HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_Ottawa View Post
I've been watching the site for a couple of months, where workers are clearly doing some sort of demolition and/or construction. Today, I spoke to one of the workers about what they are doing and apparently, the plans have changed; the building is not being demolished but is being refurbished and will once again be a hotel...this time, a Holiday Inn!
Full service? Please let it be...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 9:21 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Thread title should probably be changed ...

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Non-re...te-in-Ottawa/1

Quote:
Hilton-branded hotels planned for Morguard’s Queen Street site in Ottawa

Real estate developer Morguard has scrapped its original plan to build a new hotel and apartment complex at 361 Queen St. and is now proposing to redevelop the two existing towers on the site into a pair of lodgings under the Hilton brand.

The new plan for the 1.85-acre site of the former National Hotel & Suites calls for the taller 17-storey high-rise to be converted into a 173-room extended-stay facility under the Homewood Suites by Hilton banner. The smaller 10-storey building will become a Hilton Garden Inn with 171 units providing short-stay accommodations.

The interior of both structures will be gutted down to their concrete shells and totally renovated. The exterior of the 1970s-era buildings – which have sat empty for almost three years – will also get an extensive makeover, with much of the existing brick being replaced with glass windows and balconies.

A number of new amenities, including 4,500 square feet of conference space, a bar, restaurant, pool and fitness facility, will also be part of the complex. The lobby of the adjoining office building at 350 Sparks St. will also be redeveloped, and new retail space will be added on the ground floor.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 2:09 AM

Mixed feelings on this one. Too bad they didn't figure this out a few years ago to have it ready for 2017.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 11:47 PM

Terrible. Terrible. Terrible.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 12:59 AM

This is disappointing- while the refurb. doesn't look bad, it will just mean this property wont be redeveloped on a larger scale for decade or more. I presume.
And having some modern towers with more height at this location would have been a major step towards the future core that is developing around Lyon.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 1:44 AM

Well this is a huge disappointment..

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 2:35 PM

The only thing missing on this ugly mess is a clock on the top so we could have our very own clockzila.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 2:43 PM

The design doesn't look so bad to me given that it's a hotel but I'm sorely disappointed that they're not going to put any extra height on this project. If any intersection can justify ambitious attempts to alter the zoning above 30 storeys, it's this intersection. It wouldn't interfere with any of the NCC's precious view planes and it would be great TOD.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 5:25 AM
Mr president

So,are the two tower proposed now cancelled ?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigue8 View Post
So,are the two tower proposed now cancelled ?
Yes. The previous project was dropped in favour of this cheaper, easier alternative.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 2:50 AM
Mr president

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Yes. The previous project was dropped in favour of this cheaper, easier alternative.
It's very sad to lose a great building for a standard boring building .
This is Ottawa !
There is so little outstanding building proposed here.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigue8 View Post
It's very sad to lose a great building for a standard boring building .
This is Ottawa !
There is so little outstanding building proposed here.
There are plenty of outstanding buildings proposed here, there aren't many that are built. FTFY.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 3:32 PM

Article from Urbsite. Few more pictures of the existing and renders of the facelift on the website.

AN IAN JOHNS FACELIFT: THE NEW SKIN INN

Nostalgicists for the haute-1970s style should have been heartened to learn that the holding company which has owned the former Inn of the Provinces has halted its plans to demolish the building. Recent inspections of the relatively delicate deconstruction that is now taking place here might be further encouraging. Maybe a respectful resurrection of this earth-tone beauty? I needed to find out for myself and discovered a number of computer-generated drawings set up on easels about the abandoned hotel's through-block lobby atrium.

A Bill Teron/Urbanetics by chief designer Ian Johns venture, this chocolate brown brick cluster was seen as a more humane antidote to the thrusting soulless cliff presented by Robert Campeau's Tower 'C' at Place de Ville. Sawtooth edges, cutaway corners and sheltered open spaces broke up the mass with a thoughtfully composed series of sliding diagonals.

It was the city's first development to undertake wind impact studies using scale models set up in the NRC's wind tunnel at the Ottawa International Airport, and the Inn's inset balconies were part of the resulting analysis. The hotel's shorter wing at the left along Bay Street was added later.

The developers had wanted to fill out the southern block with a second office tower next to their Park Square condominiums, hence its blank rear walls. This was rejected by the City of Ottawa which wanted to see residential development here. Just as well because it was intended to be an L-shaped version of the complex's monotonously horizontal office building.

The demolition would have preceded this mixed use development - two chunky towers for an office, condo, hotel by WZMH Architects. A last-minute intervention for a serious heritage assessment from Sarah Jennings, the wife of the Inn of the Provinces designer Ian Johns came too late. The City of Ottawa had already approved the project. For various reasons (demolition of the Inn would have been prohibitively expensive and there was apparently some difficulty in finding a contractor who would take on the job) the city was spared yet another anodyne addition to the skyline.

The Inn of the Provinces first tower opened in August 1975. It was a hostelry unlike any other in Ottawa. Not only did each suite have a sheltered balcony but 'Every unit in the 188-room hotel has its own fully equipped kitchen. The operation is designed mainly for the long-stay businessman, and it's expensive. One bedroom suites will go for about $36 a day. There are smaller and less expensive units.' (Ottawa Journal, August 18, 1975). Within a year of its launch Urbanetics sold the Inn's operations to Delta Hotels of Vancouver B.C.

[/CENTER]

The Hilton Garden Inn and Homewood Suites is aimed at a slightly more value-for-money traveller. The retrofit's design is credited to Chamberlain Architects|Contractors|Managers, a GTA based architectural services corporation whose motto is 'Beauty Is Not Just Brick Deep'. Which is apt because they're not using any and they plan to cover up a lot of bricks.

It had been a mecca for 70s swingers. Le Quadrille, the entertainment lounge featured a 36-foot long dimensional wall sculpture of habitants dancers by Quebec wood carver Julien Bourgault , a revolving stage, and a DJ booth for disco nights. In the La Provincial dining room each table was cocooned by high-backed banquettes for maximum discretion. The lobby bar was famous for three-martini lunches and other assignations. After three decades or so Delta sold the hotel. It changed ownership a few more times, going ever more downmarket ending up as the National Hotel which closed two years ago. Their official colour was royal blue.

Delta's Inn of the Provinces wood-wrapped porte-cochere on Queen Street - the scene of a hotel workers' strike in 1981 (Photo: LAC)

It's being dismantled as balcony doors and windows are being removed from the hotel rooms above.

To give it a little more prestige the hotel's municipal address is on Sparks Street, but it was for pedestrians only because of the plans for extending the car-free Sparks Street westward to the Garden of the Provinces. The hotel's name would seem to be a no-brainer, but as they had done at their previous Carleton Towers on Albert Street Urbanetics struck a special committee.

The horizontal contours of the office tower and the hotel's podium will get wrapped in white cladding. Incidentally Morguard has had a relationship with the Inn and its successors for over 40 years. They bought the property in 1976 as the hotel operations were being transferred to Delta.

What's lost in the Hilton/Morguard retrofit is the dense texture formed by the intersection of brick piers - the angled tips of the building's projecting triangles and the precast balcony panels.

Perhaps the architects|contractors|managers were seeking the maximum contrast of colour and finish, but it's an uneasy marriage. Is this a 'It could have been worse' story? Certainly not friendly towards the aesthetics of Urbanetics.

The recessed 'V' terraces will be filled in, glazed, and made flush with the building wall. The original layouts made for oddly-shaped rooms which the new operator probably needs to straighten them out in order to make the suites larger, brighter and less eccentric. And balconies are likely a maintenance and security issue.

In designing their 1978-79 addition (Reno Negren, with Leonard Koffman Architect) Delta Hotels opted for a more practical floor plan, although there was a slight tip of the hat to the zig zag edge on the top floor rooms.

The two separate towers will allow Hilton two offer two types of accommodation. The Bay Street wing with standard hotel rooms will become the Garden Inn and the original tower's self-contained efficiencies the Homewood Suites.

In 1977 the Ottawa Society of Architects and the Federation of Citizens' Associations partnered to establish the Built Environment Awards for the area's 'finest visual turn-ons'. Urbanetics' celebrated Chief of Design Ian Johns was recognized for his work on the Inn of the Provinces which won praise 'for the way the hotel fits in between highrise office buildings and a residential area'. It was hoped to be the first of annual OSA/FCA awards, but the event was never repeated. This summer Mr. Johns returned to Ottawa from Boston, where he now lives, to receive the FCA's Builders Award in recognition of the high calibre of his architectural designs. (Centretown Buzz, July 2017 and Ottawa Journal, September 12, 1977)

http://urbsite.blogspot.ca/2017/08/a...-skin-inn.html

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 7:07 PM

^ Hmmm cool story, thanks for posting!

I forgot about this and wasn't too sure if work was ongoing or not as I don't pass by this part of downtown very often.

I have to agree though, I'm kind of happy something is being done with the property but the new renders don't look all that good or amazing either. I give it a B- when the status-quo with the bricks might've been a C.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 2:16 AM

I wonder if this will be a new trend... half updating buildings. 'Let's just bring this one up to sayyyyy....1990. Yeah we'll stop there!'

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 3:38 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Fugly as hell.....I enjoy the tower design as it was originally..though the podium suffers heavily and could use an update.

The architecture of the original building is pretty unique....with the floorplate and how the units are shaped...to me it's relatively redundant to "update" this bilding by straightening out the more creative part of the main tower. I feel like this update is just suburbanizing the hotel almost...at least in terms of design.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 9:25 PM

I live right by this building, and the street-level, especially along Bay, could use an overhaul.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 12:32 AM
Bulid Up, Not Out

I liked this complex just the way it was.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 11:28 PM

Even with the refurbished facade, it still looks very dated. The proposal to build new towers was so much better than this. I am okay to have older building repurposed / renovated / refurbished if they could come up with better looking designs.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 12:45 PM

These buildings are pretty unique as it. Just updating the podium and interior would have sufficed and saved millions, millions that could have been used to plug into Lyon Station.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa