HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

SLS Hotel & Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Miami Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 7:08 PM
Community Guy

EDMONTON | Hendrix | ~92m | 29 Storeys

OPEN HOUSE INVITATION TO ADJACENT PROPERTY OWNERS

DATE: Wednesday, June 26, 2013
TIME: 7:00 – 9:00 pm
9844 – 110 Street, Edmonton

Amendment to the Oliver Area Redevelopment Plan (Bylaw 11618 ) and the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw (Bylaw 12800) from (DC1 – Area 2) Direct Control Provision to (DC1 – Area 13) Direct Control Provision for the site located at 9733 to 9749 – 111 Street.

ParioPlan Incorporated, in association with Dialog and Bunt & Associates, has been retained by Edgar Development Corp to amend the Oliver Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP) Bylaw 11618 and rezone the 0.28 hectare (0.69 acre) site located at 9733 to 9749 – 111 Street, shown on the map on the reverse side.

You are invited to an Open House to view plans for the site and speak to project representatives before applications to amend the Oliver ARP and rezone the site are submitted to the City. The following are highlights of the applications:

The proposal is to build a 252 unit apartment high rise with rowhousing at the base.

The John T. Ross Residence, a Designated Municipal Historic Resource, will be preserved and integrated into the redevelopment.

The tower is a tall slim tower of 29 storeys with a small floor plate of less than 605 square metres (6,500 square feet) to minimize sun/shadow impacts on adjacent developments.
The proposed maximum Floor Area Ratio (FAR) is 6.5. FAR in the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw (Bylaw 12800) means the numerical value of the Floor Area of the building or structure relative to the Site upon which it is located, excluding: (a) Basement areas used exclusively for storage or service to the building; (b) parking areas below grade; (c) walkways required by the Development Officer; and (d) Floor Areas devoted exclusively to mechanical or electrical equipment servicing the development, divided by the area of the site.

The site is located in close proximity to the Grandin LRT Station and subject to the City Council approved Transit Oriented Design (TOD) Guidelines which concentrate housing, shopping and employment along walkable and bikeable streets within a five-minute walk (or 400 metres) in any direction of a transit station.

The proposed plan provides 224 underground parking stalls on 3 levels and 21 stalls at grade.

The proposed DC1 provisions include the following uses: Apartment Housing; Minor Home Based Business; Professional, Financial and Office Support Services, excluding telephone answering and loan offices or any accessory drive through operation, and not exceeding a gross floor area of 200 square metres; Residential Sales Centre, for the sale of onsite condominium units and leasing of commercial uses; Row Housing, including Stacked Row Housing; Single-Detached Housing; Fascia On-premises Signs; Freestanding On-premises Signs; Restaurants, 150 occupants or less and a maximum of 180 square metres of public space; Specialty Food Services, 100 occupants or less and a maximum of 120 square metres of public space; Temporary Signs, limited to project advertising and residential sale purposes only, and excluding trailer mounted signs/or signs with changeable copy; General Retail Stores.

Should you have questions or concerns please contact Patrick Barker, Senior Planner at ParioPlan at (780) 423-6824 or email: patrick@parioplan.com

We look forward to seeing you at the Open House.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 10:06 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Obviously, no renderings yet... But I do believe at the height proposed this tower would poke through what has been traditionally lower high-rises because of the Airport Overlay and the N-S Runway that was but a few km from the site... So curious to see what is in store...

Btw, whatever happened to that Mel Hurtig log cabin site? I believe it was for a 27 or 29 story narrow point tower... Did the city ever make a ruling on that one?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 1:52 PM
Community Guy

'Hendrix' - 29 storeys - Rental - 98ave/111st

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 1:52 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
Obviously, no renderings yet... But I do believe at the height proposed this tower would poke through what has been traditionally lower high-rises because of the Airport Overlay and the N-S Runway that was but a few km from the site... So curious to see what is in store...

Btw, whatever happened to that Mel Hurtig log cabin site? I believe it was for a 27 or 29 story narrow point tower... Did the city ever make a ruling on that one?
That it would, much like the Pearl out to the west.

Still has a proposed development on it. Not yet I dont think.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 2:07 AM

Unspectacular overall, but rather nice for Edmonton...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 4:37 PM
Community Guy

^nothing amazing no, but your second comment is disgraceful and disrespectful.

fuck

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 7:06 PM
Resident Moron

The building itself could be nice enough given good materials...

that base though. What were they thinking?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 9:27 PM
Community Guy

^base will be much better than you think... modern townhouses. That pitched roof is a protected historic building that will be incorporated.

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...48543363_n.jpg)

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 2:47 AM

I don't know why the haters? This building could look quite classy given the right materials. I am hoping that the white on the sides is not painted concrete but rather white cladding. Unfortunately it being a rental it will probably be painted concrete.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 6:31 AM

I'm not a hater, simply realistic...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 3:17 PM
Community Guy

Painted concrete, if maintained, can look very good IMO.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 3:21 PM

Absolutely! I'm not arguing with you there... In fact, I'm not arguing with you at all.. My point had you bothered to find it, is that it's naive to expect stunning high-rise architecture in Edmonton, given our history and place in the world. I am not a "hater" simply someone who has lived in the Edmonton region for nearly 30 years and knows what to expect from our development community...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 3:24 PM
DRINK

They can't all be winners reallying on $450/sqft rates to build it. If this is the standard that is being set for rental buildings....i think that is VERY promising.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 3:28 PM

Agreed! For what it is, a concrete rental, it's nice! I'm not doubting that for one moment... And yes, the economics of the project are obviously going to dictate form, which is why Edmonton looks like it does... Which is my point entirely! If you want to call me a "hater" for pointing out the obvious, fine, but don't for a moment doubt that I am not 100% loyal to my hometown...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 3:29 PM

Having said that, are there any real "winners" in that site aerial? If so, please point one out besides this project...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 4:21 PM
Community Guy

^other than 2 buildings, everything else is from the 60s-70s pretty much...

Grandin Green ain't bad.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 5:59 PM

Looks alright. It'll be nice to add some more rental stock.

Looks almost the same as the Bentall proposal for Calgary which is a rental tower as well.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 6:34 PM
Community Guy

The Hendrix

A 29 story LEED Silver residential tower is proposed for the site, with a two story podium consisting of street oriented row housing. The historic John T. Ross Residence will be preserved and shall be a determining factor in the scale, form and materiality of the row houses that front onto 111th Street and 98th Avenue.

The Hendrix is currently going through the entitlement process.

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3727/9...0708fea3_c.jpg)

(http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2817/9...224275c9_c.jpg)

http://edgardevelopment.com/resource...Renderings.pdf

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 11:00 PM
Community Guy

Just met with them, slightly modified design, more glazing and the larger white walls broken up a bit more. Townhouse podium looks very good, as does the rooftop indoor/outdoor amenity space. There will also be a public pocket park on the north side as a community/building amenity.

Unit sizes go from around 380sqft studios to 2 and 3 bedroom units, townhouses will be around 1200sqft.

John T. Ross house will be leased office space.

I really like this project after seeing the design package and more details on the building and its design.

The developer was open and honest about the project, its intentions and their desire to ensure that they address a lot of little details to make the project as good as it can be.

Rental it will be.

If you like the project, please do submit a letter of support to Council, planning and transportation.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 3:25 PM
Community Guy

Hendrix - 95m

Updated Render with more glazing and pocket park for the community.

(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7377/1...13a1c704_z.jpg)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive