HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 4:47 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Now the CT Centre is one of the older professional arenas out there ...
CTC opened in 1996...

For comparison:

Saddledome (Calgary): 1983
United Center (Chicago): 1993
Rogers Arena (Vancouver): 1995
TD Garden (Boston): 1995
Bell Centre (Montreal): 1996
KeyBank (Buffalo): 1996
Wells Fargo (Chicago): 1996
ACC (Toronto): 1999

Not really sure what you're comparing it to when you say it's one of the older ones.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 4:51 PM

Since we're talking about the mostly senior STH base and their related health issues, I did some distance measuring on Google maps to see just how far they would have to walk even if there was a parking solution for them.

Currently from the front door of the Coliseum to the furthest corner of the main parking lot is about 250-300m. Keep in mind most don't actually have to go this far as there is a designated lot in behind the Coliseum for STH that is only maybe 50m. I believe they also have priority in the main lot as well.

For downtown, from the front door to the large lot directly across the tracks, if you have to go around under the subway is about 500-750m depending how far deep in the lot you have to go.

If you cross right over the tracks its about 225m to the center of the lot.

From the front doors to the 1234 Main lot is about the same - 225m.

From the front doors to the Sobeys lot is about 400m as the crow flies.

To the large lot at Foundry/Record highlighted on HanSoloCup's map is about 750m.

Even the best (albeit not feasible at the moment) hypothetical solution - crossing over the tracks to the large lot or going to the 1234 lot is still going to be 4 or 5 times further for them than they have to walk now. There's not going to be any way around that.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
CTC opened in 1996...

For comparison:

Saddledome (Calgary): 1983
United Center (Chicago): 1993
Rogers Arena (Vancouver): 1995
TD Garden (Boston): 1995
Bell Centre (Montreal): 1996
KeyBank (Buffalo): 1996
Wells Fargo (Chicago): 1996
ACC (Toronto): 1999

Not really sure what you're comparing it to when you say it's one of the older ones.
I was waffling between saying "Older" and "Middle aged" ones since I was too lazy to look up the stats. I decided on "Older" since it is about to be replaced; though its life has probably been artificially shortened due to its location.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 5:21 PM

According to Francois Leblanc (Radio-Canada), Moncton will try for Brier 2020.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 5:30 PM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
Since we're talking about the mostly senior STH base and their related health issues, I did some distance measuring on Google maps to see just how far they would have to walk even if there was a parking solution for them.

Currently from the front door of the Coliseum to the furthest corner of the main parking lot is about 250-300m. Keep in mind most don't actually have to go this far as there is a designated lot in behind the Coliseum for STH that is only maybe 50m. I believe they also have priority in the main lot as well.

For downtown, from the front door to the large lot directly across the tracks, if you have to go around under the subway is about 500-750m depending how far deep in the lot you have to go.

If you cross right over the tracks its about 225m to the center of the lot.

From the front doors to the 1234 Main lot is about the same - 225m.

From the front doors to the Sobeys lot is about 400m as the crow flies.

To the large lot at Foundry/Record highlighted on HanSoloCup's map is about 750m.

Even the best (albeit not feasible at the moment) hypothetical solution - crossing over the tracks to the large lot or going to the 1234 lot is still going to be 4 or 5 times further for them than they have to walk now. There's not going to be any way around that.

Still better than the 4200 meters to my house. When is UBER getting here?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I was waffling between saying "Older" and "Middle aged" ones since I was too lazy to look up the stats. I decided on "Older" since it is about to be replaced; though its life has probably been artificially shortened due to its location.
It was certainly built with the old mentality of building such facilities in suburban settings.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 8:09 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
Still better than the 4200 meters to my house. When is UBER getting here?
As someone living in Riverview were you honestly expecting an arena across the street from your house? I imagine NIMBYs would have denied most locations in the town and all others would be far too suburban to be any better than the Coliseum. Speaking of, how far away is the Coliseum from most of Riverview in comparison to the new events centre?

Uber is there when Moncton's population quintuples and becomes less suburban.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:21 AM

To answer your question the Colisieum is 8-15 Minutes Drive from Riverview

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 10:59 AM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
As someone living in Riverview were you honestly expecting an arena across the street from your house?
I'm serious when I say I'll walk the 45 minute walk from Riverview instead of driving for only 6 minutes and then wasting another hour to find a parking spot without a booter or walking 30 minutes from Champlain anyway.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 2:03 PM

Been reading a lot of comments on the parking situation, I think what most people dread the most is the change. Don’t get me wrong, everyone is happy about the new center but humans a creature of habit and this move changes our habits.

Lots is in the unknown about the parking situation as term of what will be available, where and how many spots and i think that fuels the “into the unknown” feeling that most of us hate because we cannot plan for it.

Sure it might not have as many spots as the old coliseum, you wont be able to park 50 meters from the doors and most of us find that really incovenient but at the same time, none of us would of wanted the new center to be the new neigbour of Moncton high just to get parking.

What I’m sure of is the we will adapt, we will find ways to counter this problem. The event center is slated to open in the fall so something will be in place by then. Will it suit everyone? Of course not! So people will find new solutions.

I see more people using public transit to get to and from the event center, People will gather before the game and carpool from someones home to the center, people will even.....walk! We will all find something that works for us and in a year from now, we will be used to it and forget the old ways.

I think this move will change a lot of the “park in front of the door or don’t go” mentality that is present in most of New Brunswick. Moncton is becoming more and more urbanised and this mentality has to change soon and if we wait for people to change the mentality, we will still be there in 20 years, so if you want it to change sooner, well sometimes you have to provoke things for the change to take place and this change will benefit the city as a whole.

So all of this to say, we will find a way to make it work.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:44 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
I'm serious when I say I'll walk the 45 minute walk from Riverview instead of driving for only 6 minutes and then wasting another hour to find a parking spot without a booter or walking 30 minutes from Champlain anyway.
Part of the reasoning for having the Events Centre downtown is to encourage people nearby to walk/bike/transit to it, so it's good to hear you'll be taking part in that.

For those curious, went to a Sens game last night in Kanata. 45 minute drive in traffic and $30 for parking.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:16 AM

Cost for private boxes

8 person private box = $55,000/yr.
- Includes all events.
- Does not include food or beverages
- Every additional person must purchase ticket to the event.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutDog View Post
8 person private box = $55,000/yr.
- Includes all events.
- Does not include food or beverages
- Every additional person must purchase ticket to the event.
I hope to god that’s not the price they are going with, if so good luck selling any! Unless that includes concerts etc.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:49 AM

1 club seat = $1,200/yr.
- includes 34 Wildcats home games
- Full service at your seat
- Full access to club lounge

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 4:19 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutDog View Post
1 club seat = $1,200/yr.
- includes 34 Wildcats home games
- Full service at your seat
- Full access to club lounge
Pretty pricey. Maybe if they threw in free parking too.......

I'm the sort of person that might consider purchasing a club seat, but $1200 per year, not including playoff games or the cost of parking is getting up there. The total cost for a season of Wildcats hockey at the club seat level will easily top $2000. That's getting too rich for me.

I'll wait and see what a regular seasons ticket will cost (and the cost of a parking pass) before deciding on what I'll do next year. It has been decided however that I won't be getting a club seat package anyway......

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 8:59 AM

Same price for all? Well if ppl are interested, they better move fast getting the best one, as some of them:

1) will be right in front of the side of the stage, so probably obstructed by stage equipment.
2)will be unavailable if they used only half of the centre

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 11:20 AM

From what I was told, only seven boxes remain. Two will be available to purchase, event to event.
The club seats will be gobbled up by the corporate community wanting to treat their clients. They will go FAST.

Also, I have a friend with a successful local business. They are debating whether buy a box or use their money to buy up advertising in the new building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
Same price for all? Well if ppl are interested, they better move fast getting the best one, as some of them:

1) will be right in front of the side of the stage, so probably obstructed by stage equipment.
2)will be unavailable if they used only half of the centre

Last edited by ScoutDog; Feb 10, 2018 at 11:35 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 11:41 AM

$5,500.00 a year is not bad IF it is every event, Irving oil buys 1 box, Midland buys 1 box, Atlantic Lotto buys a Box or whoever, I can see them selling fast. 5,500.00 is a lot to 99% of us forum users and my 60 grand Salary. The boxes are normally ARE BOUGHT marketed to business clients not the family of 4.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 1:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

$55,000 for an eight seat corporate box is $6,875 per person.

That's not so bad when you consider that it's an "all event" ticket including concerts and shows. Also, it's not for nothing that these are called "corporate boxes", which means that the cost is a tax write-off (promotions). The actual cost for the corporation therefore is probably more like $4,000 per seat, and could generate considerable goodwill for the company.

I remain more concerned about the $1,200/seat cost for the club seating. ScoutDog may be correct and some of these may be bought up by corporate types too, but for regular fans of the Wildcats, the costs of a club seat is getting pretty steep.

- $1,200 for 34 Wildcats home games = $35.50 per game
- Assuming parking will be $5-10 per night brings the cost up to $40.50 - 45.50 per game

Don't forget that playoff ticket packages are a significant fraction of the cost of a seasons ticket, so I'm estimating that a playoff ticket package will likely be on the order of $500-600 (conservative)

In total for a full season of hockey (regular season and playoffs) including parking, the cost for club seating for a Wildcats fan will likely be on the order of $1,877 - $2,147 (not including the added expense of playoff parking and incidental expenses like game programmes, 50/50 and the odd hot dog)

A season of Wildcats hockey at the club seat level therefore may cost over $2,500. Too rich for most people. I'm very interested to see the final pricing for general admission seating.......

Last edited by MonctonRad; Feb 10, 2018 at 3:14 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 1:22 PM

$55,000/yr. not $5,500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
$5,500.00 a year is not bad IF it is every event, Irving oil buys 1 box, Midland buys 1 box, Atlantic Lotto buys a Box or whoever, I can see them selling fast. 5,500.00 is a lot to 99% of us forum users and my 60 grand Salary. The boxes are normally ARE BOUGHT marketed to business clients not the family of 4.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces