HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Vista Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
NYC only has 20 cranes? That seems... low
That sounds about right. A lot of the smaller 20-floor residential buildings in NYC are built without the use of a tower crane. Because its cheaper and a lot of those floor plates are extremely small + the only thing they really need to lift is rebar/wood which is easily accomplished with the use of a street crane or a spider crane (Google it, they're cool). They only really need a crane one day out of the week.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie77 View Post
I think Vista is going to pull a Houdini on the skyline!
I was thinking the same bro

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 10:46 PM

20 cranes in NY? Whatever they are smoking, I want some.

There's way more. I know, because I was just in the city today. More than 20 in Manhattan alone. Problem is, I doubt these authors take the time to walk the streets. There's a lot of smaller projects not known, in the 300-400 ft range that have cranes. In Midtown alone, they tend to not be noticed as 300-400 ft nada and you'll see them tucked in via the cross town streets, where the surrounding towers are 500-650 ft. The Bronx is also a hotspot as well. Again, lesser known projects unless you follow them or know about them.

If we are talking 20 cranes, over all 300 sq miles of the city, that list is full of crap.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
20 cranes in NY? Whatever they are smoking, I want some.

There's way more. I know, because I was just in the city today. More than 20 in Manhattan alone. Problem is, I doubt these authors take the time to walk the streets. There's a lot of smaller projects not known, in the 300-400 ft range that have cranes. In Midtown alone, they tend to not be noticed as 300-400 ft nada and you'll see them tucked in via the cross town streets, where the surrounding towers are 500-650 ft. The Bronx is also a hotspot as well. Again, lesser known projects unless you follow them or know about them.

If we are talking 20 cranes, over all 300 sq miles of the city, that list is full of crap.
If I recall I think that list goes off of permits filed so far in the year (+ the cranes in the air at the start of the year? Not 100% tho). Because in July Chicago didn't have 40 tower cranes in the air (only 21 or 22). 20 still seems low for NYC though.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 11:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

the fact that the SSP database lists 91 buildings >300' currently U/C in NYC (and that is likely a big under-count), the notion that there are only 20 tower cranes currently in the skies of NYC is ludicrously low.

whatever methodology that "study" is using, the results don't come anywhere even remotely close to passing the sniff test.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
the fact that the SSP database lists 91 buildings >300' currently U/C in NYC (and that is likely a big under-count), the notion that there are only 20 tower cranes currently in the skies of NYC is ludicrously low.

whatever methodology that "study" is using, the results don't come anywhere even remotely close to passing the sniff test.
Yep, no way that is possible

Old Posted Today, 1:03 AM

Really enjoying this general discussion thread. Not sure why its under Vista Tower though

Old Posted Today, 1:05 AM

Economics isn't for everyone I guess

Last edited by Donnie77; Today at 1:15 AM. Reason: Edit

Old Posted Today, 7:18 AM

11/07/18

11/13/18

11/14/18

11/16/18

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction