HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Is there any evidence of the jail anymore? A tour (if ever possible) would make a wonderful highlight for a Jane's Walk.
Yes, it is still there.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 1:11 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

What a hideosity! What was Andrew Reeves smoking when he came up with this? This is so out of character with the neighbourhood and will be an embarrassment for Linebox if it goes ahead looking like this. I quite like the built form and the planned uses, but the choice of cladding materials really offends my senses. Such a hodge-podge.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 1:16 AM

I really like this proposal. It's a reasonable height, it won't dwarf the church. It kind of "hugs" the church. It's a good street-level design, it's a good fit for a walkable neighbourhood, which Beechwood currently is, and should remain. It's a decent way of preserving the church and it'll keep the neighbourhood busy. I'm not going to knock the coffee shop patio... they're bound to get some steady foot traffic out of that. British neighbourhoods have their local pubs, we might as well get used to our neighbourhood coffee shops in Canada.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 2:01 AM

"Outdoor market"?

That thing tiny.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
What a hideosity! What was Andrew Reeves smoking when he came up with this? This is so out of character with the neighbourhood and will be an embarrassment for Linebox if it goes ahead looking like this. I quite like the built form and the planned uses, but the choice of cladding materials really offends my senses. Such a hodge-podge.
I see it as adding to the neighbourhood. I really like the textures. There is brick, manufactured stone, glass and steel.

How does it turns out? Only the developer knows for sure.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Has this been before a community association meeting. If this was the Glebe they'd have a public lynching...not so certain about the Vanier neighbourhood.

Looking at some of the site plan drawings it shows 2 levels of u/g parking with the lower level having a clearance of 2.1 m. That seems really tight.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
I kind of like it. It's got a bit of a UQAM look about it.
That was my first thought; looks like a Montreal-esq 70s-80s institutional design. Very colourful and lots of brick.

Not terrible. They pretty much preserve the church entirely, which is much, much more than what we can say about nearly every other project that includes a historical component in Ottawa. Church spire still the tallest structure.

Few criticisms;

- Brick is too heavy. Needs much more glass to lighten the structure and make the church stand out;
- Needs more set-backs;
- Square at the front looks terrible.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Everyone go home; Capital Shaun won SkyscraperPage.
LOL. Thanks.

What is it with Beechwood that has designers/architects come up with ideas that feature overly 'busy' finishes? Nothing wrong with pops of colour or contrasting textures but damn, it's like they feel compelled to throw in a bit of everything. (Like 137 and 196 Beechwood.)

Last edited by Capital Shaun; Feb 3, 2016 at 5:04 PM. Reason: Just adding more info.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 5:39 PM

I could pick at certain small issues, but overall compared to the first pass at a design for this, I really like this one.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 5:05 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

ModBox to show off latest landmark Vanier building plans

By Michelle Nash Baker
Ottawa East News, May 20, 2016

The latest details for the St. Charles Church development will be up for discussion.

Residents will have a chance to check out the updated plans for the former Catholic church at an information session on May 30.

The evening is hosted by Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury at the church starting at 7 p.m.

Fleury said he will moderate the evening and residents can expect a presentation of the most recent architectural plans from the church’s owners, ModBox Developments.

“We will be telling the story of where we started and where we are going,” said ModBox’s Geoff Heintzman.

Not a mandatory step for its site plan application – as the developer has already held consultations with the community concerning their application -- Heintzman said ModBox is happy to participate in this event because it’s the best way to ensure the development reflects what the community wants.

“Its something we have concentrated our efforts on doing,” he said.

ModBox bought the church in December for $4 million from the archdiocese of Ottawa and took ownership of the property in December 2014.

In May of last year, the company held its first consultation. Heintzman said this event will be similar in nature to what took place that first time.

“We are hoping to get more people to come out,” he said. “These events are great opportunity for us to understand where the community is on acceptance of our project.”

Built in 1908, St. Charles Church welcomed Catholic faith every Sunday for more than 100 years until it closed its doors in 2010.

The church’s exterior was given heritage designation in 2013, thanks to the efforts of Vanier resident Mike Steinhauer’s application, which detailed the church’s historic architectural value.

Created by Linebox architect Andrew Reeves, the plans for the property include leaving three of the church’s exterior walls untouched and building a combined townhomes and condominiums building which will wrap around the Vanier church.

Long before the property was sold, residents have been participating in the ongoing discussion to what should happen with the large green space and building and Heintzman said it is this passion he has seen and heard from residents that has helped shape the plans for the property.

According to Heintzman, 50 per cent of the property will remain undeveloped with a sculpture garden, patios and seating planned to occupy the greenspace.

Restoring the interior of the church, it will include a marketplace with ModBox planning to feature local vendors, cafes and restaurants.

“We have made a concentrated effort to keep it as open as possible,” he said. “We are treating the project in a respectful way. We want to ensure the future of the church still allows for community involvement.”

Construction for the new portion of the development is slated to begin in spring of 2017, but a building permit and site plan approval still need to happen before shovels can hit the ground.

However, unlike some other properties posed for development in the city, this space is open to the public, with the latest event, the Beechwood Farmers’ Market, ready to open its summer season on the grounds June 11.

“Knowing it will be quite some time before we would be shovels in the ground, so we have been active in reaching out to community to make the space active and used,” he said.

Fleury said he thinks the relationship ModBox has with the community is something he is starting to see more and more with developers.

“I think it’s a modern way to do development,” Fleury said. “Kudos to that group embracing it -- but I think we will see more of that kind of relationship in the future.”

The information session runs from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Fleury’s office will provide light refreshments for the event.

More information about the project is available by visiting ModBox.ca.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/n...uilding-plans/

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 7:15 PM

Looks like the exterior design and cladding have been "dulled up" enough to be ready to go!

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 1:59 AM

Hmmm...no comment....except for one thing. The building in the latest rendering looks like it belongs on the campus of Carleton University.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 10:40 PM

Yawn. Boring Windows...compared to the last sketches before this...

And yes! I do feel like this is the next res for Carleton...

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 3:07 PM

I'll be interested to see the eventual plans for the old sanctuary (and basement, I assume). Vendors, café and restaurant seems like a lot to cram into the space. Perhaps the restaurant is intended for the ground floor of the new building, facing the plaza?

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 6:21 PM

found some higher res renderings here: http://www.linebox.ca/work/st-charles-market/

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 11:23 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobOttawa View Post
found some higher res renderings here: http://www.linebox.ca/work/st-charles-market/
Good catch. I'm glad the garish colours have been reduced to pleasing accents, and they've removed the odd-looking peaked features on the Barrette side. It does look a tad institutional, but I'm liking it more and more now.

Last edited by rocketphish; May 29, 2016 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 12:38 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

St. Charles Market: Updated Renderings
May 26, 2016

From: http://stcharlesmarket.ca/st-charles...ed-renderings/

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Good catch. I'm glad the garish colours have been reduced to pleasing accents, and they've removed the odd-looking peaked features on the Barrette side. It does look a tad institutional, but I'm liking it more and more now.
In addition, the public space in front of the church has also been greatly improved. Great to see heritage standards better preserved than the City's minimum requirement.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 4:46 PM

It might be more boring, but the previous version was offensively ugly. I still hate how the building almost entirely swallows up the church except on the Beechwood side.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 4:57 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
It might be more boring, but the previous version was offensively ugly. I still hate how the building almost entirely swallows up the church except on the Beechwood side.
The physical swallowing of the church seems preordained now. But it could be visually lessened with the use of not-brown masonry/cladding on the new construction, couldn't it? Why are they trying to make it match?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa