HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 8:12 PM

Cool Texaco Building

I went by the Texaco Building, believe it's 1031 Canal, and the renovation is well underway. Looks like the entire building is gutted. Are there any renderings or discription of what they're converting the building into?

Also saw construction just notheast of I-610 at Wisner. What might that be?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Here's the summary of the VCC goal with lights (and it makes sense to me):

The current lights are NOT historically accurate. They use an inappropriate type bulb (wrong type of light to be accurate enough) that is too bright (think of sterile halogens in an office) and the bulbs require that the tops of the fixture be closed in with metal in order to house the electrical stuff.

This creates a very bright light in the immediate area around the light and doesn't allow the light to project upward and outward. So it essentially creates a sharp contrast of cone shaped light in the immediate area around and below each lamp. When you turn a corner, for instance, the light immediately disappears and you are left in the dark and thus an easy target of crime.

What is more accurate and overall better on many levels (safety, accuracy, and architecturally illuminating the buildings) would be a more natural, softer light where the tops of the fixtures would be glass which produces a light that "bounces" around more easily off the buildings and thus creates one nice, soft glow throughout the quarter and eliminates the feeling of "i'm under a light, good, to oh no there's no light let me run to the next light post to feel safe."

I hope that makes sense...i'm no architect or electrician...but it makes enough sense to me. Seems win-win for everyone.
It makes great sense to me.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
I went by the Texaco Building, believe it's 1031 Canal, and the renovation is well underway. Looks like the entire building is gutted. Are there any renderings or discription of what they're converting the building into?

1031 Canal is the old Woolworths Bluilding. The old Texaco bldg is to become Seniors Apartments. Can't tell what's going up at Wisner an 610, I'm not sure.
Does anyone know the status of 1031 Canal, South Market and The Rault Center? Anymore news on these?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post

The huge mounds of dirt is the new McDonogh 35 High School site. It does seem like something is going on closer to the interstate by the Youth Center but not sure what.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 9:26 AM
TL;DR

Any claim VCC has to "historically accurate" lighting is kind of a joke. Historically accurate? For what time period? It's also historically accurate to have no light at all. Gas lighting wasn't around until the 1830s or so, 120 years after the Quarter was settled.

I mean, the VCC guidelines make sense but they don't necessarily jive with "accuracy". I'd encourage uplighting, actually. The brightness of vertical surfaces (walls, facades) is just as important as the brightness of the ground, psychologically. They do uplighting very well in Rome, for example.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 5:28 PM

GREAT News from Business Insider....... NOLA is #1 in a list of 11 US cities with the best recoveries:

http://www.businessinsider.com/brook...s-louisiana-11

Last edited by NOLAforME; Dec 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Any claim VCC has to "historically accurate" lighting is kind of a joke. Historically accurate? For what time period? It's also historically accurate to have no light at all. Gas lighting wasn't around until the 1830s or so, 120 years after the Quarter was settled.

I mean, the VCC guidelines make sense but they don't necessarily jive with "accuracy". I'd encourage uplighting, actually. The brightness of vertical surfaces (walls, facades) is just as important as the brightness of the ground, psychologically. They do uplighting very well in Rome, for example.
I can't remember the exact date, but i think the cast iron lamp post were installed in the late 1920's or early 1930's and the type of lighting (bulb) was retrofitted in the late 1980's to a brighter fixture. If the VCC wants to keep things so historically accurate it should be more careful with the removal of original doors and windows, shutters etc. Some doors look like they were repaced with something from Home Depot. Proportioning on some 1960's Quarter buildings look like strip shopping centers in Baton Rouge, their ill-proportioned design has no harmony in design to the original colonial buildings. Appropriate lighting should be a VCC concern, not so much what the VCC considers "historic"....that just doesn't exist anymore. Soft uplighting would really enhance the experience of walking through the Quarter at night. The people on this fourm have great ideas that just need the attention of people that have the ability to do something about these issues.

Last edited by NOLAforME; Dec 23, 2012 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 5:03 PM

More good news and publicity for the Cresent City.......

http://travel.yahoo.com/photos/most-...924417423.html

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 4:34 AM

Why not use the World Trade Center as city hall? It'd be awesome in my opinion. Although overall it's more of a win win to make charity hospital city hall, and sell wtc and old city hall to developers.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 8:34 AM
TL;DR

For that exact reason. City government doesn't need river views, but developers will pay greatly for the views. I hope for the WTC site the city leases instead of sells the site. It's too important to sell outright.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 6:42 PM
-

Im open to either way. I just want to see it developed and for the whole area to be better integrated pedestrian wise so that its an easy flow from canal to the riverwalk.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 6:31 PM
-

Design-Build Services For The Sidney N. Collier Campus New Orleans

Project Type Building Use Status
New Construction
Site Work Educational Conceptual
Sector Bid Date Est. Start Date
Public Tuesday, January 15, 2013 Wednesday, January 15, 2014
Estimated Value*
$1,000,000.00
Address
3727 Louisa St.
New Orleans, LA 70126
Orleans County
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA Region

A very informative article about the Civic Theatre Reopening:

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blog...n-january-2013

Crescent Park Photos:

New Orleans East Hospital:

New Website for Little Gem Saloon on Poydras:

http://www.littlegemsaloon.com/

New 3 Section Elementary School at Fisk-Howard School

New Construction
Site Work Educational GC Bidding
Sector Bid Date Est. Start Date
Public Wednesday, January 30, 2013 Friday, March 1, 2013
Estimated Value* Solicitation #
$3,000,000.00 678PUR-2011-0882-0001
Address
211 S Lopez St.
New Orleans, LA 70119
Orleans County

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 11:32 PM

Second picture of the Crescent Park-edit (4th picture)

What's with the guy's legs? I'm pretty sure those aren't prosthetic, so why doctor the picture?

Last edited by Chris from N.O.; Dec 27, 2012 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 12:06 AM
Ex Houstonian

It looks like a panorama where photos were stitched together so his legs probably got squished in the process.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 12:18 AM

Nike to Build Three New Sports Facilities in N.O.

We know the work going on at Joe Brown Park in N.O. East, but I came across this video and I'm not sure if it was previously shared. Looks sweet!!

http://www.neworleanseast.com/victory_field...at_Joe_Brown_Park

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 4:16 AM
TL;DR

That looks kick-ass, even by my high standards, lol.

I hope Nike and the city have worked out a way to keep this facility maintained. I'd hate to see this thing disintegrate in a few years like so many other public buildings and parks.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
That looks kick-ass, even by my high standards, lol.

I hope Nike and the city have worked out a way to keep this facility maintained. I'd hate to see this thing disintegrate in a few years like so many other public buildings and parks.
With all of the talk 2 years ago of expanding NORD, it's slated for a big cut (I think 50%) this time around. I, too, hope we can maintain a better rec system- that project does indeed look awesome.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 9:45 PM
-

items on the bza agenda:

ITEM 8 – Docket Number: 259-12 DS
Applicant or Agent: Charles Richard
Property Location: 1016 North Broad Street Zip: 70119
Bounding Streets: N. Broad St., Ursulines Ave., N. Dorgenois St., & St. Philip St.
Square Number: 342 Lot: 4-E-1
Zoning District: B-1 Neighborhood Business
Historic District: N/A ZBM: C-13
Existing Use: Warehouse Planning District: 4
Proposed Use: Catering Facility
Request Citation: This request is for a variance from the provisions of Article 15, Section 15.2.1 (Table 15.A) of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
Request:
This request is to permit the conversion of an existing warehouse to a catering facility and delicatessen with insufficient off-street parking.
Requested Waiver:
Section 15.2.1 (Table 15.A) – Off-Street Parking
Required: 24 Spaces Proposed: 0 Spaces (4 Grandfathered) Waiver: 20 Spaces

ITEM 7 – Docket Number: 256-12 MDO
Applicant or Agent: Canal Street Development Corporation
Property Location: 810 Bienville Street Zip: 70130
Bounding Streets: Iberville St., Dauphine St., Bienville St., & Bourbon St.
Square Number: 68 Lot: CSDC-2
Zoning District: VCC-2 Vieux Carré Commercial ZBM: D-14
Historic District: Vieux Carré Local Historic Planning District: 1a
Existing Use: Mixed-Use Residential/Commercial
Proposed Use: Mixed-Use Residential/Commercial
Request Citation: This request is for a variance from the provisions of Article 8, Section 8.5.7 (Table 8.D) of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
Request:
This request is to permit the renovation of a multi-family residence with an increase in the number of residential units from eighty-seven (87) to ninety-seven (97) units with insufficient minimum lot area per dwelling unit.
Requested Waiver:
Section 8.5.7 (Table 8.D) – Minimum Lot Area
Required: 58,200 sq. ft. Provided: 36,348 sq. ft. Waiver: 21,852 sq. ft.

ITEM 11 – Docket Number: 001-13 KC
Applicant or Agent: Peter M. Trapolin
Property Location: 850 – 860 Tchoupitoulas Street Zip: 70130
Bounding Streets: Tchoupitoulas, Julia, St. Joseph, & Commerce Sts.
Square Number: 55 Lots: 10, 11, & 12
Zoning District: CBD-8 Central Business District ZBM: C-14
Historic District: None Planning District: 1a
Existing Use: Vacant warehouse
Proposed Use: Retail and Office
Request Citation: This request is for variances from the provisions of Article 15, Section 15.2.7 (Table 15.C) and Article 15, Section 15.3.1 (Table 15.G) of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
Request:
This request is to permit the conversion of a vacant warehouse to retail and office with insufficient off-street parking and off-street loading spaces.
Requested Waiver:
Section 15.2.7 (Table 15.C) – Off-Street Parking
Required: 15 Spaces Provided: 0 Spaces Waiver: 15 Spaces
Section 15.3.1 (Table 15.G) – Off-Street Loading
Required: 2 Spaces Provided: 0 Spaces Waiver: 2 Spaces

ITEM 12 – Docket Number: 002-13 DIS
Applicant or Agent: Shelia M. Dixon
Property Location: 2753 Iberville Street Zip: 70119
Bounding Streets: Iberville, N. White, Bienville, & N. Broad Sts.
Square Number: 363 Lot: 30
Zoning District: RO-1 General Office ZBM: C-13
Historic District: None Planning District: 4
Existing Use: Vacant Single-Family Residence
Proposed Use: Office
Request Citation: This request is for a variances from the provisions of Article 15, Section 15.2.1 (Table 15.A) of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
Request:
This request is to permit the conversion of a single-family residence into an office with insufficient off-street parking.
Requested Waiver:
Section 15.2.1 (Table 15.A) – Off-Street Parking
Required: 6 Spaces Provided: 1 Space (Grandfathered) Waiver: 5 Spaces

ITEM 21 – Docket Number: 011-13 DG
Applicant or Agent: French Quarter Apartments L.P.
Property Location: 939 Iberville Street Zip: 70112
Bounding Streets: Iberville, Dauphine, Bienville, & Burgundy Sts.
Square Number: 93 Lot: Parcels I, II, III
Zoning District: VCC-2 Vieux Carré Commercial ZBM: C-14
Historic District: Vieux Carré Planning District: 1a
Existing Use: Vacant Building
Proposed Use: Multi-Family Residence (87 units)
Request Citation: This request is for a variance from the provisions of Article 8, Section 8.5.7 (Table 8.D) of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
Request:
This request is to permit the conversion of a vacant building into a multi-family residence on a lot with insufficient minimum lot area.
Requested Waivers:
Section 8.5.7 (Table 8.D) – Minimum Lot Area (Four or More Family)
Required: 600 per dwelling unit (52,200 sq. ft.)
Provided: 46,732 sq. ft.
Waiver: 5,468 sq. ft.

Nice to see this long vacant warehouse behind the Ritz Carlton get converted:

http://qpublic6.qpublic.net/qpmap4/m...ls+roads+lakes

URGENT CARE CENTER

Renovation Medical
Military Design
Sector Est. Start Date
Public Saturday, May 4, 2013
Estimated Value* Square Footage Solicitation #
$5,000,000.00 8000 VA25612R0456
Address
1555 Poydras St.
New Orleans, LA 70114
Orleans County
Description
Services to upgrade the Urgent Care Center, New Orleans, LA for the renovation of an 8,000 square foot clinic to include utility systems and related infrastructure, refurbishment of interior space and finishes, and full operation for patient services and support functions. Work includes, but is not limited to: refurbishment of all wall, floor, and ceiling finishes, repair and painting of exterior finish, general replacement of HVAC, roof, Mechanical, Electrical, Telecommunications, and Fire Protection Systems modifications as necessary.

The estimated construction cost range is between $1,000,000.00 and $5,000,000.00.

Charcoal's Gourmet Burger is coming along:

Some new Freret Street Openings in the next month:

Liberty Cheesesteak will open in the former Dat Dog (photo from Google Maps)

The Thibodeaux School of Music is opening up at 2436 Valance St. It will offer private lessons in all musical instruments for all ages. They will also offer the Kindermusik program for the young musicians.

The New Orleans Counseling Center is open at 2503 Upperline St. The center provides counseling to adults and specializes in issues relating to anxiety, trauma, personal growth and depth psychology. Founder Thomas Fewer already lived in the neighborhood and decided to open shop there as well.

“I always wanted to be a part of the neighborhood, to live and work and contribute to the growth,” he said.

At the corner of Freret Street and Napoleon Avenue, Tolar Family Dentistry is opening in a new office constructed on a once-vacant lot. They are a full-service dentist and currently taking new clients.

http://uptownmessenger.com/2012/12/p...freret-street/

LACASSINE— There's a huge new distillery around the corner. Louisiana Spirits is set to open this spring, reports Todd A. Price. The distillery will start making test batches of rum in February, and should announce its brand name and distributor by mid-January. [NOLA.com]

Hotel Modern Plans for New Restaurant, Tivoli & Lee
The former Tamarind space in the Hotel Modern, which is now a farm-to-table themed pop up Why Not, will become a full fledged restaurant again this spring. According to Susan Langenhennig, James Stuart, the creative director of the Hotel Modern is partnering with chef Mike Nirenberg, formerly of Oak, Patois and The Delachaise, to open a full time farm-to-table bistro Tivoli & Lee, hopefully by Mardi Gras.

The restaurant's name is a nod to Lee Circle, which was known as Tivoli Circle before the 1880s, when ye ole bronze General monument was erected in true ain't that America fashion, replacing the Tivoli Carousel. The 70-seat restaurant will also pay homage to the circle's history via its decor, with Flavor Paper adorning the walls, featuring local icons riding carousel horses. The dining room is getting a hipster-upgrade from design consultant Blake Haney, founder of Dirty Coast and Canary Collective, with the plans aiming for a retro look and what Langenhennig describes as a "contemporary cool factor."

http://nola.eater.com/index.php?page=2

UPTOWN— ManhattanJack, the bakery and coffee shop coming to Prytania's hot zone near St. James, Kyoto, Creole Creamery, La Crepe Nanou, La Thai and Upperline, will now be opening in January. The duo behind the shop, Jack Petronella and Coleman Jernigan, were hoping to open by Christmas, but are still busy with renovations. [NOLA.com]

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 12:53 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
ITEM 21 – Docket Number: 011-13 DG
Applicant or Agent: French Quarter Apartments L.P.
Property Location: 939 Iberville Street Zip: 70112
Bounding Streets: Iberville, Dauphine, Bienville, & Burgundy Sts.
Square Number: 93 Lot: Parcels I, II, III
Zoning District: VCC-2 Vieux Carré Commercial ZBM: C-14
Historic District: Vieux Carré Planning District: 1a
Existing Use: Vacant Building
Proposed Use: Multi-Family Residence (87 units)
Request:
This request is to permit the conversion of a vacant building into a multi-family residence on a lot with insufficient minimum lot area.
Requested Waivers:
Section 8.5.7 (Table 8.D) – Minimum Lot Area (Four or More Family)
Required: 600 per dwelling unit (52,200 sq. ft.)
Provided: 46,732 sq. ft.
Waiver: 5,468 sq. ft.

Nice to see this long vacant warehouse behind the Ritz Carlton get converted:
This is indeed cool; the old Maison Blanche warehouse. Between this and 1031 Canal, this corner of the Quarter should come alive all the way up to Rampart. I hope they keep the little Bridge of Sighs over Iberville St. The original steel windows should be restored, too.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 7:20 PM
-

btw I may have forgotten to mention that 750 St Charles Avenue is being renovated by Aunt Sallies Pralines. It will become a retail store for them and a manufacturing facility! Also, On Carondelet a new retail space just opened in front part of a garage called Buff( a beauty bar).

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&su...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAA

Allso the gas station at lee circle that has been vacant finally sold. A non profit is going to be building there. And le chat noir sold and will become a new restaurant!

Also the city is seeking bids for trashcans that are solar operated:

Background: The City of New Orleans, in conjunction with the Regional Transit Authority and
other partners, seeks to implement the use of 392 solar powered compaction litter and recycling
collection units in their areas of high pedestrian traffic, the French Quarter, the Downtown
Development District (242) and major transit stops (1 50).
We believe that it is time to provide an alternative, improved process related to public litter can
maintenance and public recycling. The initiation of this program will result in significant costsavings
for the City of New Orleans that can be re-invested in ongoing projects that benefit our
community. It will be a vital contribution to building a sustainable and thriving New Orleans.
CITY OF NEW ORLEANS
INVITATION TO BID
We have over 1,000 public litter cans in the City of New Orleans and 772 of these litter cans are in
the French Quarter (385) and the DDD (387). Due to the number of special events in the City and
the volume of locals and tourists that attend these events, it is an increasing challenge to
constantly empty litter cans multiple times during a seven day period.

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations