HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Basically the same as the West End or Commercial Dr.
The West End and Commercial Dr. libraries are dingy and old and stinky. Guildford is newer, cleaner, bigger, has a broader selection of materials (although the west end's LGBTQ selection is impressive), more and better computers. Guildford's fitness and aquatic centres are imcomparable to the ones at the West End or Commerical. Granted, Guildford doesn't have an ice rink, like the West End.

What major grocery stores exists on Commercial? I suppose there's a Safeway. And what malls exist in the West End and on Commercial?

I would also guess that although the #5 bus is more frequent than the #320 or #96B, reaching a Skytrain Station from Guildford is generally faster than from the West End. However, when it comes to the reverse direction, the West End has the edge. I generally find the bus (I can't remember the #) along Commercial slow and infrequent.

In the Gilmore Station, thread someone wished there was a new library in the area and another poster notes that there already is a library a ten minutes drive (drive--not a walk) away. I didn't realize Burnaby has only 4 libraries. Four?!?! In Burnaby's defence, I suppose residents can take advantage of a few Vancouver library branches, ie. Collingwood and King Edward and Hastings. In Guildford, a 10 minute drive would take me to three libraries, not including the one that actually exists in the neighbourhood.

Someone might question why I focus so much on recreation centres and libraries, but those things matter to me. If someone prefers to be closer to craft beer restaurants, more power to them.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
...why do only 80,000 of 2.4 million people live in downtown?
Based on the 2011 census, the population living on the downtown peninsula of the City of Vancouver was a touch under 100,000 people; that's 20,000 more than you quoted. Apropos of the City of Vancouver-Surrey comparison, that 20,000 omission from City of Vancouver's downtown population represents about 70% of downtown Surrey's population. (link)

Interestingly, downtown Surrey is approximately 5.3 km2 in size and downtown Vancouver about 5.5 km2, so they are surprisingly comparable in terms of land area. I've netted out Stanley Park from Downtown Vancouver, which would otherwise increase the size of the peninsula by an additional 3.85 km2.

In 2011, the West End had 44,560 people (link) and Downtown Vancouver (link) had 54,690, and that includes the Coal Harbour, Triangle West, Downtown South, Yaletown, False Creek North, Gastown, and Chinatown neighbourhoods. Surrey City Centre has 28,000, though that is rounded, and undated in the City's City Centre brochure (link).

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Apr 19, 2015 at 7:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
In the Gilmore Station, thread someone wished there was a new library in the area and another poster notes that there already is a library a ten minutes drive (drive--not a walk) away. I didn't realize Burnaby has only 4 libraries. Four?!?! In Burnaby's defence, I suppose residents can take advantage of a few Vancouver library branches, ie. Collingwood and King Edward and Hastings. In Guildford, a 10 minute drive would take me to three libraries, not including the one that actually exists in the neighbourhood.
You listed the bus time, not the driving time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Burnaby has four libraries - one for each quadrant (and I really doubt they'll add any more). In that area it's the McGill branch, near Hastings and Willingdon. It's only a 5 min drive from Brentwood Station, a bit over 10 mins by bus (inc walking time) or bike, and less than a 30 min walk.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley