of bullcrap...anyone who didnt like sapphire seems to think everyone els hated it to, there were MANY people who absolutely loved the design.

I used to be a schizphrenic, but we're okay now

My SSP diagram
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?m15179

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 1:35 AM

i only didn't like the top ball thing with spire, the rest of it was good

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 12:09 PM
samsonyuen

From: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...nment/Ontario/

JOHN BENTLEY MAYS
It's hardly news that the town-planning fashion called "new urbanism" -- with its emphasis on gracious, walkable boulevards and old-fashioned streetscapes -- is taking firm root in suburbs across North America. Of more interest, however, are the surprising things that happen when this philosophy hits the ground.

Take Cathedraltown, a 2,000-unit residential project now under construction in the Toronto suburb of Markham. Like U.S. developments executed under the rubric of new urbanism, Cathedraltown intends to defy monotonous sprawl and feature a mix of homes and shops, live/work spaces and offices, all within walking distance of each other. It's to be a pleasant blend of the ingredients, in other words, that make up any successful town.

But livability is where the comparison of Cathedraltown with American models ends. The U.S. versions of new urbanism seek to evoke small Southern towns at the turn of the 20th century, with their white frame façades, sociable porches, Fourth of July picnics and so forth. In sharp contrast to that brand of nostalgia, Cathedraltown offers its own: 19th-century European this time, with robust little buildings standing proudly around a central square dominated by a great church.

I suspect that everyone who's been up the 404 between Toronto and Newmarket has seen the church at the heart of the Cathedraltown scheme. It's the imposing, baroque Cathedral of the Transfiguration, rising from a pasture just east of the expressway, which was begun in the early 1980s by late industrialist Stephen Roman on his Markham property. (The interior of this structure, which Mr. Roman meant to be the mother church of Canada's 30,000 Eastern-Rite Slovak Catholics, is still incomplete.)

As explained to me by Helen Roman-Barber, who is developing Cathedraltown on the site of her father's cattle ranch, the project will introduce a strong grid of through streets lined, in the cathedral quarter, by mixed-use buildings up to six storeys tall. A straight high street, with shops and services, will extend westward from the church toward the 404. Shorter structures, mainly residential, will dot the grid as it falls away from the cathedral, creating an attractive, staged transition from high and ceremonial -- the church's golden domes are as tall as 20-storey buildings -- to the intimate scale of two-storey residences. A low-shouldered lake, now under construction, will provide further counterpoint and visual balance to the soaring church.

Cathedraltown is more, of course, than an attempt to replicate an old-world plan on new-world soil. To help with the fashioning of the project's stylistic look, Mrs. Roman-Barber has commandeered the talents of a somewhat unlikely designer: Donald Buttress, senior partner in the British firm Buttress Fuller Alsop Williams, and from 1988 to 1999, the official architect of Westminster Abbey. Dr. Buttress's best-known architectural work so far has been the restoration of the abbey's famous and magnificent west front -- not exactly the kind of thing you'd expect to find in the résumé of a designer of suburban houses on Ontario farmland.

But Mrs. Roman-Barber has large ambitions for Cathedraltown. Drawings by Dr. Buttress on the development's website show a dignified, compact town centre, with august Georgian buildings topped by domes and spires echoing the towers of Transfiguration cathedral. One cannot imagine a Blockbuster outlet in such a serious place, let alone a Mac's Milk store. It will look more like a Cambridge college than anything I've ever seen on the outskirts of town.

Will Cathedraltown work as a living community? We'll get an answer when it is built out and complete, some five years from now (if all goes according to the developer's ambitious timetable). There are reasons to be cautious, however, having to do with the portion of Cathedraltown that's largely finished and now being occupied.

There, on the northern edge of the project, the high style and period flair Dr. Buttress has lavished on the future town centre is largely absent. The note struck by the variously designed houses along the avenues -- the street names, by the way, come from prize-winning heifers and bulls raised by Mr. Roman -- is Georgian or early Victorian: sturdy, dressed-down, businesslike. To work as an urban form, Georgian needs oomph and big-city attitude it doesn't have here. And the developer's neglect of retail -- even a milk store -- in this part of the project means that, so far, Cathedraltown is looking a lot like the monoform, car-dependent suburbia it's trying so hard not to become.

Though I am usually dismayed by architectural nostalgia of any kind, I'll be watching the rollout of Cathedraltown with interest. The Georgianism and Europeanism of it all is surely part of the marketing strategy, but I find the approach -- as expressed in Dr. Buttress's sketches -- to be more earnest and principled than mere salesmanship. Cathedraltown is suburbia with an engaging twist -- hence its durable interest to everyone fascinated by what's new out on the ever-evolving city's edge.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 1:39 PM

No mention of Phase 3 of Murano in this thread?. 48 storeys across Bay street from phase one and two under construction (maintains the heritage Addison facade as part of the podium).

What a city. Any place else a 48s tower would be worthy news!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2006, 10:49 PM

I don't want to be a party pooper but I'm guessing we will see a Trump redesign at some point. May I suggest a 750 ft 55 floor ultra luxury hotel without many large suites? Trump's tower is in a great spot for accommodating the mon-fri executive crowd but who wants to be in the finanical core on the week end? - Ice

Old Posted Aug 26, 2006, 4:25 AM
Super duper illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by icescraper
I don't want to be a party pooper but I'm guessing we will see a Trump redesign at some point. May I suggest a 750 ft 55 floor ultra luxury hotel without many large suites? Trump's tower is in a great spot for accommodating the mon-fri executive crowd but who wants to be in the finanical core on the week end? - Ice
uumm, no i highly doubte we will..why on earth would they re-design it to 750ft???

I used to be a schizphrenic, but we're okay now

My SSP diagram
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?m15179

Old Posted Aug 27, 2006, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilioo
uumm, no i highly doubte we will..why on earth would they re-design it to 750ft???
They need to reduce square footage by approximately a third to make project viable. Nobodies going to start construction on such a major condo project in this city without 65% dollar value sold. I've heard figures from 40% to 50% value sold depending on "creative?" accounting however these numbers haven't seemed moved much in the last year. Now that Ritz construction is pseudo started and sales to open soon on other proven major luxury hotel groups, I don't really see any reason why Trump sales should pick up. Hey, I would love to see this tower built. It would be good for Toronto not to mention the skyline but things see kind of quiet over there.- ice

If anybody's heard anything positive about this one recently speak up.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2006, 7:58 PM
I am the law!

this project will either be built as is or be cancelled. I highly doubt it would be scaled down in order to meet pre-sales construction targets - profit margins rarely work that way

Old Posted Aug 28, 2006, 12:21 AM

i think that they may consider makeing some of the luxury condo's smaller so they can be cheaper.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2006, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin'
this project will either be built as is or be cancelled. I highly doubt it would be scaled down in order to meet pre-sales construction targets - profit margins rarely work that way

Problem is they've invested millions into sales and advertising. Nobodies going to walk away from that. Additionally they've secured the land, total cost I've heard for 40 million (I don't know under what type of agreement). Finally 200 million in sales on any other project is a winner. Problem is its close to a 500 million dollar building. They won't walk away from it, they won't lower the square foot price. Either they have to sell the units (something they haven't had much success at lately) or scale back. Love the building but just being realistic. I give it a 1 in 3 chance it will be built as currently planned. - ice

Old Posted Aug 30, 2006, 5:43 PM
BANNED

Some new images of a few projects taken by Cassius over on urbantoronto Aug 30th 2006.

Spire

RoCP 1

Met

Metropolis

Ryerson

Old Posted Aug 30, 2006, 6:19 PM
BKLYN

I like Spire. very simple and sleek.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2006, 8:29 PM

Agreed Supa. Some times re-interpreting the basic geometrics in a classy fashion is enough. No gaudy add-ons required.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 1:51 AM

Spire looks amazing! Its hard to believe this one was once a slow seller. - ice

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 6:12 PM

Toronto's Big Boom

Toronto is currently going through, primarily condos but office buildings are now on the rise right also. It is estimated that a condo is sold every 4 minutes in Toronto, which if you do the math is quite staggering.

Trump Tower Toronto - 324m / 1066ft

College Park 3 - 75 floors

1 Bloor East - 219m / 718ft

Bay-Adelaide Centre - 218m / 715ft

Signature - 218m / 715ft

Shangri-La - 214m / 702ft

Ritz-Carlton - 213m / 699 ft

Four Seasons - 193m / 633ft

Hummingbird Centre - 189m / 620ft

Maple Leafs Sqaure - 186m / 610ft

RBC Centre - 185m / 607ft

Quantum North - 160m / 525ft

Telus Tower - 160m / 525ft

The Uptown Residence - 158m / 518ft

Festival Tower - 157m / 515ft

Residence of College Park 1 - 154m / 505ft

Spire - 145m / 476ft

Casa - 138m / 453ft

Pinnacle Centre 3 - 137m / 450ft

X - 137m / 450ft

West One - 136m / 446ft

Montage - 131m / 430ft

The Met - 127m / 417ft

Crystal Blu - 126m / 413ft

Verve - 120m / 393ft

Quantum South - 118m / 387ft

18 Yonge - 117m / 384ft

M5VLife - 116m / 381ft

N1 - 114m / 374ft

Murano North - 113m / 370ft

London on the Esplanade - 109m / 358ft

Accolade

Platinum XO

500 Sherbourne 107m / 350ft

One Saint Thomas - 106m / 347ft

Infinity East Tower

One Bedford - 100m / 328ft

Pure Spirit

The Victory - 94m / 308ft

Eq2

Malibu

Breeze

Grand Triomphe

Canada Life

Rosewood

22 Condominiums

The Forest Hill

Hudson

Element

Quay at West Tip Top

Panache Condominiums

Rosewood 2

CCBR

The Rockefeller on Bay

Minto Gardens

Boutique Condos

88 on Broadway

900 Mount Pleasant

The Avenue

Dia

Saint Gabriels Village 1 & 2

MaRS Discovery District

The Pointe

2077 LakeShore West

The Lotus

One City Hall

Promenade Park

Neo

W Hotel

Morrison Hall

Honestly I could keep on going but we'll stop right there . There is a whole list of buildings with a render also.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 6:20 PM

Screw this being moved!!! No one looks at this thread but Torontonians.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 6:25 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Canada Life and CCBR are completed.

I don't think the Pointe is in existance anymore.

The Rockefeller on Bay? If you're referring to Rockefeller as part of the Daniels Development in North York, it's pretty well done too.

Flickr®

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 6:25 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner
Screw this being moved!!! No one looks at this thread but Torontonians.
So?

Flickr®

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
Canada Life and CCBR are completed.

I don't think the Pointe is in existance anymore.

The Rockefeller on Bay? If you're referring to Rockefeller as part of the Daniels Development in North York, it's pretty well done too.
Gee im sorry its not 100% perfect, there are like 80 buildings there. The Rockefeller is meant to say on Bayview not Bay.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 2:09 PM

So has anything actually been released about ROCP 3?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations