HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Its really not up to any of us what codes are applied - it's up to the City in the interpretation of the NS Building Code. The code has different rules for a reno and then a teardown/rebuild. They are even more complicated when it comes to an attempted retention of a heritage building.

My understanding with the Roy situation is that regardless of whether it was a 'renovation' or rebuild; it would be up to the building inspector to attempt to bring it up to code. Because its a 'rebuild' it's easier.

Regardless of whatever we think; the decision on the Roy has been made. I have to agree with Keith, the developer has made the decision on what they are building and the city has agreed. Whether we like it or not; that's what is going to happen. I'd suggest that if we have thoughts on 'what should have been' we make sure that we preface it as a hypothetical discussion.
It's been made and that's fine—I'm just saying that Fenwick16's interpretation of building standards as they apply to the Roy is wrong. (Basically, it's exactly what you said: The rules are different for renos vs. rebuilds vs. new builds, and a reno of the building would never have required it to be brought up to the same standards as a new structure, with roomier floor joists and all, as he implied.)

I think it's important to bash these ideas out because they're relevant to planning and the city's future—Fenwick16 seemed to be arguing that the demolition of old buildings is inevitable, because they're not up to modern codes. Obviously, this is untrue.

That's all.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifta View Post
I know what you mean. I saw someone in the Library thread the other day complaining about things and saying what should be done instead.
As a public project that one should be fair game since we all own a piece of it and will be stuck with the bills.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 11:05 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Its really not up to any of us what codes are applied - it's up to the City in the interpretation of the NS Building Code. The code has different rules for a reno and then a teardown/rebuild. They are even more complicated when it comes to an attempted retention of a heritage building.

My understanding with the Roy situation is that regardless of whether it was a 'renovation' or rebuild; it would be up to the building inspector to attempt to bring it up to code. Because its a 'rebuild' it's easier.

Regardless of whatever we think; the decision on the Roy has been made. I have to agree with Keith, the developer has made the decision on what they are building and the city has agreed. Whether we like it or not; that's what is going to happen. I'd suggest that if we have thoughts on 'what should have been' we make sure that we preface it as a hypothetical discussion.
Thank you for the pertinent information.

I want to see the Roy demolished and replaced as soon as possible. I am hoping that they will tweak the design of the tower. Although they have an agreement on the general shape of the building, can't the exterior of the tower still be modified?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 12:49 AM
Urban Thinker

I'm surprised that you're so eager to see one of Halifax's most impressive and interesting heritage buildings demolished.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 1:22 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Saint John will gladly take that building if you guys don't want it! I can think of a few holes in the Uptown that it would fill in nicely.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 6:28 AM
積屍氣冥界波

More glass has gone up:

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 3:22 PM

I see the Moes are continuing their blistering pace.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 5:41 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Next door!

Now, with this development and future ones in the area, it would be nice to see the apartment building next to it reclad or something done with its bland exterior!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 6:20 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Now, with this development and future ones in the area, it would be nice to see the apartment building next to it reclad or something done with its bland exterior!
This building? It could do for a bit of cleaning, but I'd hate to see the exterior altered too much. It's one of the best examples of the International style that we have in the city.

Source

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 9:45 PM
Halifax Promoter!

just close up - you see it needs work.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 10:08 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
just close up - you see it needs work.
I realise that it could use some maintenance, but I strongly disagree that this is a bland exterior that should be reclad.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 10:57 PM

Yep, it's okay as far as design goes. But it needs maintenance to remove stains/algae/rust/chipped paint/faded paint and a damn good clean.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 4:32 PM
we built this city

Please tell me there won't be aqua blue glass features as it appears in the above picture...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 12:49 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Espace usage?

What is the intended use for the espace? I thought it was supposed to be for a boutique hotel, but haven't heard anything for a while now.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 1:11 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

My impression is that it will be offices. I've heard that Starfish plans to move some tenants there from the Roy Building. 1592 will be offices as well.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 3:30 AM
積屍氣冥界波

Glass update:

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 3:38 AM
Honored Member

This will be a great addition to Barrington Street once all the new windows are in the old section.

Hopefully the new Roy Building will progress more quickly than this one.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 11:40 AM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
This will be a great addition to Barrington Street once all the new windows are in the old section.

Hopefully the new Roy Building will progress more quickly than this one.
Yeah the pace is unbearably slow, but I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised by how this one turns out. Going to have a big impact relative to its size on Barrington.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 3:12 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Yeah the pace is unbearably slow, but I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised by how this one turns out. Going to have a big impact relative to its size on Barrington.
I agree. It's certainly not very tall, but having three brand new storefronts will do wonders for that block.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 6:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think a big part of the problem on Barrington right now is the low concentration of good storefronts. There aren't many real vacancies, and stores that leave seem to be replaced quickly (see: Carsand Mosher), but a lot of the buildings themselves are out of commission for one reason or another. On top of that there aren't many large, modern storefronts to attract anything other than small-scale boutique retailers. In a couple of years this will change. It's just too bad that rebuilding the street took 5 or 10 years instead of 2 or 3 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth