HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 3:11 PM

The Annex Residence (265 Laurier St E) | 9 storeys | Completed

David Reevely just tweeted about a new development application for student residences.

Excerpt from application:

Quote:
Viner Assets Inc. proposes to construct a mid-rise mixed-use building (9 storeys in height) with purpose-built student residence units, with retail (1,217 m2), a fitness centre (260 m2) and student amenity area (433 m2) on the ground level. The ground floor retail space is intended for street-oriented retail activity (e.g., coffee shop, restaurant, personal service uses, retail food store) which would serve the needs of residents and the local community.

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...0Rationale.PDF

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 3:21 PM

Another rendering. Looks pretty nice.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 4:17 PM

This is a very interesting proposal. It's right around the corner from my parents' house, so I have some skin in the game so to speak.

My first impressions are:
- Judged independently of what is currently on the site, I think it's a good proposal. Adding retail and a fitness centre to Laurier is a good idea for students and other Sandy Hill residents' alike.
- However, what is currently on the site is a series of good quality, attractive low-rise apartment buildings and a couple converted dwellings, which I am quite fond of. It seems to me that of the properties that could be redeveloped, this isn't the one I would want. That's not to say that the proposal doesn't have merit, it certainly does.
- They put a bizarre amount of emphasis on this being a "gateway" to a "campus district" which is total bunk. There's nothing about Friel that is a gateway, it's a relatively unimportant side street in Sandy Hill. Perhaps this is to justify the height? I have no problem with the height, but the notion of it being a gateway is laughable.
- There's also a lot of discussion of its proximity to Laurier Station, which as they do note in their associated traffic report, will be removed with the LRT. So why focus on it? it's a drawback, if anything.

My two cents.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 4:51 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Developer proposes private ‘purpose-built student residence’ for U of O on Laurier Avenue

By David Reevely, OTTAWA CITIZEN September 27, 2013 12:22 PM

OTTAWA — A property developer has proposed a partial solution to the shortage of student housing around the University of Ottawa: A nine-storey apartment block for the corner of Laurier Avenue East and Friel Steet, replacing several low-rise buildings.

The project has been brewing for months but formal paperwork has just been filed with the city, spelling out Viner Assets’ plan to construct a 180-unit complex of bachelor and two-bedroom apartments for a “purpose-built student residence.”

It’s explicitly aimed at taking some of the pressure off Sandy Hill’s existing houses, several of which have lately been converted into tightly packed low-rise apartments in processes that have so alarmed nearby residents that the city passed an temporary emergency bylaw to stop it.

“The tension that has built up between residents of the community and students can be relieved by creating a facility that consolidates the location where many students live, recreate and go to school,” says Viner’s application for the zoning changes it needs, prepared by planning consultancy FoTenn. “With the increase in density on the site, it is likely that the preponderance of the residents would be those students seeking accommodations close to the University for their housing, making the ad hoc rooming houses less appealing.”

Universities simply can’t afford to build all the residences they need, the application says, so this is the private sector stepping in.

The Citizen couldn’t immediately reach Action Sandy Hill, the local community association, to ask about the proposal, but minutes from a June board meeting where an earlier version of the plan was discussed suggest the group’s response is cool: “Attendees expressed concerns about the height, heritage issues, monolithic nature of design and particularly the fact that it is more off-campus student housing,” the minutes say.

Besides the residence space, Viner’s application says the plan is to include laundry facilities, a gym and common areas including study space, just as an on-campus dorm would. The building is also to have stores (including a grocery) and a café at ground level aimed at student business.

Designed by Barry J. Hobin & Associates, it’s meant to be sensitive to Sandy Hill’s character, the application says, mimicking the design of the buildings it would replace and using brick and other materials to help it fit in. At nine storeys, it would equal the tallest building in the area — another apartment a block away — and would need not only a zoning change but an amendment to the city’s official plan, which demands low-rise buildings on the property.

Another developer is planning a similar private student residence for Mann Avenue, the University of Ottawa is itself hoping to build an on-campus residence on Henderson Avenue, and the school is expected to contract someone to build an even larger private residence somewhere else in Sandy Hill, as well.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...946/story.html

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 4:57 PM

I too am getting tired of big developer spins like "getaway to the community" or "in the heart of".

That said, I like the proposal, I like that they are keeping some history and restoring that old house on the corner, but I still don't believe that this is the spot for intensification. Why tear down perfectly fine old buildings when you can buy and tear down the crappier buildings (white apartment building and the slim one with glass cube windows) north on the same block.

And Laurier station, I wouldn't brag about it. For one, it's 600 m away. Also, it's not even in use anymore!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 6:19 PM

I say pick up this proposal and drop it down further west on Laurier on the parking lot across from the Oak, and it then would be just great, and indeed could be called a "gateway" to campus. Please don't tear down some lovely solid stuff on old leafy Laurier!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 6:45 PM
National Capital Region

I don't think they are saying this location is a gateway currently, they are saying this building will create the gateway, as I think Laurier is strictly residential east of the site except for Le Cordon Bleu and the commercial uses really start west of the site.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
as I think Laurier is strictly residential east of the site except for Le Cordon Bleu....
and embassies

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 7:53 PM

I assumed this was closer to the campus until I looked at a map. While the design is nice, I'd like to see it closer to the school itself, as there's some real junky places nearby. Also, Friel is no gateway.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 1:31 AM

If they could somehow keep a few of these buildings (sort of like 150 Elgin) instead of tearing them down and building replica façades or in some cases historic looking façades that have no relation to the original, I might be more on board with this.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
I assumed this was closer to the campus
450m to Cumberland and Laurier, that's walkable.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
I assumed this was closer to the campus

450m to Cumberland and Laurier, that's walkable.

If that 450m walk is too arduous, students can always take a break and stop into the Royal Oak for a pint or the Second Cup for a java. They are on the route.

Actually, I can hardly believe that we are discussing whether this proposed residence is too far away from campus for students.

We are talking about 18-25 yo adults. Any able-bodied student who can't do that walk, and further , a few times a day is in trouble.

I sure would have thought so when I was a young student there, and thought nothing of walking everywhere. If they can not do it I would suggest they sign up for one of the universities fitness or sports programs to get in decent shape.

Those who do have a disability that might prevent this do get preference for a spot in the existing on campus residences.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
If that 450m walk is too arduous, students can always take a break and stop into the Royal Oak for a pint or the Second Cup for a java. They are on the route.

Actually, I can hardly believe that we are discussing whether this proposed residence is too far away from campus for students.

We are talking about 18-25 yo adults. Any able-bodied student who can't do that walk, and further , a few times a day is in trouble.

I sure would have thought so when I was a young student there, and thought nothing of walking everywhere. If they can not do it I would suggest they sign up for one of the universities fitness or sports programs to get in decent shape.

Those who do have a disability that might prevent this do get preference for a spot in the existing on campus residences.
Don't get me wrong, I completely agree. Moreover, students may have a lecture in Desmarais then the next one in Site 10 minutes later. Very good for their fitness level.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 4:01 AM

Quote:
We're not!

And I can't believe the speed in which people on this board jump to conclusions over what they think a poster implied! Which, in this case, was NOTHING!

I thought the address was closer to campus - Because my brain doesn't have intricate, Google Maps-worthy knowledge of the address '400 Friel Street'.

And, because there's more parking lots/junky buildings closer which would seem like the likelier development opportunity.

Also, I just got back from a walk. It was quite long. I made it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 1:06 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Serious people in the private-dormitory business

Posted by: David Reevely
October 30, 2013. 5:35 pm • Section: City Hall

As a sign of how serious the people are who want to build a 650-bedroom private residence aimed at U of O students at Laurier Avenue and Friel Street, they’ve hired Graham Bird as their project manager.

You may recognize Bird from such hits as the Ottawa Convention Centre, the Ottawa airport, the Royal Ottawa’s total replacement of its building. Also, er, Lansdowne Park, where the city hired him to be its project manager.

Things get tricky when you farm a lot of things out to consultants.

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2013/...tory-business/

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 4:56 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I too am getting tired of big developer spins like "getaway to the community" or "in the heart of".

That said, I like the proposal, I like that they are keeping some history and restoring that old house on the corner, but I still don't believe that this is the spot for intensification. Why tear down perfectly fine old buildings when you can buy and tear down the crappier buildings (white apartment building and the slim one with glass cube windows) north on the same block.

And Laurier station, I wouldn't brag about it. For one, it's 600 m away. Also, it's not even in use anymore!
Laurier Station is still operational, it has just been moved over by about 50 metres. It will only become a phantom station in 2018.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
Laurier Station is still operational, it has just been moved over by about 50 metres. It will only become a phantom station in 2018.
Thanks! Welcome back BTW!!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 5:01 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

I also like the existing old apartment buildings, there's nothing wrong with them. My first preference would be to see them kept, and made part of a redevelopment project. However, if only one or two are kept, my own opinion is then that I don't see the point in replicating the rhythm and cadence of those old buildings in something brand new and of a different scale. The proposed building's footprint leaves indentations along Laurier to recall the footprints of the old buildings being taken out, and that's an empty gesture. It would make more sense to give that stretch of the street a stronger retail frontage, and focus open spaces at the rear of the property where the present proposal is very close to the property lines. Aside from that, on the renderings that have been posted, the architectural language appears correct.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 5:02 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Thanks! Welcome back BTW!!
Thanks!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 1:59 PM

Sandy Hill consultations being held on proposed development at Laurier and Friel
Sarah Anderson (@SarahCFRA)

Consultations are being held Wednesday night at the Sandy Hill Community Centre at 6:30 where companies will present their proposal for a new student housing project that would take up one acre at the corner of Laurier Avenue and Friel Street.

The meeting is arranged by the planning department at the City and will be facilitated by Councillor Mathieu Fleury.

The new project is expected to answer to a shortage of student housing in the neighbourhood that borders Ottawa U. It would be 9 storeys with ground-floor retail, 170 apartments and underground parking for 62.

The building would have heightened security as well as fitness and study areas.

The property has been owned by a private company, Viner Assets Incorporated, for 60 years and would be co-developed independently of the University of Ottawa. The new building would replace six existing properties that mainly house students already.

Community members are expected to hold some opposition to the project. Action Sandy Hill has a petition with more than 1,100 signatures calling on the University of Ottawa to build more on-campus housing rather than relying on increased off-campus units.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa