HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:24 AM
Haru Urara

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
I see.
Yeah I can see that it's not reasonable to expect to sell 8,000 tickets at those prices.
I also don't think it's reasonable to sell tickets at those prices in Halifax, either, at least not enough to fill the rink.
Halifax and Moncton co-hosting is enough. The big rink is smaller than past big rinks but the small rink is bigger than some past small rinks. Averages out to about the same. Victoria's rink next year is smaller than both Halifax' and Moncton's arenas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
Cities like Moncton (or Halifax for that matter) don't have anywhere near the population and money to support this monstrosity of a tournament without joining together. Maybe 30-40 years ago when the tournament was in its humble infancy, but definitely not today.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Hockey Canada move the tournament to a smaller set of locations following the disasters of Montreal & Toronto. They want to ensure that rinks are full and the atmosphere is there. Saskatoon/Regina is a sweet spot, IMO, but Halifax/Moncton isn't too far off of that. I imagine something like Winnipeg/Brandon is likely in the future, as well.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:46 AM

I read a few news and sports stories after last year's disaster and it sounded like HOckey Canada had learned its lessson. But have they?
One of the stories, I think it was on cbc but I can't find it, listed the revenue they earned from the last several tournies and you could see how it has risen into the multiple millions of dollars.
aRE they willing to forgo all that money? We will see.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:23 PM

I could see Toronto hosting the tournament again. They were getting at least 6-7k at pretty much every games, so it wasnt as catastrophic as Montreal. But definitely with another running mate (London or Hamilton maybe?).

Montreal's pretty much removed from any consideration in the future, but I could see Laval maybe getting some thoughts.

The next time they consider hosting the tournament in Quebec would probably be Quebec City, maybe with Rimouski, or the potential new arena they plan of building in Trois-Rivieres. But that'll only happened after Moncton/Halifax, and probably 2-3 trips in the West Coast IMO.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:05 PM
Haru Urara

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
I could see Toronto hosting the tournament again. They were getting at least 6-7k at pretty much every games, so it wasnt as catastrophic as Montreal. But definitely with another running mate (London or Hamilton maybe?).
Extremely unlikely for the next few tournaments. HC likes to rotate the tournament around as much as possible. London/Kitchener or Hamilton/Niagara would be fun tournaments.

Quote:
Montreal's pretty much removed from any consideration in the future, but I could see Laval maybe getting some thoughts.
I don't see a difference between Montreal and Laval.

Quote:
The next time they consider hosting the tournament in Quebec would probably be Quebec City, maybe with Rimouski, or the potential new arena they plan of building in Trois-Rivieres. But that'll only happened after Moncton/Halifax, and probably 2-3 trips in the West Coast IMO.
It's possible. Depends on what's going on with Quebec's rink in ten years. Quebec could be paired with Victoriaville or Drummondville or both fairly easily.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Extremely unlikely for the next few tournaments. HC likes to rotate the tournament around as much as possible. London/Kitchener or Hamilton/Niagara would be fun tournaments.
I never said for the next few. I said that Toronto is still in the mix to host it, unlike Montreal, which is pretty much done

Quote:
I don't see a difference between Montreal and Laval.
Smaller arena (10k), outside of Montreal (im willing to bet a lot of fans didnt want to go to Mtl because of the traffic, and/or didnt want to use the subway). Plenty of fans of minor league hockey in the north shore (Junior A, Q, AHL). I dont see Laval as the "main" host, but it could definitely play second fiddle to another city

Quote:
It's possible. Depends on what's going on with Quebec's rink in ten years. Quebec could be paired with Victoriaville or Drummondville or both fairly easily.
Unless a team magically goes for sale and Bettman cant do anything to prevent it from moving, the next 10 years in Centre Videotron will probably be all Remparts.

I put Rimouski and Trois-Rivieres in the mix as Rimouski got the bigger venue (5k), and already hosted the Memorial Cup.

As for Trois-Rivieres, their new 4k seats arena is scheduled to be completed by 2019.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces