HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 10:09 PM

RFP for the American Legion post at Grand and 7th.

With development marching west I hope to see that corner drastically improve over the next 10 years.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...y-project.html

Quote:
The city of Phoenix is preparing to release a request for proposals to redevelop the Luke-Greenway American Legion Post 1 on Seventh Avenue between Grand Avenue and Polk Street into multifamily housing.

Developers submitting plans for the site will be required to make 60% of the units workforce housing with a preference for veterans. As part of the project, 25 Veterans Affairs supportive housing vouchers will be provided for the site from the city’s housing department.

“It has been an American Legion site for 100 years, it has been a veterans site for 100 years,” said Christine Mackay, director, Phoenix Community and Economic Development. “It's important to the city that this showcases our veterans.”

The property was donated to the city in 1920 with a 100-year lease agreement to the American Legion. However, that 100-year lease is coming to an end, and the original lease did not have a provision for renewal, Mackay said.

The site is zoned for up to four stories, and is required to be mixed-income housing. The city is requiring there be 3,000 square feet on the site dedicated to veterans’ services. Mackay said the American Legion expressed a desire to have restaurant and retail uses nearby, so it is possible a developer could propose a mixed-use plan.

Mackay said the city will work through traffic issues on the site, but so far it has been determined to have good ingress and egress from the adjacent streets.

City Council is expected to discuss and possibly approve the release of the RFP in the next few weeks, and submissions will likely be due the before the end of the year, Mackay said.

The successful proposal will likely be before the council in fall 2020. Interested developers can sign up for notifications from the city about development requests for proposals at Phoenix.gov/EconDev and clicking on the “Hot List” button.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 10:16 PM
self-important urbanista

^There's been some noise that the building itself should be preserved. I don't see that as likely, though, since it's right in the middle of the land.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
^There's been some noise that the building itself should be preserved. I don't see that as likely, though, since it's right in the middle of the land.
And another example of saving something just because its old.

What is worth saving out of this building? it provides no architectural value and is a total waste of space.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 10:23 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
And another example of saving something just because its old.

What is worth saving out of this building? it provides no architectural value and is a total waste of space.
I'm inclined to agree with you, but here's an example of the arguments made in favor of preserving the building. Obviously, they have not changed the city's mind:

http://motleydesigngroup.com/wordpress1/2019/06/

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post
From the construction schedule, looking like March.
The dtphx development report says Punch Bowl Social is projected to open Fall 2019, for whatever it’s worth.

https://dtphx.org/wp-content/uploads...rt-Q3-2019.pdf

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsfan87 View Post
The dtphx development report says Punch Bowl Social is projected to open Fall 2019, for whatever it’s worth.

https://dtphx.org/wp-content/uploads...rt-Q3-2019.pdf
Walked by the Punch Bowl recently and had the chance to peer inside as the workers left the door open. It was completely empty, no walls or equipment. Not to dash anyone's expectations, but I don't think this place is opening this year.

On another note, in the DTPHX development report, I think this is our first rendering of 2nd Ave and Fillmore.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Walked by the Punch Bowl recently and had the chance to peer inside as the workers left the door open. It was completely empty, no walls or equipment. Not to dash anyone's expectations, but I don't think this place is opening this year.

On another note, in the DTPHX development report, I think this is our first rendering of 2nd Ave and Fillmore.
Plus another Derby sighting lol

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Plus another Derby sighting lol
I still believe, the fact that the Battery and The Filmore somehow came to fruition makes me hold out hope for our other long shots like Barrister, Palmcroft Tower and Derby

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
That’s a bummer!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:

And it looks great, this is supposed to be on the Oneil Printing lot yes?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 11:42 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
So is this set to get moving soon? Those condos are going to have some sweet views
No. It is a new zoning application. As a PUD it has to go twice to the VPC and then to the Planning Commission. It is not on the November agenda for the Encanto VPC, so that would place it on the December and January agendas. It wouldn't get to City Council until March I think.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
And it looks great, this is supposed to be on the Oneil Printing lot yes?
That’s correct, O’Neil is vacating and this will replace it. Will have that funky empty corner lot like Urban Connections across the street.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post
From the construction schedule, looking like March.
March 2020? From the articles from this past March it said Fall. Their website says 2020, dang, places miss out on a lot of business waiting til after football season. I was hoping Zips at Park Central would be open by now but they’re probably a couple months out.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 12:58 PM
self-important urbanista

A struggle over two-story houses on Maryland Avenue. The same developer's project at 3rd Street & Rose Lane has not impressed me due to way all the new houses are arranged on a cul-de-sac with their backs turned to Rose Lane. Nevertheless, the opponents lose credibility with silly statements like "I believe in keeping the neighborhood the way it is."

http://northcentralnews.net/2019/fea...k-development/

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:57 PM

Quote:
A struggle over two-story houses on Maryland Avenue. The same developer's project at 3rd Street & Rose Lane has not impressed me due to way all the new houses are arranged on a cul-de-sac with their backs turned to Rose Lane. Nevertheless, the opponents lose credibility with silly statements like "I believe in keeping the neighborhood the way it is."

"11 homes will exacerbate traffic"

Honestly who do people think they are? The very homes they live in were farms, orange groves and horse properties only 50 years ago.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 3:04 PM

Central and Thomas tower, Some info. This one has a long Time Table Construction might not start for nearly two years and they really have no idea what they want to do with it yet.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...per-plans.html

Quote:
Since the 1970s, billboard easements on the northwest corner of Central Avenue and Thomas Road have limited development possibilities on the otherwise vacant land.

But after reaching an agreement with Clear Channel Outdoor Holdings Inc., Phoenix-based developer Pederson Group Inc. is planning a mixed-use high-rise on the site.

“Midtown had been a stepchild to downtown Phoenix and 24th Street and Camelback,” said Jim Pederson, founder of Pederson Group. “But this is a very important intersection, and with what has gone on with the Park Central shopping center and the [Creighton] medical school, midtown is attracting attention.”

Pederson has owned the land since 2001. At the time, the land's price was attractive because of the billboard easements. At the time, Pederson was chairman of the Arizona Democratic Party, which needed a headquarters. The building on the site's northern portion still serves as the party’s base.
Now, it feels like the right time to develop the land, Pederson said, after the redevelopment of nearby Park Central Mall and with the Metro light rail station and bus stop nearby being among the city’s busiest.

The agreement with Clear Channel will move the billboards to the parking structure. The developer is requesting up to 350 feet in height for the building, which is consistent with nearby developments, Pederson said. That height could allow for between 15 and 18 stories.

“We are clearing the way for a nice, attractive high-rise development,” Pederson said.

Pederson hasn’t marketed the building to potential users yet and said the mix of uses is still to be determined. It will include ground-floor restaurants and retail, and the upper floors will either be office, apartments or a mix of the two. The project likely will be a joint venture for Pederson, which usually specializes in retail construction, and another developer specializing in high-rises.

“Ideally, I would like to see a major employer take up most of the building,” he said.

The project has received an approval recommendation from the Encanto Village Planning Committee and is scheduled to go before the Phoenix Planning Commission on Nov. 7. Pederson said the company will begin marketing the building to potential users in 2020, with construction expected to begin in 2021.

Several other intersections along Central also have billboard easements, which have made development difficult, but Pederson said his project could pave the way for incorporating both billboards and new development.

“Central is a very important street for Phoenix,” he said. “Hopefully we can be a pioneer for that.”

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 3:25 PM

I haven't laughed this hard at Jim Pederson since he tried to be a senator with those goofy tv ads lol

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 5:03 PM
Modulator

Quote:

I left this article at "exacerbate traffic, boost pollution and compromise the integrity of their neighborhood". Fifteen extra cars per day is really going to screw up the traffic flow and add a brown smog over the neighborhood. Aghast!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 5:05 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Central and Thomas tower, Some info. This one has a long Time Table Construction might not start for nearly two years and they really have no idea what they want to do with it yet.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...per-plans.html
I would be OK with a 2 year timeline if it meant there could be a chance they might increase the height to match more demand in a couple of years.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 9:50 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifice View Post
Yeah, apparently...
A spec office project in Midtown is crazy. Spec projects where they don't even know the use rarely get built. That area has high vacancies and there is no demand for office in Central Phoenix.

If an office development won't get leased and its vacancies cause problems for the city, drags down existing rents, is probably just an entitlement grab/landbank, and smells like overbuilding, I'm disinclined to support it.

Planning is called planning for a reason--it's not rubberstamping any crap that comes through. I don't think the project provides a good direction for the city.

It's interesting how my opinion is so offensive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest