HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:46 AM

Comcast has already started to diversify into the financial sector . You may even see more spin offs coming in the near future .

* Post scripteople say cable is dead , but cable will remain the fastest information transfer speeds for along time to come . Due to bandwidth capability .

Last edited by kingtut; Apr 24, 2015 at 4:01 AM. Reason: post script

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtut View Post
Comcast has already started to diversify into the financial sector . You may even see more spin offs coming in the near future .

* Post scripteople say cable is dead , but cable will remain the fastest information transfer speeds for along time to come . Due to bandwidth capability .
Cable clearly isn't dead. I mean one way or another, you're accessing your data from some kind of cable network. But I think people do underestimate how fast technology can change. People are looking at Google, Apple, and mobile services as cable's only potential competition because they're the only ones that exist, and because they're parallel. Again, they're all some type of cable.

But people aren't thinking of the yet-to-be discovered alternatives to cable/fiber. Let's face it, someday all data will be truly wireless, we just haven't figured out how yet. And when that happens - it could happen in 5 or 25 years - it's going to be a massive game changer for everyone from Comcast to Google to T-Mobile. When someone figures out how to make data truly wireless, it's going to do to cable what the internet did to newspapers.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
Cable clearly isn't dead. I mean one way or another, you're accessing your data from some kind of cable network. But I think people do underestimate how fast technology can change. People are looking at Google, Apple, and mobile services as cable's only potential competition because they're the only ones that exist, and because they're parallel. Again, they're all some type of cable.
If 5G (or similar) could be rolled out without charging us stupid insane rates, then we would no longer need a cable going into our house except for power.

Though if we start streaming 4k (or better yet 8k+) that could get rough on wireless carriers and they would in turn put the cost back on us. At least we'd have more choice in our provider.

Cheers,
G.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 11:16 PM

Actually, why do we even have this thread? There is NO proposal, no source, nothing for this. Can a Mod remove please?

Thanks,
G.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarCastle View Post
If 5G (or similar) could be rolled out without charging us stupid insane rates, then we would no longer need a cable going into our house except for power.

Though if we start streaming 4k (or better yet 8k+) that could get rough on wireless carriers and they would in turn put the cost back on us. At least we'd have more choice in our provider.

Cheers,
G.
I guess I'm thinking of it more in theory rather than in terms of what's currently possible. Yeah, on today's playing field 8k would be exponentially more expensive. But that doesn't mean there isn't tech out there waiting to be discovered that could change the way data is handled. I'm thinking of it in terms of searching for the microchip of cable and internet provisions. It'll happen. Just a matter of 10 years or 50.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarCastle View Post
Actually, why do we even have this thread? There is NO proposal, no source, nothing for this. Can a Mod remove please?

Thanks,
G.
It's a decent conversation. Maybe move it to a miscellaneous board.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 6:00 PM

Liberty Property Trust makes another buy at 19th and Arch

Quote:
Liberty Property Trust has acquired a surface lot at 19th and Arch streets in Philadelphia. The property is part of a block the company has been assembling for some time for what many believe will be the site for a third tower for Comcast Corp.

The Malvern, Pa., real estate investment trust paid $2.45 million to buy what is a 10,720-square-foot surface parking lot at 1931-1937 Arch St.

As I reported in February, Liberty (NYSE: LRY) has been buying up this block that is bound by 19th, Arch, Cherry and 20th streets piece by piece over the last year.

In December, Liberty acquired 120-22 N. 19th St., a small two-story building occupied by the Support Center for Child Advocates. The site is on the corner of 19th and Cherry streets and the building is 8,700 square feet.

Liberty has also made a move to buy Russell Byers Charter School at 1911-13 Arch St. The building totals 55,000 square feet. Other properties it has acquired include: 102-18 N. 19th St.; 100 N. 19th St.; and 1919-23 Arch St.

Commercial real estate sources have said that a third Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSA) tower is in the works and that bidding on the project is in the initial stages.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...nter-city.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 7:47 PM
BANNED

Very interesting that sources are indicating some bidding is going on related to the tower- but that could be for architectural services or planning services.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 7:58 PM

I've heard people joke in comcast that it would be a residential tower. I don't think anyone in comcast knows where the head count is coming from to fill yet another tower. Also that lot is starting to become a far walk from the suburban station. Doesn't comcast have the foundation to build another small tower on the CC lot?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 12:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I've heard people joke in comcast that it would be a residential tower. I don't think anyone in comcast knows where the head count is coming from to fill yet another tower. Also that lot is starting to become a far walk from the suburban station. Doesn't comcast have the foundation to build another small tower on the CC lot?
The plan they showed years ago included a small tower on southwest corner of the lot where the CC stands. It was going to be as tall as the suburban station building to the east. Not sure why they aren't pursuing that building- maybe they dont want to get rid of the garden that currently sits there. Or perhaps such a building would be too small.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Also that lot is starting to become a far walk from the suburban station. Doesn't comcast have the foundation to build another small tower on the CC lot?
This was one of reasons for asking why Comcast couldn't fit two towers on the existing CITC site. As part of the foundation, they're building a direct connection between CITC and Suburban Station. That tunnel could have connected not one but two towers to the train.

In any case that's not happening and we don't have to rehash why. But maybe they'll build a pedestrian tunnel or skywalk between CITC and the third tower, so that way those employees can still access the tower without having to go outdoors, as is the case with the two other towers.

Regarding the lawn next to the original Comcast Center, I wonder if that will ever be developed. Comcast will use its leverage with Liberty to make sure that only a building affiliated w/ Comcast will get built there. But as long as there is a need for a tower more than 300 ft tall, they'll have to use other sites.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 7:13 PM

No new information here. We'll close this thread for now.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive