HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 3:07 AM

A few observations:

Regarding the Saenger construction, it was my understanding that the expansion of the stage-house would only affect Iberville St. Indeed, the building directly behind the Saenger is still standing as of yesterday and from the looks of it, might not be part of the demolition - or at least I hope it isn't, because it has a lot of potential.

Anyway, construction on the building itself seems to be moving along rapidly. I have to admit, it was a bit shocking to see that all of the marquees had been removed. I hope that they are quickly and tastefully replaced. The Joy's marquee has been an extraordinary improvement to Canal Street.

I have also noticed constructing fencing around the Gibbs' Civic Theater. I think that they had applied for a permit recently, but does anyone have any more info on this project?

---
Regarding the airport, I think that once the current renovations are completed, we will have an airport that will be more than sufficient for the time being - November's passenger numbers have actually declined slightly compared to 2010. The current terminal is not an architectural marvel, but without a hub or focus city status, there will simply not be the need for a larger facility or more food options. A lot of people place too much emphasis on the airport itself. When I visit cities, I'm always much more concerned about getting in and out and I think some sort of fast light rail connection to downtown would go a long way toward improving visitors' experiences.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 3:32 PM

Rampart & Bikes for LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl View Post
The VCC has no jurisdiction over there. They are a government entity that only has jurisdiction over the Quarter from one block off Canal to the Quarter side of Rampart.
I know, but they didn't have jurisdiction over 1031 Canal and they still fought it like it was the devil reincarnated. Thankfully they lost that one. I'm just surprised that they didn't try to raise a stink about it even though it's outside their boundaries.

Prokowave: I also noticed yesterday, on a little Sunday drive, that they left that building directly scross Iberville standing, but yet they demolished the building behind that...Makes me think that the demolition is unrelated to the Saegner:

The property across Iberville from the rear of the stage is owned by CER Realty (according to Orleans property records)

http://qpublic4.qpublic.net/la_newor...l_sales+lake#7

The building that was demolished was sold in 8/2011 to Lynn Properties which also owns the parking lot next to it. Hopefully they do something with it:

http://qpublic4.qpublic.net/la_newor..._sales+lake#29

----------

As for bike racks... "we" (Where Ya' Rack) are discussing possibilities with the Friends of Lafitte Corridor (FOLC) and city planners, etc for our bike racks along the corridor itself. It's still pretty preliminary stuff, but I'm sure there will be clusters near shopping areas and I'm sure the merchants and Stirling will figure out they need more than they currently have planned. We're not sure if this is going to be somehow grant related or individually sponsored or if ours will be used at all, but as long as there's bike racks i'm a happy camper. More info on us: http://www.whereyarack.org

Last edited by IceCream; Feb 6, 2012 at 3:44 PM. Reason: add links

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 12:38 AM

Drury Hotel: Day 1 has come I guess. They shut down the parking lot today and brought in a crane. Here is hoping for some decent architecture?

There really is a lot going on down there these days!

Anyone have any other info about the Poydras streetscape project? It got a blurb in this awesome article about trees in the city: http://www.nola.com/environment/inde...dscape_of.html

Love their work with treees and kudos to whereyarack too! Please contact the Poeyfarre market (great small market and exactly what yall were talking about earlier) and get a bike rack. I recommended yall to them.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 12:58 AM
TL;DR

Thank you guys for the bike racks at the Rouses on Tchoup! The situation there is vastly improved - I was unable to use the comb rack they originally provided. It's meant only for child-sized bikes.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 1:31 AM

Six Flags Site

Six Flags redevelopment committee narrows field to upscale outlet mall

A plan to turn the former Six Flags theme park in eastern New Orleans into an upscale outlet mall is the only project still under consideration after a city selection committee created to review redevelopment proposals Monday rejected a plan to reopen the site as a theme park. The joint venture of Provident Realty Advisors and DAG Development, which has proposed building Jazzland Outlet Mall at the abandoned site, will continue on in the selection process and present its plan in a community meeting in eastern New Orleans next month...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...nt_commit.html

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
Six Flags redevelopment committee narrows field to upscale outlet mall

A plan to turn the former Six Flags theme park in eastern New Orleans into an upscale outlet mall is the only project still under consideration after a city selection committee created to review redevelopment proposals Monday rejected a plan to reopen the site as a theme park. The joint venture of Provident Realty Advisors and DAG Development, which has proposed building Jazzland Outlet Mall at the abandoned site, will continue on in the selection process and present its plan in a community meeting in eastern New Orleans next month...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...nt_commit.html
A. The idea is stupid, if an outlet mall couldn't survive in Slidell, it won't survive in the East and

B. Provident is the same bunch of dickheads from Texas who made a federal case (literally) of the apartments that they built in St. Bernard despite widespread local opposition

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 10:05 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
A. The idea is stupid, if an outlet mall couldn't survive in Slidell, it won't survive in the East and

B. Provident is the same bunch of dickheads from Texas who made a federal case (literally) of the apartments that they built in St. Bernard despite widespread local opposition
I don't think St Bernard's stance against multi-family housing is healthy, but that has nothing to do with Provident's completely legal building, or the ridiculous and illegal roadblocks the parish set up to prevent its construction.

As for the outlet mall: I think it's got a decent shot. The Slidell mall failed because Slidell government steered retail development elsewhere and because Dillards had an agreement that any brands they carried could not be sold elsewhere within a given radius. The two Dillards stores at Lake Forest Plaza and North Shore Square conspired to kill the outlet mall.

Now the outlets aim high from the start, so any brands sold there will probably be things only sold at Canal Place or maybe Lakeside, plus the usual crop of cookware and discount leather places. Coach, Sony, Brooks Brothers, etc.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
As for the outlet mall: I think it's got a decent shot. The Slidell mall failed because Slidell government steered retail development elsewhere and because Dillards had an agreement that any brands they carried could not be sold elsewhere within a given radius. The two Dillards stores at Lake Forest Plaza and North Shore Square conspired to kill the outlet mall.

This is absolutely what killed the outlet mall in Slidell. Before Dillards opened shop at Northshore Square, the outlet mall was doing great business. I'm still hoping someone will buy up that property and redevelop it. It's in a great location right off the interstate.

I think the outlet mall in New Orleans East will do well...if only for the fact that you have a large built in middle class population with little in the way of shopping available nearby right now.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 3:04 PM

Drury

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Drury Hotel: Day 1 has come I guess. They shut down the parking lot today and brought in a crane. Here is hoping for some decent architecture?

Anyone have any other info about the Poydras streetscape project? It got a blurb in this awesome article about trees in the city: http://www.nola.com/environment/inde...dscape_of.html

Love their work with treees and kudos to whereyarack too! Please contact the Poeyfarre market (great small market and exactly what yall were talking about earlier) and get a bike rack. I recommended yall to them.
WOOO HOOO DRURY!!! How the hell did I miss that on my commute this morning?!?!!? I guess I was trying to avoid killing the City trashmen who were running in front of me...at least they're actually dumping those public cans. I'll have to take note on the way home.

Thanks for the kind words on the racks. Another shipment of 50 green NOLA ones arrived recently and about half of them should be ready to go in the ground soon, but obviously Mardi Gras is here and that'll delay things both because of traffic and because we'll all be drunk

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 3:20 PM
-

Quote:

Nothing I love more than seeing another surface parking lot go! It will be a much different parking situation downtown once all these lots start closing for South Market District .

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 5:08 PM

Drury plans

What is that smaller building on the back? Is it a parking garage or a part of the new hotel?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 5:48 PM
-

Quote:
What is that smaller building on the back? Is it a parking garage or a part of the new hotel?
I think its additional rooms and street level retail to wrap around the parking structure.

Also, development is clearly picking up steam on OC Haley.

http://1029ochaley.com/

Last edited by tennis1400; Feb 7, 2012 at 6:03 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 7:19 PM

Drury / OCHaley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I think its additional rooms and street level retail to wrap around the parking structure.

Also, development is clearly picking up steam on OC Haley.

http://1029ochaley.com/
Interesting...this is actually on the CBD side of the expressway next to the Archdiocese. Glad to see a vacant building turned around!!!

Drove by Drury on the way to lunch and yep, big pile driver on site. Glad to see surface parking go too!! This will be a fun build because it's on my morning commute. How do i post pictures that I take with my iPhone? I'd be happy to do so when there's something to update, but i don't have a clue how to post those to the forum.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 7:20 PM
TL;DR

Site planning fail. Put the building on the damn corner and the parking lot mid-block!

Oops: existing building. Never mind.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 7:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Site planning fail. Put the building on the damn corner and the parking lot mid-block!
They tried to make them do that... but they insisted on the parking at the front. I agree with you but its still going to be a big improvemnt over what is there. Sorry thought you were talking about Drury. Yeah not many people realize OC Haley runs to the Plaza Tower basically.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
How do i post pictures that I take with my iPhone? I'd be happy to do so when there's something to update, but i don't have a clue how to post those to the forum.
1. Take picture on iPhone.

2. Either email picture to yourself OR connect wire from Iphone to computer and save picture to your computer.

3. Sign up for a Flickr.com account.

4. Upload saved picture from computer to Flickr account.

5. When you see your picture on Flickr, right-click over the picture and choose "properties".

6. Highlight the link next to the word "Address:" It should begin with something like "http://farm8.staticflickr.com..." and right-click copy.

7. Come to this forum, click the button to post a message, click the little button that looks like a postcard with mountains that says insert image, and paste the address you just copied from Flickr.

Last edited by Blitzen; Feb 7, 2012 at 7:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 7:54 PM

OCH Building

Wow. I was stating at this building just this morning and was thinking that it had good prospects. Talk about fast action...

Anyone know who bought the lot "catty corner" to this on the other side of the overpass (next to the New Orleans Mission)?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Wow. I was stating at this building just this morning and was thinking that it had good prospects. Talk about fast action...

Anyone know who bought the lot "catty corner" to this on the other side of the overpass (next to the New Orleans Mission)?
New Orleans Mission Expansion.
Found it. There's some pictures of the expansion on the video:
http://www.wwltv.com/news/consumer/A...137516718.html

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 2:44 AM

2 bits of good news:

-Texaco building renovation begins in April, finishes Summer 2013.
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...egin-in-april/

-Lakefront Airport is getting 3 new hangers, to be finished before the Super Bowl.
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...13-super-bowl/

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 3:49 AM
Khurram Parvaz

It still puzzles me that New Orleans a city of such caliber doesn't have a 1000 footer. The Superdome, is taller than most buildings (not that it's a bad thing). Trump came pretty close though.

TAKE FIVE - Dave Brubeck

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations