HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 1:44 PM

I love the idea of the Palace building being completely renovated for the new Star location. This would really enhance that block of Ouellette and get rid of that ugly eyesore of a facade that's on there now. Here's hoping that the University will buy the old Star building for it's campus and allow this to happen.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 2:24 PM

Definately. It's a much better use of that corner/building, it would put The Windsor Star front and centre. It's great that the university is already moving downtown. If they could make the deal with the current Star building work it would be another big boost for downtown.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 6:35 PM

It kind of sucks that the theater will close, but I guess it's a good trade off, we rarely go to the palace anyway. It would be nice if somone would build a nice new movie theater somewhere in the core, but I won't hold my breath.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 6:30 PM

The site of the old Pillete Van plant

A new article today about the former site of the old Chrysler van plant (which if you remember was also the site of the old Chrysler 'new' paint shop that was for the most part built and then torn down).

Quote:
WINDSOR, Ont. -- Chrysler Group is leasing a new 755,000-square-foot warehouse being constructed on the former site of the Pillette Road Assembly plant.

The new facility, slated to to completed in the third quarter of 2012, will house auto parts required for just-in-time delivery to the Windsor Assembly Plant.

The new warehouse, which will replace two facilities in the city’s west end, “will offer more space and proximity to the plant, thus achieving benefits for the company, our customers and the community,” said Louann Gosselin, spokeswoman for Chrysler Canada.

The new facility, which will feature 185 dock doors, will be located Grand Central Business Park, an arm of The Rosati Group.

Read more: http://www.windsorstar.com/Chrysler+...#ixzz1b46PLKoH

Last edited by Symz; Oct 18, 2011 at 12:57 AM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 6:35 PM

New life for old bank

Here's a small article from windsorite.ca about the former CIBC building at the corner of Oullette & Wyandotte that has sat empty for years. It is being renovated after a small local company bought the building under the city's City-wide Improvement Plan.

http://windsorite.ca/2011/10/32213/
Quote:
Work continues on the old CIBC Banking building located at the intersection of Wyandotte and Ouellette avenue in Downtown Windsor.

The former bank is undergoing extensive renovations inside and outside, and will become the new head office of Tessonics Inc.

Founded in 2005, the company specializes in diagnostic imaging equipment that uses ultrasonic technology.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 11:12 PM

Wow, with all these new developments, 5 years from now the downtown core is going to be a lot different!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Wow, with all these new developments, 5 years from now the downtown core is going to be a lot different!
Definately! Let's hope so! Downtown really needs a boost. The city needs to re-invent itself and boost retail and and the number of residents in the core.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 3:12 PM

I think that both downtown Windsor and downtown Detroit are on the brink of major transformations, with all the new investments announced or soon to be announced. With all the new jobs and new students coming to the core, residential construction and retail will surely follow in time. Eventually we will have a dynamic, diversified and healthy core to help change the reallity and perceptions of our changing city.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 7:17 PM

Airport Hangar

Construction on the new Maintenance Repair hangar at the airport is still humming along.

Photos courtesey of http://www.windsorite.ca

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 11:04 PM

Erie street's 'La bella strada' project is coming along.

Article and photos courtesey of http://www.windsorite.ca
Quote:
Erie Street’s new $2.4 million dollar look is coming together lately. Over the past week, construction crews paved Via Italia’s new roundabout (Erie Street and Parent).

The “La Bella Strada” project is a LEED Certified, outdoor, cafe-oriented setting styled with “old country” elements, reduced on-street parking and will feature an incredibly ‘greened’ stretch of roadway with hundreds of additional trees and flower planters.

Phase One of the project included the reconstruction of the entire street between Howard and Hall.

Over the summer, new curbs were constructed to accommodate sidewalks and accompanying patio spaces.

Completion of the last remaining road work components of La Bella Strada — including the roundabout — is expected for the end of construction season in November.

This street has always been in imaculate shape and before it even has a chance to crumble the slightest bit they're putting money back into it. I guess that's fine considering Erie street is known in the region as a mecca for italian food, but it makes me think of street like Ottawa street that haven't seen any investments in infrastructure in a long time and is in need of a facelift.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 11:41 PM

^ I've thought the same thing. I guess it's because Ottawa Street mainly serves locals while Erie Street serves tourists (not that that makes it ok to invest in Erie while letting Ottawa crumble).

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 3:07 PM

Ottawa street is such a gem in the rough, I hope that eventually it sees an upswing in new stores and investment. I love old commercial neighbourhoodslike Ottawa Street and along Droullard Rd., they have so much character that you just don't get with all these new big box stores that are so prevelent nowadays.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 5:39 PM

There's a popular restaurant on Ottawa street that is relocating. Smoke & Spice southern barbeque (mmmmm good stuff) is relocating to the vacant Montana's near Tecumseh Mall. I also read a new family oriented restaurant will be taking over the vacated space on Ottawa so it's win-win!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 10:50 PM

Some more recent pics of the new Maintenance Repair and Overhaul hanger at the airport.

Photos courtesy of http://www.windsorstar.com

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 2:47 PM

Wow, that sucker is huge!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Wow, that sucker is huge!
Definately. Ofcourse it sticks out alot too since there's nothing of any real elevation near the airport.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 12:01 AM

Old Tim Horton's downtown

The old Tim Horton's at the corner of Oullette & Giles is being torn down. It will be replaced with a medical clinic with a pharmacy.

I'm glad to see the abandoned Timmies go, but a bit dissapointed with what's going up in it's place, more of the same, single story building with a parking lot in front of it.

Story & photos courtesy of http://www.windsorite.ca

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 2:47 PM

^ It's about time, I was wondering when and if that spot was ever going to be redeveloped. One less blighted property to look at now.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 2:14 PM

West End Zellers

The west end Zellers plaze located on Huran Church Rd is going to be redeveloped. The current Zellers building will be divided up with new tenants. The main tenant being Fresh Co.. There is not a new Zellers store seen on the site plans so I'm assuming it's closing at this location. There's been uncertainty about which Zellers will be converted to Target stores and I would say this confirms this location is not one of them.

Story and photos courtesy of http://www.windsorite.ca

Quote:
A site plan application to City Council for the redevelopment of the Ambassador Centre on Huron Church and Tecumseh Road West leaves out the current Zellers store.

The new site plans shows a new Fresh Co store to go in the south section of what is currently Zellers, while the remaining portions of the building will be divided into up to four other retail units.

It is unknown at this time if Zellers plans to utilize one of the smaller divided units or close altogether. Earlier this year, Zellers Canada was bought out by American retailer Target.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 4:29 PM

Thank god that tacky plaza is getting a makeover, it's so dingy and dated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario