HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Not really surprising. Who exactly would buy a $10M condo in Pittsburgh? He seems to have pretty tacky taste, but that might just be me.
Agreed. Awfully tacky. But surely expensive.

And there's no way that duplex could be gutted and renovated for $500K. Not even in Pittsburgh. Every room is bad.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 1:02 AM
Ex Houstonian

Some photos I took today.

AF5_1399 by photolitherland, on Flickr
Oakland with the new Carnegie building visible as viewed from the SouthSide Slopes.

AF5_1411 by photolitherland, on Flickr
Lawrenceville as viewed from the Hill.

Untitled by photolitherland, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 2:51 AM
somewhere in-between

^ I love those first two shots. Perspectives that you don't often see photographed.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:01 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

This is awesome.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 5:03 PM

thanks for the sweet views, photolith. Love that perspective of Oakland/East End.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
thanks for the sweet views, photolith. Love that perspective of Oakland/East End.
Me too--a lot of what makes the East End special is packed into that photo.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 12:47 PM

I haven't done one of these in a while but things have changed so I think it is worth checking in.

After a mild down year for Pittsburgh MSA employment in 2013, 2014-16 were three very slow growth years, but growth accelerated in 2017:

As always, the overall number obscures some underlying churn, and here are some of the sectors that explain that acceleration.

First, it was a good year for the big white collar job categories. Professional and Business Services, which includes everything from lawyers to laboratories, has been a mainstay of growth since the Great Recession (although I am a little worried about a possible tech bubble 2.0):

Eds and Meds and Financial Activities had slowed down in recent years, but had a good 2017:

Manufacturing and Mining both continued to have down years, but at least the pace of the decrease was much lower, and they might be finding a bottom (note Mining is really a small category, despite the hype):

Leisure and Hospitality has been accelerating recently:

Finally, aside from a bump around the time of the stimulus and 2010 Census, losses of government jobs have been an ongoing drag on the overall numbers:

All this continues to help explain both demographic trends (e.g., the ongoing blue to white collar shift explaines the fact the younger population in the area tends to be much more highly educated on average than the older population), and development patterns (e.g., there continues to be growing demand for the sorts of housing young professionals want, but we also need affordable housing for people in, say, Leisure and Hospitality jobs which is convenient to the relevant jobs centers).

Last edited by BrianTH; Jan 16, 2018 at 1:25 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 1:35 PM
Ex Houstonian

Those photos were with my new 600mm lens so expect to see a whole ton of super zoomed in Pittsburgh stuff on here from now on.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Those photos were with my new 600mm lens so expect to see a whole ton of super zoomed in Pittsburgh stuff on here from now on.
If you ever get a chance, you should take some pictures from the Children's Hospital. Unfortunately my son was in cancer treatment there for a year and a half (he's fine now) but there are amazing panoramic views of Bloomfield and Lawrenceville from the 9th floor.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 6:39 PM

Some details came out regarding Deb Gross's requested delay of a new industrial park in Upper Lawrenceville. It's behind a paywall, but I managed to get to the content through outline.com:

Quote:
In a statement to the Pittsburgh Business Times, Gross said: "Due to a breakneck rate of development, the neighborhood has already evolved, and the community organizations felt that the URA's vision for the site hasn't stayed aligned with the neighborhood needs. We will be all sitting down in the coming weeks to be sure that the developer's proposal supports the community plan."
Basically, Lawrenceville has changed rapidly since the industrial park was first proposed, and people are no longer sure if that's the highest and best use for the land.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 8:03 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Some details came out regarding Deb Gross's requested delay of a new industrial park in Upper Lawrenceville. It's behind a paywall, but I managed to get to the content through outline.com:

Basically, Lawrenceville has changed rapidly since the industrial park was first proposed, and people are no longer sure if that's the highest and best use for the land.
I was never a fan of this idea.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 9:45 PM

Developers are taking another run at the former whiskey building on the South Shore next to the Liberty Bridge:

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...n-marketplace/

Quote:
Kraemer, Mazzarini and partner Bill Stolze plan to highlight the building’s history with black and white photos and artistic renderings of Finch’s whiskey labels. Wood, brick and copper — a nod to the whiskey stills that once filled the space — will appear throughout the building, from the artisan market to a new distillery and restaurant.

The wooden beams lend themselves particularly well to adaptive reuse, naturally dividing the space into individual bays for vendors that will offer products including coffee, baked goods, cheeses, meats and cigars. Designed by local architecture studio, Designstream, LLC, the market will also feature walkways and seating.

As part of the $6 million renovation, every other floor will be removed to create 15-foot ceilings on each level. The developers then plan to add a fifth-floor entertainment complex. Possible uses of the space include a whiskey tasting room, art gallery or concert venue. On the riverside, the rooftop space will be clad in glass to showcase the city below.
There have been at least a couple failed residential projects for this building. This idea sounds pretty cool and is obviously leveraging the other big developments now happening nearby.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 11:25 AM
Hell with the Lid Off.

That whole area has great potential. Speaking of buildings that once manufactured alcoholic beverages. Does anyone know what is happing with the old Iron City brewery? I saw plans a few years ago. But haven't heard anything since. Apparently Core realty had 100 million redevelopment plan, but backed out in Aug 2016.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 2:06 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I haven't done one of these in a while but things have changed so I think it is worth checking in.

After a mild down year for Pittsburgh MSA employment in 2013, 2014-16 were three very slow growth years, but growth accelerated in 2017:
Very encouraging analysis, BrianTH!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I was never a fan of this idea.
Right, it doesn't seem to make too much sense to return this riverfront tract to industrial use considering what has been happening in Lawrenceville overall... and even right in the immediate Upper Lawrenceville proximity.

Though Butler becomes much more industrial after 55th, particularly with the Sunoco terminal at 57th, there is going to be big change in the area with the "Mews on Butler" townhouse developement commencing between 55th and 56th (I did hate to see that old brick wall and building taken down... wish they could have integrated it into the new development). Any thoughts on what that tract should be used for? More residential, office, parkland?

And when you consider the larger area... with the planned riverfront trail and how Sharpsburg is showing a resurgence just across the bridge... it seems that a non-industrial use would be preferred. I think that Sharpsburg is on its way to becoming a much more desirable location, given its easy access to both Lawrenceville and the East End, intact Main St. commercial district, pretty good housing stock, top-flight schools, and probably the best waterfront location in the "city".

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 4:37 PM

Would love to see a proper pedestrian bridge linking Sharpsburg / Aspinwall riverfronts to Lawrenceville. Any chance that has been spoken about?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Would love to see a proper pedestrian bridge linking Sharpsburg / Aspinwall riverfronts to Lawrenceville. Any chance that has been spoken about?
The Brilliant Branch RR Bridge just upriver from the HP Bridge has been talked about for bike/ped use. Would serve to connect the planned riverfront trails along both banks of the Allegheny. I think it's a huge piece of the puzzle for getting both trails underway.

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/featu...anch-railroad/

Being able to bike from the East End along the Allegheny to Lawrenceville, Strip, Downtown, North Shore, riverbend towns Millvale, Sharpsburg, Aspinwall (or from Fox Chapel, Aspinwall, Sharpsburg, etc. to East End and those parts of town) along a continous trail would be a huge economic driver. I think we'll probably see it on the north bank of the Allegheny first.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Developers are taking another run at the former whiskey building on the South Shore next to the Liberty Bridge:

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...n-marketplace/

There have been at least a couple failed residential projects for this building. This idea sounds pretty cool and is obviously leveraging the other big developments now happening nearby.
I was involved in one of the failed attempts. What killed that project was that the developer wanted to punch holes in the western face of the building so that the units would have views of the city though a combination of windows and balconies. The adjacent building wouldn't sell their air rights though, so there was no guarantee that those views wouldn't be blocked in the future. There were also issues with the fire code related to those openings and the adjacent building. Without those views, the developer could not sell the units for enough to recoup their investment. I am happy to see this new project in the works. That's a neat old building.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Does Duck Hollow have the pull to stop a connecting road from going through as well? I know that it's a fairly steep hill, but it would allow for quick road access to Murray Avenue without the need for an additional bridge over Nine Mile Run.
There are surprisingly few duck hollow residents. I think someone, perhaps one of the current residents, has been collecting property and leaving them vacant. But still, it wouldn't be a great solution to connect the road system down there. It would require much more earth moving to get a road from the phase III down to that elevation. The existing plan at least shares part of that dirt work with the road down to commercial near the irish center.

Running a road through duck hollow would also require eminent domain and bulldozing most of the houses. The railroad bridge is also too low for trucks to pass under. Normal fire trucks can't currently service duck hollow. I think a new bridge, upstream of the railroad bridge is in the works though. Hopefully the old bridge is left behind and eventually used to connect the riverfront trail to braddock through carrie furnace.

Connecting through swisshelm park would also be problematic. All of those streets are too narrow for 2-way traffic.

With all that said, i hope the phase III RFP produces bids so high that it never gets built.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 8:14 PM
Flew The Coop

Greetings! I've been watching this board for a long time, and have really enjoyed all the great information and discussion. Sadly, since I left Pittsburgh in 2012 and missed the building boom, I can't contribute much.

However, I just read that Apple is looking to invest $350B in the US, that includes a new HQ2 bringing 20,000 jobs. I'm sure Pittsburgh is not remotely in the running for the new HQ, but it may help narrow the field for landing Amazon since Austin is the most likely candidate city for Apple. They plan to make their decision later in 2018.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ap...obs-2018-01-17

http://www.512tech.com/technology/fo...72khHjzYlWM9I/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations