HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 11:15 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I love/hate White Spot/ Triple Os Thread

WS/ TOs is easily my favourite fast food chain to come out of Canada. There's just something about their burgers that always satisfies me. Is it the slightly toasted bun? The super fresh and quality ingredients? The famous Triple O sauce? For me, it's the combination of those three aforementioned things that does it. Their breakfast burgers crush as well.

Having said that, WS is not appreciated by all. Most people either love it or can't stand it. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. My sister and I, for instance, love the burgers while my brother can't eat them. For him, it's the Triple O sauce that does the burger in. For my wife (who's from Taiwan), the BC burger is one big superlative. It's her favourite burger bar none.

Another thing, White Spot/ Triple Os has a rather strange expansion plan. You can find them all over BC (stand alone, in gas stations, on ferries), but there are maybe two (?) outside of the province. Both are in Alberta. Compare that to East Asia where you can find 8 in HK, a couple in South Korea and Thailand.

Yeah, I just spent 10 minutes writing this because I'm hungry.

White Spot..... yay or nay?

Triple Os in HK

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 9:57 PM

white spot started out in BC, Vancouver - speaking as a vancouver person we all love it

they have been opening more triple o locations lately

a hong kong business man liked the burgers so much on his frequent vancouver trips he made a franchise deal to open locations in hong kong and now more other places in asia

i love their burgers, i got my australian relatives hooked on them, their fries are so good too

damn now i am craving a bc burger and i am stuck in alberta

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 10:14 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I went to a Whitespot in Alberta once and they didn't have the BC burger but had an Alberta burger. Didn't think anything of it at the time, but when telling the story to a friend back in BC he informed me that the BC burger is called the BC burger not because it's from here but because it's a Bacon and Cheese burger. Made perfect sense I had never thought about it. Anyways that's my White Spot story.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post

Another thing, White Spot/ Triple Os has a rather strange expansion plan. You can find them all over BC (stand alone, in gas stations, on ferries), but there are maybe two (?) outside of the province. Both are in Alberta. Compare that to East Asia where you can find 8 in HK, a couple in South Korea and Thailand.

Yeah, I just spent 10 minutes writing this because I'm hungry.

White Spot..... yay or nay?
Yay... Burger is quite good. Fish and Chips are also very good.

The fundamental problem with the expansion plan is they still have not opened up any outlets in Saskatchewan. Once they expand east of Alberta into Saskatchewan then they are back on track moving east.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 5:27 AM

i don't think they have plans to open much outside of BC

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 5:31 AM
I'm cheap

We have a Triple O's at the hospital that I work at. Kind of sick of them... not the same as being at a White Spot. Miss them oddly enough.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 4:24 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I went to White Spot with touraccuracy in Vancouver. It was all right. A step above most other chain burger shops (Red Robin, Fatburger, etc.) but a step or two below Edmonton's DeLux.

Never seen a Triple O.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 2:20 AM
I'm cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
I went to White Spot with touraccuracy in Vancouver. It was all right. A step above most other chain burger shops (Red Robin, Fatburger, etc.) but a step or two below Edmonton's DeLux.

Never seen a Triple O.
There is I think only 1 Triple O's in Edmonton that I know of and it's in the Royal Alexandra Hospital of all places. But pretty much what you said is true.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 7:40 PM
BANNED

I remember White Spot from years ago and they sucked. Although I haven't been to the Saanich restaurant in a long time, the downtown restaurant here in Victoria is good now since they did a complete revamp and they are a lot less like a shitty family restaurant and a lot more like Earl's, Cactus Club, Moxie's and Milestones now.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Jul 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 12:47 AM

i must admit the breakfast at white spot sucks

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 4:11 AM

I haven't had breakfast at a White Spot in a long time, but Triple's Os breakfast burgers are awesome. I always get one when I'm in HK.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 1:04 AM
Sebastian

The past four times I have eaten there (three on the ferries), I have got the runs.
I hate White Spot.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 4:50 AM

I noticed they don't have the BC burger or the Western Plate here in AB. I go to the one on macleod trail in Calgary, but the one up on Barlow trail is terrible.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 1:21 AM
So very tired...

I like White Spot, and think their burgers taste great, but they are tiny, and way overpriced. Good food, but bad value IMO.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 6:26 PM

White Spot is pretty good but there are better places to get a burger. It does surprise me though that there aren't many outside BC. I noticed this with Blenz Coffee too, for a company that claims to be "Canada's Coffee Company" they have a surprising lack of stores outside BC. Is this a common theme with BC businesses?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 8:25 PM

a lot of eastern based chains stop at the alberta border and don't come into BC - like harveys, red lobster...

their used to be stand alone harveys until the early 90's than they shut down and some opened up inside home depot but its not the same

BC is fiercly buy bc and a lot of bc'ers support the bc chains i guess

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
White Spot is pretty good but there are better places to get a burger. It does surprise me though that there aren't many outside BC. I noticed this with Blenz Coffee too, for a company that claims to be "Canada's Coffee Company" they have a surprising lack of stores outside BC. Is this a common theme with BC businesses?
There's definitely something different with BC-based F&B businesses. They expand outside of the province with extreme caution it seems:

Milestones, for instance, skipped all of western Canada and set up restaurants in Ontario and Washington.
Blenz is scarce through-out the country, but you can find them in Beijing and Hangzhou, China.
Cactus Club expanded to Alberta, but it almost ruined the company. Not sure if there are any in the province still.
The Keg seems to be the most successful restaurant chain out of BC. It can be found everywhere in Canada and, to a lesser extent, the US.

Probably the most well-known brand out of BC these days isn't a restaurant at all. It's Lululemon.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 4:29 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I've seen Milestones in Edmonton.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 2:08 PM

Earls and Joey's are exploding in Toronto right now. They are hugely popular and they can't build em fast enough.

Also Cafe Artegiano seems to have some aspirations of national growth, although they seem to be taking it pretty slow too. From what I remember they have the same ownership as Earls/Joeys so I expect them to follow their expansion. I can't wait for an Artegiano is Toronto.

Another big expander in Toronto are izakaya restaurants. Guu now has 2 restaurants open in Toronto and Hapa is opening one shortly as well. Both Guus are very difficult to get into due to the daily lineups.

And ya the keg has over 100 restaurants so the have certainly managed a pretty successful expansion out of BC.

Also put me down as a +1 for liking triple Os as a fast food burger joint... even if it does give me a stomach ache half the time!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 3:20 PM

There are a few Milestone's in Calgary, not a bad restaurant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia