HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 3:01 AM

I know townhomes are being built all over the Intown area and there are probably too many projects to even list but one that i just found online is Lullwater Park in Virginia Highlands. Should be 50 ultra luxury townhomes and manor houses.
Also, not in Atlanta but Inside the Perimeter, The Artisan II condos (7-8 floor?) are UC in Decatur, and arent there some fairly cool projects going up in and around Atlanta rd., Grant Park, Chamblee, and in the CampCreek parkway area of South Atlanta, not to forget College Park and East Point.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
I like the Moreland one, but the Ponce development is awful for that site (and I say this as somebody who LOVES modern design). It just sticks out like a sore thumb. They should have at least matched the materials of the adjacent homes in some way, even if the building retained the same form.
I first went back and forth on the context issue with those too. There's some newish condos on the corner there that are more traditional brick.

I think you could almost make the argument though that theres' really no context to work with on that stretch. Most of the houses are crap through there. You do have that great church across the street. Some of that beige brick might have worked nicely in this new buidling with the copper.

That church though does have that beautful green copper dome/roof - I wonder if that actually inspired the front of the new building?

However when I really thought about it, the townhouses on the corner blend in to the point where they're actually sort of boring. Then there's that AWFUL condo on the othe corner that tries to be a loft building and fit into the architectural style of the area - and fails miserably.

The architect could probably make a case that he's bouncing off of the Plaza.

But you know if that Ponce building and the one on Moreland weren't a little "adventurous" we wouldn't even notice twice or be talking about them.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
I first went back and forth on the context issue with those too. There's some newish condos on the corner there that are more traditional brick.

I think you could almost make the argument though that theres' really no context to work with on that stretch. Most of the houses are crap through there. You do have that great church across the street. Some of that beige brick might have worked nicely in this new buidling with the copper.

That church though does have that beautful green copper dome/roof - I wonder if that actually inspired the front of the new building?

However when I really thought about it, the townhouses on the corner blend in to the point where they're actually sort of boring. Then there's that AWFUL condo on the othe corner that tries to be a loft building and fit into the architectural style of the area - and fails miserably.

The architect could probably make a case that he's bouncing off of the Plaza.

But you know if that Ponce building and the one on Moreland weren't a little "adventurous" we wouldn't even notice twice or be talking about them.

I honestly don't mean this to be gratitously snide, but talking about "context" in Atlanta is a little...'optimistic.' WHAT CONTEXT??? This is a city where they're going to plop a 'batteries-not-included' McMonument with NO link to native history, context or even design in the middle of a New Urbanist work-live-play community (and I actually like AS).

Seriously, if Atlanta can claim to have any style, it better be "eclecticism" or "postmodernism" in which context is the least of your concerns. Maybe that's not a bad thing, and I think Midtown is showing how it can be done fairly well, but I think the "context train" left the station long ago...

I personally like Plexus on Ponce--it (and the church) gives the eye something to alight upon on this pretty eclectic stretch of Ponce.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 2:39 PM

Slightly off topic, but I had to do some stuff in the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area yesterday and it is amazing how many low and midrise projects have been built and are now being built there. Although none of them knock my socks off architecturally I will have to say they are pretty nice. I'm increasingly beginning to think of that area as an extension of Atlanta's urban core. They did their skyscrapers in the 80s, I guess, so now you see the infill coming.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 3:49 PM
Google Steffen Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Yeah, Curious - They've been fighting it tooth and nail. I have heard: "It's too tall, it will bring in national retail (it's already there), it's too dense, traffic will be awful (it already is)", etc.

I guess they think that nasty surface lot is more charming.

They are presently raising funds for attorney fees to fight it to death. I guess these folks think they live in Mayberry.
Damn nimbys. There are alot of people that just don't want any change unless it is to remove buildings for passive "green space".....and if that happens, don't install lighting (as it will encourage organized events) or benches (as it will encourage homeless sleepers). The NPU system is over-democratized IMO and seems to encourage participation by the angry, suspicious and paranoid....
On a positive note, this is a great thread.....

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 5:11 PM

They started demolition on the old National Linen building at 525 Glen Iris. From what I can find it's supposed to be a 338 unit mixed use project called Alta Glen Iris but I don't see a website or picture anywhere online.

Anybody know what it's supposed to look like?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 6:14 PM

525 glen iris

Hello,

It's my understanding that the National Linen building will rise approx. 5-7 stories. That seems to be the only way to get 300 plus units in a footprint that size...

"Alta Glen Iris LLC" is the partnership behind this project. Recently I found a city zoning application for this project online, in which the structure was referred to as "The Fourth" on glen iris.

The entire north side of Dallas street has been or is being RAZED!

I would like to se a rendering as well. Hopefully will be able to post soon.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 7:09 PM

^Doesn't Alta usually build bland, suburban style apts?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacala View Post
^Doesn't Alta usually build bland, suburban style apts?
No, only in suburbs. And it's not Alta, it's Wood Partners. Alta is a brand name. Even so, this project is now called The Fourth because it's in the Old Fourth Ward and next to the Future North Avenue/Old Fourth Ward Park.

It's actually going to be quite nice. I did the zoning for it and my office is doing the streetscape design work.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 10:06 PM

Terminus,

that is cool. would you happen to know if any site plans exist for "the fourth"? or any idea how big this is going to be?

I own property on Dallas St.. and you can't imagine how thrilled I was to see those backhoes show up Monday.

Thanks

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 10:09 PM

525 glen iris

Terminus,

that is cool. would you happen to know if any site plans exist for "the fourth"? or any idea how big this is going to be?

I own property on Dallas St.. and you can't imagine how thrilled I was to see those backhoes show up Monday.

Thanks

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 10:34 PM
Novice RealEstate Magnate

Where is the North Ave. park going to be located?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 3:40 PM

In the Business Chronicle article on the Westown development that'll have 1,450 homes, they list several other westside projects that total more than 5,200 housing units and more than 500,000 sf of retail.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
In the Business Chronicle article on the Westown development that'll have 1,450 homes, they list several other westside projects that total more than 5,200 housing units and more than 500,000 sf of retail.
I love all this low and midrise stuff. That's what will turn this town into a bona fide city.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 4:19 PM

I totally agree, Andrea.

When I saw the renederings in the BC print edition on Friday, I was wondering/hoping that Terminus' firm had a hand in this. That whole area is about to totally explode!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 7:40 PM
Spire-ite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I love all this low and midrise stuff. That's what will turn this town into a bona fide city.
Absolutely. I also think that is one aspect of the spine-like development of the city that is great. Unlike many other major cities where you get the core and rings around it, you can have upstart and smaller neighborhoods that are very close to the spine all the way along it. Just look at Collier Hills, the Highlands, etc. All very close to Peachtree but distinctly neighborhood-ish.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 9:28 PM

Anyone know what's going on at the NE corner of Irwin and Randolph, in the Old Fourth Ward? A couple of years ago, an old store was torn down and an apparent live/work space built in its place. There's been no activity at all, though, since then. It seems like a few other properties along that stretch are ripe to be rebuilt as well.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandynole View Post
Anyone know what's going on at the NE corner of Irwin and Randolph, in the Old Fourth Ward? A couple of years ago, an old store was torn down and an apparent live/work space built in its place. There's been no activity at all, though, since then. It seems like a few other properties along that stretch are ripe to be rebuilt as well.
It's for sale.

We're doing the redevelopment of StudioPlex via the addition of 183 homes, a 450 seat theater (True Colors), a very small amount of new retail/restaurant space, and a completion repositioning of the existing mill building.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 9:27 PM

This afternoon, I drove by the Auburn Avenue development currently under construction. It was extremely impressive; felt very urban. It looked like they were incorporating existing, historic storefronts into the new building, which was really cool.

This project doesn't get much pub, but could be one of Atlanta's best non-highrise developments in recent years.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 9:32 PM

^Totally agree!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta