HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #401  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 11:51 PM
Dr Awesomesauce's Avatar
Dr Awesomesauce Dr Awesomesauce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BEYOND THE OUTER RIM
Posts: 4,731
Probably in the minority on this one. It's pretty clear to me the scale of this project is out of whack with the neighbourhood. I mean, 40 stories is a bit jarring. That said, I wouldn't necessarily stand in the way of it getting built.

But if it does go t*ts up, Lamb has no one to blame but himself. Arrogance can be an asset in his field but it can also really affect one's ability to make smart decisions. He has not engendered himself to the city in a particularly positive way so...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #402  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 1:22 AM
durandy durandy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 527
My fear is that if this one collapses, it, combined with the Connolly and numerous other projects staggering along, will really subdue other developers. Frankly, not a single downtown building of any architectural value has been built in the current renaissance. Some good adaptive reuse, but nothing truly bold. The DRP was supposed to encourage innovation but all it's done is maintain the status quo. And that's not surprising because the DRP is made up of the status quo. It's looking less like NIMBY to me and more like 'thats not the way we do things in Hamilton'.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #403  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 1:58 AM
LRTfan LRTfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
My fear is that if this one collapses, it, combined with the Connolly and numerous other projects staggering along, will really subdue other developers. Frankly, not a single downtown building of any architectural value has been built in the current renaissance. Some good adaptive reuse, but nothing truly bold. The DRP was supposed to encourage innovation but all it's done is maintain the status quo. And that's not surprising because the DRP is made up of the status quo. It's looking less like NIMBY to me and more like 'thats not the way we do things in Hamilton'.

Pretty sure we should hold off on using the word 'renaissance'. We've had a few buildings built. Better than none, I agree. But we are WAY behind every other city in Canada and any city worth emulating in the US.
We need multi-million dollar urban residential investments like this. We should be working hard to possibly see a renaissance happen someday....that will never happen with our politicians and the tiny group of social media activists who have their ears.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #404  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 3:32 PM
Sehnsucht Sehnsucht is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Probably in the minority on this one. It's pretty clear to me the scale of this project is out of whack with the neighbourhood. I mean, 40 stories is a bit jarring. That said, I wouldn't necessarily stand in the way of it getting built.

But if it does go t*ts up, Lamb has no one to blame but himself. Arrogance can be an asset in his field but it can also really affect one's ability to make smart decisions. He has not engendered himself to the city in a particularly positive way so...
I certainly agree that BL needs to shoulder some of the responsibility, but not much. Know your market, after all, and that his plan would be bound to meet with resistance.

However, it's innovative and bold, and somebody has to be first. So I don't really call it his arrogance necessarily. He wants to bring an innovative, quality product to Hamilton. What's the crime in that? How do you fault that?

Look, I think we all agree that over the course of the next twenty years, it would be nice to see a totally transformed skyline, one with multiple towers in the 30 to 40-storey range, with a sprinkling of 20-storey towers. Just imagine.

It has to start with one. So let's support this guy and get more 'feet on the street,' as someone just posted (really like that--so Jane Jacobs).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #405  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 4:25 PM
atnor atnor is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 105
While I don't think this build is totally innovative as it looks like any high-rise along the Gardiner, I wouldn't be opposed if it was approved as is; although I do understand the concerns associated with the height, number of units, etc. I would love to see its traffic impact study.

The worst part of this build is that it's close to 181 Jackson St W....ewww, nasty.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #406  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 4:59 PM
movingtohamilton movingtohamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
... It's looking less like NIMBY to me and more like 'thats not the way we do things in Hamilton'.
^ This!
__________________
A village can't organize village life to suit the village idiot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #407  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 5:07 PM
Chronamut's Avatar
Chronamut Chronamut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
While I don't think this build is totally innovative as it looks like any high-rise along the Gardiner, I wouldn't be opposed if it was approved as is; although I do understand the concerns associated with the height, number of units, etc. I would love to see its traffic impact study.

The worst part of this build is that it's close to 181 Jackson St W....ewww, nasty.
people used to eww lock st and ottawa st, and now look at them - one pasts junk is another futures treasure
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #408  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 9:56 PM
LRTfan LRTfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 244
Just stumbled upon this today....Ottawa has finally lifted it's height restrictions. New tallest tower on the way.... This is also known as a city open for business.

http://www.claridgeicon.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #409  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 12:07 AM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is offline
Insertoronto
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,234
Ottawas height restrictions are still in place downtown. That building is in the burbs, outside the height restriction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #410  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 2:39 AM
LRTfan LRTfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Ottawas height restrictions are still in place downtown. That building is in the burbs, outside the height restriction.

A developer took the city to the OMB stating that can't limit heights in a downtown hood. Not surprisingly, the city lost. New towers are coming to downtown now.

I would love to see a developer do the same here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #411  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 10:23 PM
King&James's Avatar
King&James King&James is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 314
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #412  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 10:50 PM
LRTfan LRTfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 244
reposting this here from Downtown Update


sorry for the multiple posts...just saw this pop up on my wire.

http://ward2news.ca/wp-content/uploa...EB-13-2018.pdf

OMB approves 26 storey building in Burlington that was rejected by council.
Here is the kicker, and of utmost relevance for Hamilton:

The OMB cited the Places to Grow Act, the designation of downtown Burlington as a major regional centre, and proximity to a transit hub as a reason for their decision. They made a clear point of mentioning how Places to Grow sets minimum growth targets, not maximum. And they also made note of other nearby buildings built or approved at similar height: 17-23 stories.

Very good new for Brad Lamb IMO

TV City is 500 metres from a future LRT Stop at King/Queen, 550 metres to the MacNab/Main transit terminal, and 750 metres to the GO Station.

Also, TV City is located within the Urban Growth Centre as outlined by Places to Grow:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #413  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:00 PM
Zmonkey Zmonkey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post

What is the price per square foot the building was selling for?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #414  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:44 PM
realcity's Avatar
realcity realcity is online now
Bruatalism gets no respec
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Williamsville NY
Posts: 3,760
Look what happened to Thistle Club buildings. The thing is they would oppose this if it was 12 floors, 20 floors. There is no difference on the street with a 40-story tower than 20. I hope Lamb does this. Good news about OMB citing Places to Grow Act for Burlington.
__________________
Height restrictions and Set-backs are for Nimbys and the suburbs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.