HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 2:33 AM
Astorian

April 14th, 2011

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 4:52 AM

these are awesome shots.

as a side note (not about these photos specifically), I'm loving looking at the construction photos but it weirds me out completely that you never see "people" in them. If these are going to be a part of our actual, vibrant, city life, wouldn't you want to know who the people making it actually are, in general but also when they're making it, other than just "being part of the construction?" I would.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 6:08 AM
New Yorker for life

Looking solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlx2 View Post
I'm loving looking at the construction photos but it weirds me out completely that you never see "people" in them. If these are going to be a part of our actual, vibrant, city life, wouldn't you want to know who the people making it actually are, in general but also when they're making it, other than just "being part of the construction?" I would.

I don't know about all of that. It's like an ant hill. You never really see them getting built by ants. But they are there, and there's plenty of activity within. (Just step on one )

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 2:56 PM
BANNED

Wow, after a slow start, they're really picking up speed on my favorite new building in New York...God I hope that facade looks like the renderings.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
Wow, after a slow start, they're really picking up speed on my favorite new building in New York...God I hope that facade looks like the renderings.
are they picking up speed? that's good. from what I know, the renderings never even come close to matching the actual experience of being in the building.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 5:45 PM

How tall do you guys think the building is now?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 8:17 PM

Well, 145 w57th next door is 297ft to the roof, so it's not 300ft yet, that's for sure. It's definitely well past halfway up the building, though. I'd guess it's very near 200ft right now. It also appears to be on floor 15 of 73, so there's a long way to go here (considering it'll also be more than 5x taller).

Based on my photos, they were building formwork for the 7th floor on 2/17. That was exactly 8 weeks ago, and they're now about to pour 15, so they're at a floor a week. It will surely go faster as more setbacks happen.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 8:50 PM

April 15

Old Posted Apr 16, 2011, 1:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Everytime I see those streetwall photos, I think - that's the way it's done. I love it.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2011, 2:04 PM
JACKinBeantown

Nice updates, guys. And thanks for getting shots of the other side. It's all beginning to make sense now. I was actually nearby the other day but didn't have time to go down that block, so thanks for getting there for me.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 12:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Looking solid.

I don't know about all of that. It's like an ant hill. You never really see them getting built by ants. But they are there, and there's plenty of activity within. (Just step on one )
Nice quote.

BTW, how come that upper corner is bent slightly inwards?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 1:11 AM

Take a look at the render from that side of the base. You will see that as the facade reaches the upper floors it becomes rounded at the top. A design feature that can be seen throughout the rest of the tower.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 11:56 AM
don't *meddle*...

massive update by econ_tim, SSC, see here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1147 and here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1148

Last edited by hunser; Apr 17, 2011 at 4:03 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 2:46 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Again with the gorgeous streetwall. Gary Barnett said this will be a very unusual building, yet at the same time, it seems to be fitting in as if it belonged all the time.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 8:44 PM

I was just thinking the same thing. It's saying something when we need to invite French architects like Nouvel and Portzamparc to pay a proper homage to New York's famed streetwall, and show New Yorker architects like Kaufman how it's done. I guess New York's built environment has benefitted from French interventions at least since they shipped the Statue of Liberty across the ocean.

Long story short, I'm in love with that streetwall treatment.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 3:34 AM

While I absolutely agree that the street wall here is excellent, I think it's unfair to universally pan other work in NYC. RAMS street walls (especially 15CPW) are just sick. Going further, you might not like a building like 2Gold, but the street wall there is solid. Other smaller buildings, such as the Holiday Inn up the block on 57th St from this are excellent as well. Interestingly, some of the uglier buildings in the city (The Corner!!) have really solid street walls.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 3:50 PM

Monday morning, April 18

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
While I absolutely agree that the street wall here is excellent, I think it's unfair to universally pan other work in NYC. RAMS street walls (especially 15CPW) are just sick. Going further, you might not like a building like 2Gold, but the street wall there is solid. Other smaller buildings, such as the Holiday Inn up the block on 57th St from this are excellent as well. Interestingly, some of the uglier buildings in the city (The Corner!!) have really solid street walls.
True, but they have rather mundane, mediocre facades (aside from 15CPW, which is beautiful yet does not push the envelope of streetwall definition, sticking with a traditional, pre-war model instead). This one combines a great curtain wall with great streetwall treatment.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 8:06 PM

I think it's a little early to judge the curtain wallm though. The renderings are certainly snappy, but I think we'll need to see it in person. It's one of the reasons I left 4WTC off the list. I believe it will have an excellent street wall and curtain, but until it starts going up, I can't be sure. I think NYT before they took down the bars so people didn't climb it had an excellent street/curtain wall combo. BoA is a mixed bag.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 8:43 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ Again with the gorgeous streetwall. Gary Barnett said this will be a very unusual building, yet at the same time, it seems to be fitting in as if it belonged all the time.
Well of course hes going to say that. What is he going to do, slam his own building?

Anyway, my thoughts on the streetwall of this buildings is that there is one flaw, and thats the setback. Its too low in the context of the other buildings. I would have kept it flush (like every other building on the block) until you reached the top of the wall, then started to build in the setbacks. Its certainly not destroying the wall in any way, but it could have gone that just a little bit further. Such details are the difference between mediocre and good buildings, good buildings and great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive