HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Soho Champagne in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 1:50 PM
Kickass User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-rise View Post
The second building (Envie) is a condo for investors, but is fully targeted at students. One-third sold already, apparently. It's supposed to be ready by Spring 2018.
Just to clarify... The building next to SOHO that is being constructed (Envie) is not available for purchase - they are holding it for themselves. The third building (Capital Hall) is currently being sold to investors - is currently about 50% sold out. Both are student focused rental buildings.

www.MattRichling.com
www.NewPurveyors.com

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 10:57 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRichling View Post
Just to clarify... The building next to SOHO that is being constructed (Envie) is not available for purchase - they are holding it for themselves. The third building (Capital Hall) is currently being sold to investors - is currently about 50% sold out. Both are student focused rental buildings.
Yes, that's quite correct; I had them transposed in my mind for some reason. Clearly, I must learn to post less frequently I was in there about three weeks ago when the agent said they were 1/3 sold, so they must be a fair bit of investor demand from somewhere......

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 12:16 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

'It's belligerent to proceed with this': Little Italy condo site could become lot for luxury vehicles

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: January 12, 2017 | Last Updated: January 12, 2017 4:05 PM EST

A developer wants to allow luxury vehicles from a dealership to be parked at the site of a future condo in Little Italy, leaving some neighbours and the area councillor fuming.

“I think it’s belligerent to proceed with this,” Kitchissippi Coun. Jeff Leiper said Thursday.

Mastercraft Starwood’s application to temporarily use its Phase 2 site at SoHo Champagne for car storage is related to Ottawa’s soft condo market. The company isn’t ready to build the second part of the condo complex at 115 Champagne Ave. S. and there’s an opportunity to use the land for another business purpose.

Dozens of BMWs are already parked at the site, even though the application hasn’t yet gone before the city’s committee of adjustment. The vehicles are from the Otto’s BMW temporary sales centre around the corner on Carling Avenue, near Preston Street.

Mastercraft Starwood is asking the city for permission to have “outdoor storage” at the Phase 2 site, which is also occupied by a sales centre. The company expects 62 dealership vehicles would be at the site.

Gary Davis, who lives in the condo building across from the SoHo Champagne property, said car storage shouldn’t be allowed, especially next to a pedestrian overpass. The overpass at the end of Hickory Street, which intersects with Champagne Avenue, spans the Trillium Line.

“It’s just inconsistent with the residential nature of the neighbourhood,” Davis said.

But Shauna Pettit, accounting manager at Mastercraft Starwood, said there are more land uses than just residential in the community.

“The big thing in this area is it’s a mixed-use area,” Pettit said. “We already have retail. We already have office. We already have apartment buildings that have surface parking lots.”

There’s also a large parking lot south of SoHo Champagne that is used by the Ottawa Hospital Civic campus, she added.

“With that property also, you have cars going in and out of the parking lot constantly and you have a bus that travels down the street, so I don’t think we would be adding any more traffic to that, if that’s what their concern is,” Pettit said.

Pettit said the BMW parking would only be for two or three years until Mastercraft Starwood can start constructing the second phase of SoHo Champagne. It also depends on how long the BMW dealership wants to lease the space for parking, she said.

Leiper said city council, via the planning committee, should be hearing the application since it would be a significant change in land use. The committee of adjustment, a tribunal made up of citizens, usually deals with minor planning matters. He expects an argument over jurisdiction at the committee next week.

“The zoning prohibits parking lots because that’s how we don’t want the city to evolve,” Leiper said.

He wants the developer to live up to a plan to landscape the property if construction isn’t a short-term possibility.

Davis said he’s sympathetic to the changing market conditions for condos, but he believes transforming a residential property into a car lot hurts the area.

“That’s the risk you take in business and you can’t do that at the expense of the neighbourhood,” Davis said.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...uxury-vehicles

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 12:54 AM

"Belligerent"?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 6:19 AM

If they are so far from building Champagne phase II I guess Italia is wayyyy back on the back burner. It's funny that Italia was the original 'New Tallest' in Ottawa.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
If they are so far from building Champagne phase II I guess Italia is wayyyy back on the back burner. It's funny that Italia was the original 'New Tallest' in Ottawa.
What was it, a meter taller than Place de Ville C? Times have changed!!

As for the BMW parking, what do they prefer, public parking with crappy cars coming in and out, or BMWs just parked there. I mean, come on!!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
What was it, a meter taller than Place de Ville C? Times have changed!!

As for the BMW parking, what do they prefer, public parking with crappy cars coming in and out, or BMWs just parked there. I mean, come on!!
That's not actually in play, is it? I thought the lot was just to remain vacant.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
That's not actually in play, is it? I thought the lot was just to remain vacant.
Or just have them sod it as a temporary park was was required next door at Envie during their phasing, and Richcraft on Rideau Street.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Actually I took a tour of this condo on the weekend with a friend who is looking to buy. They are going to be launching Soho Italia soon, before Champagne Phase 2. The sales associate was under the impression that phase 2 will not be happening in the next 10 years.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post
Actually I took a tour of this condo on the weekend with a friend who is looking to buy. They are going to be launching Soho Italia soon, before Champagne Phase 2. The sales associate was under the impression that phase 2 will not be happening in the next 10 years.
All the more reason to not allow this "temporary" solution.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 8:49 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

I don't see what the fuss is about. This measure would be temporary by definition seeing as how the dealership's operations at that location are temporary (while the Hunt Club facility undergoes expansion).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
I don't see what the fuss is about. This measure would be temporary by definition seeing as how the dealership's operations at that location are temporary (while the Hunt Club facility undergoes expansion).
Perhaps, but if Starwood Mastercraft is expecting no construction for 10 years, one could easily imagine a new temporary dealership in the same facility, with the same temporary parking lot ask for a decade.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 12:49 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Committee holds off deciding on BMW parking lot at Little Italy condo site

Published on: January 18, 2017 | Last Updated: January 18, 2017 4:39 PM EST

The city’s committee of adjustment needs time to decide if a developer should be allowed to store BMWs at a future condo site in Little Italy.

Mastercraft Starwood wants to let the second-phase site of its SoHo Champagne development in Little Italy to be used as a parking lot for three years while it waits for the condo market to improve. The property is at 115 Champagne Ave. S. at Hickory Street.

The company has been letting Otto’s BMW park cars on the property but needs land-use approval from the city, which is why the application was at the committee of adjustment on Wednesday. The citizens’ committee is tasked with hearing applications for minor land-use changes.

Neighbour Gary Davis and community association rep Kathy Kennedy presented to the committee in opposition of the application.

Kennedy said the developer should be landscaping the property to comply with a land-use agreement, not opening it up to parking. A temporary parking lot would fly in the face of the of a pedestrian-focused community design plan, she said.

Mastercraft Starwood wants permission to store 62 dealership vehicles on the property.

Planning consultant Katherine Grechuta, who represented the developer, said vehicle storage wouldn’t be out of character for the area since there’s a large, neighbouring parking lot serving the Ottawa Hospital Civic campus.

Grechuta said the developer’s approved Phase 2 condo will be 24 storeys, with about 200 units, which would have more of a traffic impact than a small, temporary parking lot.

The committee didn’t indicate when it would deliver a decision.

jwilling@postmedia.com

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...aly-condo-site

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post
That would be great. I'm sure the South facing residents of Champagne are not eager to have their views obliterated the way the North facing residents have any time soon! Who will want to live in Champagne phase 1 when every window faces another window?! They built the towers facing the wrong way! I guess they didn't know what was to come....

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 1:41 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

City planning panel refuses BMW lot on condo site

Published on: January 27, 2017 | Last Updated: January 27, 2017 6:04 PM EST

A planning panel has refused a developer’s request to temporarily use an undeveloped condo site in Little Italy to store a dealership’s luxury vehicles.

But Mastercraft Starwood has the option of appealing the decision to the Ontario Municipal Board, hoping the provincial tribunal will allow the SoHo Champagne property to be “storage” space before building the second-phase condo tower.

The committee of adjustment filed a written decision Friday, saying Mastercraft Starwood didn’t make a strong enough case to use the condo site at 115 Champagne Ave. for car storage, even in the short term.

Mastercraft Starwood has been letting Otto’s BMW park vehicles at the site but learned it needed to have planning permission to temporarily use the site for a storage lot. The company wants to allow 62 vehicles to be parked on the property, which is at the corner of Hickory Street, near the pedestrian bridge over the Trillium Line.

Otto’s BMW has a temporary dealership on Carling Avenue, around the corner from SoHo Champagne.

Ottawa’s soft condo market has put the second-phase condo tower on hold. The company thought car storage could be a viable use for three years until it was ready to build the tower.

The problem is, the community thought the site would be landscaped if there was a delay in construction. Creating a temporary parking lot isn’t in the spirit of a design plan for the area, opponents said.

On the other hand, consultants for the company pointed out there’s already a large parking lot on the south side of Hickory Street, a stone’s throw away from SoHo Champagne. And besides, they argued, the future high-rise condo will actually draw more traffic than a temporary BMW lot.

The committee of adjustment sided with the community.

Kitchissippi Coun. Jeff Leiper went as far as saying it’s “belligerent” for the company to pursue a car lot at the condo site.

Kathy Kennedy, the planning chair for the Civic Hospital Neighbourhood Association, said she’s “delighted” by the committee of adjustment’s decision.

“We think this was a completely inappropriate use of land in a residential neighbourhood,” Kennedy said.

The company’s attempt to appeal the decision isn’t an immediate concern for residents.

“We’ll wait for the next steps,” Kennedy said. “We’re going to take the weekend to celebrate.”

Mastercraft Starwood has not indicated if it will appeal the decision to the OMB.

jwilling@postmedia.com

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...o-lot-for-bmws

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 7:39 PM

Quote:
That would be great. I'm sure the South facing residents of Champagne are not eager to have their views obliterated the way the North facing residents have any time soon! Who will want to live in Champagne phase 1 when every window faces another window?! They built the towers facing the wrong way! I guess they didn't know what was to come....
Yeah 10+ years away when trying to sell a unit that will have its view blocked. It is impossible to predict as it all depends on market conditions, financing etc.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 4:56 PM
National Capital Region

I came across this Building Code Commission ruling about the pool and hot tub. The developer's design was rejected by the City as not meeting the Building Code and upheld through an appeal. Curious how the final version turned out.

edit - found the hot tub.

On their website it says that some amenities may come in Phase 2... hmmmm..

http://sohochampagne.com/amenities.html

http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page16628.aspx

Here's the render

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...ItalyDows-Lake
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...3-Little-Italy

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 5:08 PM

Not a great view yet, but in the next 5-10 years that'll be a nice downtown-like view. Looking at those pictures it's exciting to imagine what it'll look like once it fills in with more buildings. I love going to my wife's cousin's condo on Jarvis in Toronto and seeing the view of the skyline from her balcony. Ottawa doesn't seem to have those kinds of views yet but this area will.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 6:11 PM

On a side note, I wonder how long it'll be before a major hotel project comes to the Dow's Lake area.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 5:56 AM

That hot tub is a friggin joke!! I have seen some pretty nice rooftop hot tubs before. Their original plans may not have been to code but it doesn't mean this was the only alternative. And what's with the cheap railing and patio stones and furniture and no landscaping and lighting. What a piece of shit!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa