HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 2:16 PM

I was referring to no grade seps if they went with Letellier route. They have one on the dog leg route at McGillivray.

Anyways, It's not that I'm disagreeing with all these points about stations begin built in fields and such. I just don't think it would be so much better built along the Letellier either.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
To be fair though, Winnipeg probably isn't big enough for full on grade-separated rail transit. Vancouver was at a million people when SkyTrain opened.

That's why I say that all things considered, I'd actually prefer for the BRT lines to not be built at all....
Both Hamilton and Kitchener are building rail transit lines and they are both smaller than Winnipeg.

As to the other point, I agree. Once the SW Transitway is complete, suspend planning and development for any further BRT lines. The final price tag isn't in for the Transitway, esp. with all of the already needed repairs, but by the time it's complete, the 8 mile bus roadway will probably cost nearly as much as the Twin Cities spent to complete the 11 mile Green Line, and that included new rolling stock.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 4:02 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Calgary and Edmonton were both smaller than 500,000 when they first had LRT. To be fair to your point though, both cities had to grow to around the size Winnipeg city population is today before LRT really started to take off...there was a time when the LRT in Edmonton was a ghost ship and was lambasted for being pricey and not having much ridership (they had one short line...not unlike the current RT line in Winnipeg)

Winnipeg could have done it, and imo should have, but its too late now. At least the BRT routes are being designed with the ability to be converted to LRT in the future a la Ottawa
Yes, but theirs is an almost commuter-rail style LRT that's non-grade separated, extremely dependent on downtown, and relies very heavily on park & rides. It's very different from the kind of transit backbone I would ideally prefer personally.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 4:07 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Both Hamilton and Kitchener are building rail transit lines and they are both smaller than Winnipeg.

As to the other point, I agree. Once the SW Transitway is complete, suspend planning and development for any further BRT lines. The final price tag isn't in for the Transitway, esp. with all of the already needed repairs, but by the time it's complete, the 8 mile bus roadway will probably cost nearly as much as the Twin Cities spent to complete the 11 mile Green Line, and that included new rolling stock.
Yes but they're not grade-separated rail lines. There's a much bigger difference in speed and capacity between non-grade separated and grade-separated than there is between bus and rail. I think Winnipeg could support the type of LRTs Hamilton and Kitchener are building. I just think both are making a mistake for building them.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 4:16 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolselyMan View Post
-If we're building a backbone for a bus-only freeway system, which is what a properly conceived BRT system SHOULD look like, then why is the second line jam backed with tremendously expensive bus stations located in the middle of nowhere? Since they're utterly useless as any sort of pedestrian hub, (TOD not withstanding) the only reason anyone would be in those stations is to transfer between buses. Yet that defeats the whole purpose of BRT in the first place over rail, which is the ability avoid transfers between the rapid transit and local transit part of your commute.

-If we're actually trying to build a faux LRT line where quick travel times and conveniently located stations near populated areas is emphasized over eliminating transfers between transports and streamlining journeys. Why does it take a route that is neither the shortest nor most even slightly populated? If you wanna build BRT, BUILD IT AS BRT and not as an imaginary LRT that full grown adults can use to have a game of lets-play-pretend with. I guess it's to be the "bus freeway" conception after all.

-OK, so if it is, then why are we emphasizing stations over connections to the street grid then? There's a reason we don't put bus stops along freeways. That's because a freeways purpose is not to serve populated areas right next to it, but to serve as a shortcut for long distance travel across an entire city. It's an artery, which means you want many connections to access between the local traffic system (the street grid) and the rapid traffic system (the freeway). And yet for the two most important arterial bus routes the transit way will pass over, McGillivray and Bishop Grandin, they didn't design any access points to the transitway for buses going along MGV and BG! All that money being spent building all those pointlessly overbuilt stations on Chevrier, Clarence, and Parker could have went instead to reinforcing both the grade separation and grid connections to the rest of the existing streetscape. And yet now we're going to be stuck with completely empty stations and buses along McGillivray and Bishop Grandin that will have ZERO ability to actually take advantage of this whole new busway that's meant to serve them in the first place!

Here's a radical idea. How about NO stations along the BRT line. That's right, even on the already existing first of the rapid transit corridor. All that money we spent pumping up Osborne station with steroids could have instead gone towards updating all the bus stops around it in Osborne village. You know, where all the people actually are? The buses could pick people up those existing spots, and then move onto the rapid transit corridor. That way, everything would have been used for what it's best at. The local neighborhood stops for servicing passengers, and the corridor for speeding across the city. This is so obvious to me that it makes me want to cry from how stupid the city planning department is, and how much of it is actually staffed by genuine city planners.
I don't mean to start another debate on this, but I just wanted to further clarify my unpopular comments in that I just didn't know that's (highways for buses) what was expected. You have to keep in mind that I'm new to Winnipeg and I don't know the history of BRT development and promises here - I just know what's done in other places and I'm basing my opinions on that.

Aside from Ottawa, I actually can't think of a system where transitways are like highways that are meant for buses to come on and off of them. BRTs in Gatineau, LA, Albuquerque, etc all use the "median-LRT-but-buses" form that you speak about.

I'm not trying to comment on which is better or anything, but just contextualize why I appear to be almost talking about the wrong thing here.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Yes but they're not grade-separated rail lines. There's a much bigger difference in speed and capacity between non-grade separated and grade-separated than there is between bus and rail. I think Winnipeg could support the type of LRTs Hamilton and Kitchener are building. I just think both are making a mistake for building them.
Not grade separated, but they will run primarily on separate rights-of-way. Trains running on separate rights-of-way with traffic signal preemption can be every bit as rapid and with similar capacity as a system with full grade separation. Certainly at some of the major intersections, for example, Main and Chief Peguis, there could be grade separation built so the trains go under (or over) the roadway.

A system with full grade separation is not an option for Winnipeg anyways. The elevated model, like the SkyTrain in Vancouver, is not amenable to Winnipeg's climate, and the underground model (ie. subway) would be prohibitively expensive.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 12:09 PM
BANNED

Winnipeg Transits motto should be: Offering crappy and unreliable service to those who always use our service and spending hundreds of millions to entice those who don’t!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 3:13 PM

Or: "When your bus arrives, you'll have 3 to choose from – but no more for another half hour!"

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 8:32 PM

Transit is going to be buying under its existing contract with New Flyer up to 28 new 60 Ft., articulated buses this year.

From report sent to the Standing Policy Committee on Infrastructure Renewal and Public Works minutes for Sept 7/18.

"The additional purchase is necessary to accommodate fleet replacement, alleviate high
passenger loads on several routes, reduce instances of customers being passed up by full
buses, and prepare for the opening of Stage 2 Southwest Transit-way."

If they purchase all the buses it will bring the number of articulated buses at Winnipeg Transit up to 48.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 4:16 PM

^How has the electric bus testing been going? You'd think by now between Hydro, RRC, and New Flyer being here, we'd be on a path to start rolling out more now.

And I don't mean a Henny Motkaluk "let's replace every bus with money we don't have!!!!" but more of, as we need to order more, maybe it's time we start ordering more electric ones. I know that they need charging stations – I think it was a mistake to not include these on the RT line.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^How has the electric bus testing been going? You'd think by now between Hydro, RRC, and New Flyer being here, we'd be on a path to start rolling out more now.

And I don't mean a Henny Motkaluk "let's replace every bus with money we don't have!!!!" but more of, as we need to order more, maybe it's time we start ordering more electric ones. I know that they need charging stations – I think it was a mistake to not include these on the RT line.
I think you can only have the charging station at the Transit station. It takes hours to charge those batteries, the bus has to be taken out of service to charge.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 1:49 PM

As I've mentioned many times, we have the largest electric bus manufacturer in North America and major cities all over are buying their buses. But not in Winnipeg. That would be too easy.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 1:55 PM

Those new bike lanes around HSC sure are slowing things down, there was an articulated bus stuck at McDermot and Emily, due to too tight of a turn, rite in AM rush hour.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 1:56 PM

Good to know, but it would be better if the province started funding more electric buses.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 2:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
Those new bike lanes around HSC sure are slowing things down, there was an articulated bus stuck at McDermot and Emily, due to too tight of a turn, rite in AM rush hour.
Spending on bike lanes is completely over the top especially when you consider just how few actually use them, spending what they are for less than .0005% of the population that cycle commute is plain recklessness.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 2:54 PM

My buddy moved into an apartment on Assiniboine this past weekend and we watched in horror as a couple of cyclists were almost mowed down. They, ofcourse, were cycling down the street not using the bike lane.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:26 PM
What could go wrong?

I do not use the downtown bike lanes and it is unlikely that I ever will, but I feel it makes the city a better place, adds more options for transportation and makes the streets safer for both cyclists and motorists.

I love and use regularly the newer trails around my house (Kildonan Greenway, Chief Pegius Trail network) and am happy my tax dollar went to making them possible.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I do not use the downtown bike lanes and it is unlikely that I ever will, but I feel it makes the city a better place, adds more options for transportation and makes the streets safer for both cyclists and motorists.

I love and use regularly the newer trails around my house (Kildonan Greenway, Chief Pegius Trail network) and am happy my tax dollar went to making them possible.
I use those as trails as well regularly, big difference between dedicated AT trails and bike lanes recklessly hacked into city streets.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I use those as trails as well regularly, big difference between dedicated AT trails and bike lanes recklessly hacked into city streets.
Based on my anecdotal observations, I see more people using the downtown bike lanes every year. The first little while hardly anyone used the "sharrows". But now that there are clearly designated bike lanes, such as the one on Assiniboine, they are definitely getting used. I expect the same will be true with the ones in the Exchange District.

As the network grows, more people will use it. You can't just build one or two measly bike paths and expect to see hundreds of bikes on them all of a sudden.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Spending on bike lanes is completely over the top especially when you consider just how few actually use them, spending what they are for less than .0005% of the population that cycle commute is plain recklessness.
We don't build bridges over rivers because there are lots of people swimming across. We build them because we have a plan for them to be used.

Likewise, if we build cycling facilities that are safe and efficient, they will be used by more people, even if you don't see cyclists currently riding on that street.

Bike lanes are a good investment. They are much cheaper in the long run than roads for vehicles. Not saying we don't need road spending, because we do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan