HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
...won't that possible future marta extension run right through this?
That is of course if MARTA's dedicated 1% sales tax gets approved and even then is still several years off from being completed with no guarantee that a station will be located near this development. I'm just trying to think realistically about this project before I develop an opinion.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 1:30 PM
Development Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
This Roswell project is getting huge... Roswell will need to do something, Alpharetta will do it if not and Roswell will lose out entirely.
I think Alpharetta already beat you to it. Although it is smaller, they have an urbanization plan:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I could see plans like this Roswell development being the wave of the future in Atlanta. Instead of trying to create one big central city and complex transportation systems, maybe we will grow by just creating lots of smaller urban areas. That is, instead of trying to drag people to the city, bring the amenities of the city to the people.
Wave of the future? Isn't that what has been happening for the past 30 years. That's exactly what the Perimeter Center and the Cumberland Districts are. For this to occur, however, suburban sprawl must have already occurred. Instead of seeing these as new developments (along with some plans in Gwinnett County) I see them as natural extensions of sprawl. I'm not saying sprawl is good, only that when you have a suburban county or two getting close to 1 million residents, its hard not to look at the area and see future urban development.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daharris80 View Post
Wave of the future? Isn't that what has been happening for the past 30 years. That's exactly what the Perimeter Center and the Cumberland Districts are. For this to occur, however, suburban sprawl must have already occurred. Instead of seeing these as new developments (along with some plans in Gwinnett County) I see them as natural extensions of sprawl. I'm not saying sprawl is good, only that when you have a suburban county or two getting close to 1 million residents, its hard not to look at the area and see future urban development.
Well, yeah, but I'm thinking smaller scale than gigantic edge cities like Perimeter and Cumberland. Something more along the lines of Atlantic Station and this Roswell development, which can be "fitted into" an already developed suburban area. I like what they're doing in Smyrna, for instance, and of course Decatur is arguably the most livable part of Atlanta.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 1:42 PM

A suburba/exurban city center that is really urbanizing TODAY is Downtown Woodstock. It's absolutely amazing what is happening there.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
A suburba/exurban city center that is really urbanizing TODAY is Downtown Woodstock. It's absolutely amazing what is happening there.
I 100% fully agree with him there. Check out "Downtown Woodstock" on the website of a builder/developer named Hedgewood Homes to get a general idea of what is going on there. Also check out the DRI Reviews for "Breezy Hill Farm" and "Woodstock West" on the ARC's website.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 11:04 PM

How do people feel about edge cities in general? (Perimeter Center, I-75 and I-285, etc) Do you think that they add more to the city as a whole than they take away from the center? I can look at this in two ways, one way is that the removal of density from the center makes it harder for a strong urban environment to exist in the urban core. The second way it to think of an edge city in the same way that Jane Jacobs speaks of urban amenities such as parks and cultural venues, that their density should be spread around to strengthen the whole. While this is a tangent from her concept, in the case of Atlanta, where edge cities are common would this be considered valid?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 3:37 AM

How much taller is Aqua than Plaza Midtown, because from the highway Aqua appears to tower over PM. Is the elevation really that dramatic or is it just that much taller???

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 4:33 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Huge Roswell project faces hurdles

By PAUL KAPLAN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 04/01/07

Charlie Brown retired three years ago at 65 and installed his son Scott as head of his development company in Atlanta.

The time off didn't last long. Brown got a call 2 1/2 years ago from an outfit that owns 107 prized acres along Ga. 400 at the Chattahoochee River. It wanted to take down an old apartment complex in Roswell and do something big with the land.

Brown knows big — he was a driving force behind Atlantic Station in Midtown Atlanta — and the plan he came up with was the $2.1 billion Roswell East mixed-use development. It would be the biggest project ever built on the Northside.

"I've come back off the bench," Brown said.

But not everyone in the crowd is cheering. Roswell East has touched off a communitywide debate over what sort of development is appropriate in the suburbs, and at what level of density.

Brown wants to build a mini-city anchored by 19 mid-rise and high-rise buildings. That density is needed to incorporate the level of green space and open space that suburbanites demand, Brown says.

Roswell has no high-rises, however, and four members of the six-member City Council have expressed deep reservations about the level of density Brown is proposing. If those four vote no, Brown's plan is dead.

One conspiracy theory making the rounds is that Brown and Mayor Jere Wood will delay the City Council's consideration of the mixed-use community until after the November elections.

Two of the council members who have taken shots at Roswell East are up for re-election. If voters replace them with new council members who support Brown's project, Wood will have enough support to push it through — or so the thinking goes.

Is Brown planning such a delay?

"Absolutely not," he said. "We want the present council to make a decision on this. We're talking about May or June."

Whenever Brown brings his project forward, it will be a defining moment for the city and its leaders.

"This year is a crossroads, and people are going to have to decide which way they want to go," said City Councilman David Tolleson. "It's being exacerbated by the fact that it's an election year. That's really what's driving the rhetoric. Where we will go as a city will be decided in November."

Brown said that as the community gets all the facts about his project, the support will grow, and the elected leaders will follow.

Brown needs at least a 3-3 split on the council to allow Mayor Wood — one of the project's strongest supporters — to break the tie and approve Roswell East.

But Wood said it would be a mistake to assume Brown has his vote. Wood is a big proponent of mixed-use development, and he has called Brown a "visionary," but Wood also is a savvy politician.

He loves being mayor, and he won't risk it all if he senses that the community does not support the project.

"Charlie has my support of the project, but he doesn't have my vote yet," Wood said. "That's conditioned on community support, and I don't know where they stand yet."

Wood also says he won't vote for Roswell East unless the project is built in conjunction with a major overhaul of the interchange at Ga. 400 and Holcomb Bridge Road.

That will cost millions and is not on the Atlanta Regional Commission's list of priority road projects.

Brown said he hopes to get the mayor's and council's support for his project when there's an "indication" the road money could be coming.

That's not good enough, Wood said. "I can't support his project unless I have a commitment for the money. That doesn't mean money in the bank, but I need a funding mechanism. A possibility is not going to get it."

Wood is trying to get the money from every source possible — the city, the state and the federal government.

But he has no illusions about getting the project done completely with outside funding. He said Roswell may have to help pay for it, and Brown's team could have to pony up, too.

Brown thinks Wood will get the road money. "It's possible because the lead is being taken by the local government, and because it affects the region," Brown said, ticking off six counties whose residents use the intersecting roads — Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb, Cherokee, Forsyth and DeKalb.

"That interchange serves more people with less capacity than any road around," Brown said.

Wood chuckled when he heard that Brown wants to bring his plan to the City Council within a month or two. He doesn't think it's remotely possible before late summer, and maybe not until much further out than that.

"Right now I don't have a plan that I know will work, and I don't have funding," Wood said. "I'm confident we can find the funding if we have the political will. But it may take years, and if it takes years, we may lose the project."

Brown shrugs at the thought of Roswell East going down the tubes — and himself going back into retirement.

"Win some, lose some," he said. "That's the way it is."

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 5:22 AM

How much would it cost, minus ROW, for a interchange to be added on the southside at riverside rd?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 12:26 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBlaxican View Post
How much taller is Aqua than Plaza Midtown, because from the highway Aqua appears to tower over PM. Is the elevation really that dramatic or is it just that much taller???
6 floors, plus it's up a little bit higher.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin356 View Post
How much would it cost, minus ROW, for a interchange to be added on the southside at riverside rd?
There can't be an interchange there because it's too close to the Holcomb Bridge Road Interchange (~0.9 miles). This is GDOT's policy (corresponding to federal guidelines) on interchange spacing:

a. Minimum spacing of one (1) mile in urban areas with an average spacing of two (2) miles, or

b. Minimum spacing of two (2) miles in suburban areas with an average spacing of four (4) miles, or

c. Minimum spacing of two (2) miles in rural areas with an average spacing of eight (8) miles.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
There can't be an interchange there because it's too close to the Holcomb Bridge Road Interchange (~0.9 miles). This is GDOT's policy (corresponding to federal guidelines) on interchange spacing:

a. Minimum spacing of one (1) mile in urban areas with an average spacing of two (2) miles, or

b. Minimum spacing of two (2) miles in suburban areas with an average spacing of four (4) miles, or

c. Minimum spacing of two (2) miles in rural areas with an average spacing of eight (8) miles.
They could do a Steve Reynolds Blvd style interchange there, northbound offramp, southbound onramp to 400, without impeding Holcomb Br.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
They could do a Steve Reynolds Blvd style interchange there, northbound offramp, southbound onramp to 400, without impeding Holcomb Br.
Doubt it would happen since it clearly violates standards. Btw, a "Steve Reynolds Blvd style" interchange is called a half-diamond interchange.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 1:37 PM
(Oo=vw=oO) .:R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner

Doubt it would happen since it clearly violates standards. Btw, a "Steve Reynolds Blvd style" interchange is called a half-diamond interchange.
Now you got me curious about this minimum spacing requirement. What about Howell Mill Rd & Northside Dr and all the interchanges on the downtown connector?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuspunk View Post
Now you got me curious about this minimum spacing requirement. What about Howell Mill Rd & Northside Dr and all the interchanges on the downtown connector?
I'm not sure when this policy was adopted but it's clearly violated in the places you mention. Now you know why traffic is so bad there.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 2:19 PM
Urban Explorer

For those of you who have been upset by the dearth of project announcements in the past few weeks, you may want to check this out:

http://midtownatlanta.org/net/conten...=50234.0.53.35

These are the minutes from the Midtown Neighbor's Association's monthly land use meeting (which was held on March 26). Item B in the minutes is particularly interesting...

Did anyone actually go to this meeting? I'd like to know if anyone saw a rendering...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
6 floors, plus it's up a little bit higher.
No. Aqua is 25 floors and it doesn't have a 13th floor. PM is 20 floors and it does have a 13th floor. Aqua is on a higher eleavtion.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 2:48 PM
Wahoo Wah

Quote:
I'm not sure when this policy was adopted but it's clearly violated in the places you mention. Now you know why traffic is so bad there.
With the use of collector-distributor roads, I'm pretty sure interchanges can be built closer together.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
With the use of collector-distributor roads, I'm pretty sure interchanges can be built closer together.
Yes, you're correct. Here's what the policy says about that:

"In urban or suburban areas with high-density development and/or complex transportation features, use of grade-separated ramps or collector-distributor roads may be considered to manage safety and other operational difficulties associated with proposed interchanges not meeting the minimum spacing guideline."

Although I still think the Roswell development will have opposition since an interchange at Riverside Road is not part of ARC's RTP.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
For those of you who have been upset by the dearth of project announcements in the past few weeks, you may want to check this out:

http://midtownatlanta.org/net/conten...=50234.0.53.35

These are the minutes from the Midtown Neighbor's Association's monthly land use meeting (which was held on March 26). Item B in the minutes is particularly interesting...

Did anyone actually go to this meeting? I'd like to know if anyone saw a rendering...
54 floors? That going to be a really slim, tall tower. Nice!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta