HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 4:20 AM

$500 to get into Molson Canada Hockey House

Hefty price to kick back at Molson's 2010 Olympic hockey house

By Damian Inwood, Canwest News Service
October 6, 2009 6:25 PM

Organizers are it calling it "the home of hockey" during the Vancouver 2010 Olympics.

But lunch-bucket hockey fans may feel the $500-a-day price for Molson Canada Hockey House is like getting a high stick in the chops.

For a ticket for the $15-million, 81,000-square-foot party zone is more expensive than some of the men's gold-medal hockey seats.

"Based on the Superbowl, Formula 1 or the Ryder Cup, we're cheap," insisted Jordan Bitove, president of Vision|Co, a partner in the project. "We're actually a deal and we're all-inclusive in that price."

But someone who wants to drop in for a couple of beers and watch a hockey game will have to shell out the full $500.

Bitove admitted the prices may be "flexible," based on the response.

He said that when organizers initially looked at the concept and kicked around the figures, the world's economy was "in a bull economy and now we're in a bear."

Ticketholders can use the 57,000-square foot bar and dining area from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. and get all their food — catered by Wolfgang Puck Catering — drink and entertainment included in the price.

The games will be shown on three 40-foot high-definition TV screens.

Anyone buying a "season pass" for $8,500 for the 17-day Olympic period also gets their own private "loge" or booth to entertain their guests in.

Bitove boasts that the hockey house, just down the block from GM Place, will, be the largest free-standing, temporary structure ever built.

It's the size of five hockey rinks and will employ 1,000 staff, he said.

The bar will hold 2,000 people at a time and the building also holds Hockey Canada and International Ice Hockey Federation hospitality suites.

"We believe hockey will be the draw," added Bitove.

Entertainment includes The Barenaked Ladies whose drummer, Tyler Stewart, is "entertainment director."

Comedian Sean Cullen will also perform and is organizing trivia quizzes and hockey karaoke contests involving members of Canada's men's and women's hockey teams.

Former Vancouver Canuck captain Stan Smyl is the hockey ambassador and hockey legends including Hall of Famers like Paul Coffey and Cam Neely will put in appearances.

The Molson hockey house is just one of many national and corporate hospitality centres planned for Vancouver 2010.

Others include the Heineken House for speed skating fans at Richmond's O Zone, Russia House at Science World, U.S. House on three floors of a Yaletown apartment complex, France House at Hycroft Mansion in Shaughnessy, Swiss House at Bridges Hotel and Coca Cola's corporate party base at the Granville Island Hotel.

dinwood@theprovince.com
© copyright (c) CNS Olympics

Considering how much money it's going to cost to build this venue and to run it (1,000 staff!), i suppose the cost to get in is warranted.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 4:25 AM

Yeah, I saw that on CTV. It's a little ridiculous I think.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 4:28 AM
Bridge Walker!

I think I'm gonna pass.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 4:45 AM

Do they insist on making you drink Molson Canadian?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 5:23 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Lame expensive. Even for their target market this doesn't make sense. I'm sure there will be some fools in there that will be willing to pay the premium. If this were some sort of premium Canadian beer trying to build their brand, this would be a gold mine, but for Molson? Fail.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 5:41 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Girls included in that price?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 6:31 AM

they would be molson girls though - may as well go with a surrey girl

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 6:35 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

I would love to know what the $500/head is going to. However, I do think that this is taking hockey away from the fans and creating an elitist group of people. Basically, the Concord guys have said us mortals can wait outside to try and get a picture or an autograph with hockey greats like Gretzky, Howe, or Yzerman.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 6:37 AM

^ well, they are spending $15-million to build the venue. And there are 1,000 staff....plus catering by Wolfgang Puck.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 6:38 AM

the olympics belong to the rich - always have always will

we get to stand outside the fence and look

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 6:55 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
^ well, they are spending $15-million to build the venue. And there are 1,000 staff....plus catering by Wolfgang Puck.
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure Molson will write that off as an advertising expense. Like, okay, if it was $50/head that would be a little more reasonable to the common hockey fan.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 12:33 PM

^ agreed. i think molson got it all wrong. their demograhic is not one who pays $500.

there's some pictures here of the announcement and a cool scale model of downtown. you can also see what's planned for the concord lands next to BC place..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/audiher...7622533252156/

Hockey legends like Paul Coffey, Cam Neely, Luc Robitaille, Peter Mahovlich, Danny Gare and Russ Courtnall will stop by. The Barenaked Ladies will perform as will Comedian Sean Cullen. Barenaked Ladies' drummer Tyler Stewart will act as Entertainment Director, responsible for creating a lineup of top Canadian and international acts. The House will host up to 17 live concerts during the Games.
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/new...id=rss680news#

here's the official website: www.molsoncanadianhockeyhouse.com
^ click on the animation at the top right to see a fly-thru of the facility. looks good.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 1:37 PM

I think Rickard's is distributed or brewed or whatever by Molson so there's one good choice at least.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 4:43 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
^ agreed. i think molson got it all wrong. their demograhic is not one who pays $500.
i do not know about that.

the prime seats to see the canucks is about $300.00 (including taxes and ticketmaster f**kme charges). and there are 41 games plus preseason and playoff tickets.

A once in a life time opportunity to see a Olympic game should sell out. I would imagine gold medal hockey Canada vs Russia or US will scalp for about $2000.00 per ticket.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 5:14 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

I saw a really good animation in the morning news today.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 6:22 PM

Looks like there are different levels of celebration tents - this one is just one of the "VIP" ones.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 6:34 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Hockey legends like Paul Coffey, Cam Neely, Luc Robitaille, Peter Mahovlich, Danny Gare and Russ Courtnall will stop by.
Do "Hockey legends", "Danny Gare", and "Russ Courtnall" really belong in the same sentence? Especially when you're trying to convince people spending $500/head/day to come and hang out? I mean if there was a promise Wayne Greztky, Mark Messier, Gordie Howe, Phil and Tony Esposito, Frank Mahovolich, Guy LaFleur, Marcel Dionne, and Bobby Orr were going to be there hanging out every single day, then yeah, $500 wouldn't be such a bad thing. But Danny who? Russ Courtnall? Please, I can see them play at one of those Old Timer Hockey Challenge games when they play the fire fighters at Langley Events Center for $25.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Looks like there are different levels of celebration tents - this one is just one of the "VIP" ones.
yeah plus its private not really having to cater to the general public

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 8:42 PM

Sounds something akin to the Canadian Club, during Expo '86, which was a VIP dining/cocktail experience requiring paid-up corporate memberships. It was situate on the second floor of the remaining BC Pavillion structure with surrounding outdoor balconies overlooking Expo Plaza and False Creek.

It was a great place to watch the daily 10 pm fireworks show and have a chef bring a BBQ next to your table and grill your steaks.

But $500/person/day still sounds a bit steep in this instance.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 12:49 AM

At that price you'd expect there to be real 'bare naked ladies'.

What a letdown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]